BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Is my dealership giving me the runaround?

So I visited my dealer and they don't have a build sheet, prod number, or status of any kind, including 047. This is 7 days after I put down my desposit. I asked why and he said they haven't submitted the order yet, but they have 4 allocations and I'm first in line because i'm local....not to mention bumped up in front of others.

I feel like I'm being screwed. Not to mention they offered me $20k for my 06 ZCP M3 which was a bit of a punch in the jeans.

Thoughts? Why wouldn't they have an 047 status and build sheet days after I put down my deposit or have a firm date on their allocations? Am I missing something in the process?

Should I start looking elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

You should at least have a build sheet and a 047 status confirmation and maybe an estimated production week. I would demand to speak to the sales manager and get some clarification.

In case things turn out for the worse, hopefully your deposit is refundable.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Suntrup BMW?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
You should at least have a build sheet and a 047 status confirmation and maybe an estimated production week. I would demand to speak to the sales manager and get some clarification.

In case things turn out for the worse, hopefully your deposit is refundable.
Deposit is refundable and on my Amex in case they try to backpedal on that. I could not understand why they weren't submitting the build sheet if I know the color and options I want *AND* they filled out a sales invoice and are running my credit.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvs View Post
Suntrup BMW?
Yes indeed. Do you have a story to tell about them?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sort of, I guess. I would be one of the "non-local" people with a deposit down who just got bumped, it seems.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sort of, I guess. I would be one of the "non-local" people with a deposit down who just got bumped, it seems.
Do you have a build sheet and an 047 status? If so you're further along than I am.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have been told August delivery, but the allocation doesn't seem to have progressed to the stage of a production number. I have a basic order sheet, no other status information.

I'm somewhat concerned as well, to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have been told August delivery, but the allocation doesn't seem to have progressed to the stage of a production number. I have a basic order sheet, no other status information.

I was told Oct delivery so I guess they lied to me about being bumped up. I didn't request it and thought it was rather rude to do to other people and now I'm REALLY annoyed they lied about screwing other people over to screw me over!!!

They were less than pleasant to deal with when I bought my M3 back in 2006 and this is worse than that. Customer service is not their forte and I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to hang on to deposits so someone will get fed up and pick up the M3s they have sitting around on the lot.

I was dealing with the head financing guy and the fact they cant enter or produce a build sheet or 047 status makes me doubt that they even have allocations.

That being said are there any MSRP allocations left?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It's really hard. I've called around my local dealerships before looking elsewhere and no one had any allocations left, and that was weeks ago.

From my, admittedly basic, understanding of the allocations and factory status codes, I would think for a car to be in the US for delivery in August it should be accepted by now with a date.

So October may have been accurate.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #11
1VOM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 2014 R8 V10 Plus

it sounds like your getting the run around :/ if your their "first in line" they shoudl at the very least be able to show you an order bank with your name at the top and a 047 status. If they don't even have a 047 status then they have not even requested a spot from BMW. Unfortunately your situation doesn't look promising
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1VOM View Post
it sounds like your getting the run around :/ if your their "first in line" they shoudl at the very least be able to show you an order bank with your name at the top and a 047 status. If they don't even have a 047 status then they have not even requested a spot from BMW. Unfortunately your situation doesn't look promising
That was the assumption I was working under. Thanks for the confirmation.

I spoke with another dealership and he said the allocations come between the 25-31st of the month so there's some light at the end of the tunnel but honestly, there's NO reason I can think of why they'd take my $1k deposit AND not put in an order and get an 047 status unless they were trying to pull something.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

You could call Autohaus and see if they have any allocations. I have dealt with Booker Wade out there and he's an awesome CA.

I know people with stories about Suntrup. Some people in the auto dealer industry in St. Louis have started referring to Suntrup as "Defendant Motors"

Last edited by Sinister Crayon; 07-18-2011 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Hm. This makes me wonder. I put a deposit down with my dealer in south central PA, got a complete sheet w/pricing, etc. and they entered in an order. Then I got a call that it moved up to August, but I still haven't heard about production #, more specific date, etc. I don't know why the dealers are being all cagey about this. It's kind of dampening the experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Crayon View Post
You could call Autohaus and see if they have any allocations. I have dealt with Booker Wade out there and he's an awesome CA.

I know people with stories about Suntrup. Some people in the auto dealer industry in St. Louis have started referring to Suntrup as "Defendant Motors"
They were the first ones I called. Long waiting list and no open allocations. Believe me, Suntrup was my last choice in the STL area but sadly enough they always have the most M cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #16
dwildone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP M3 View Post
They were the first ones I called. Long waiting list and no open allocations. Believe me, Suntrup was my last choice in the STL area but sadly enough they always have the most M cars.
I'd be very leery of the story at Suntrup. I am 99.9% certain they are getting no more than 2 allocations. I purchased mine at Autohaus after putting my name on the list in January, and it finished production about two weeks ago. I saw the allocation list for the Central Region sent by the area manager in March of this year, and there were only two dealers in the entire region confirmed to be getting more than one allocation at that point- Autohaus and Kansas City. The list had every dealer and the dates of their planned allocations. I believe that Autohaus still only has two confirmed- mine and one for an October build. I wouldn't be surprised if more come through, but I find it highly suspect that Suntrup knows (or can confirm) they would be getting 4...

My original allocation date was to be October, and it was moved up to July. I think it is reasonable to hope that means things are going well and there will be more cars available later in the year than originally claimed, but at this point anything is possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #17
dwildone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

Quote:

To be honest, I would be concerned as well. August delivery would mean that the car would be built and on a boat- my PCD is set for September 7th and my car is waiting on a boat...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #18
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Definitely interesting to hear from dwildone confirming that the list of allocations for the area was known as early as this spring. ZCP... it sounds like a chat with the dealer sales manager is in order, so that you can get some clarification... I agree with the others.. at the very least you should have an order status of 047 and an order entered into the system. I had two deposits placed and orders in the computer at two dealers, and neither charged my credit card...

As far as the dealer indicating they would move you to the front as you are local, compared to other buyers. that's an interesting policy, and I suppose it is their right to do so.. but I sure would be upset if I were the person that was bumped.. I suppose the dealer wouldn't really care if an out of market customer is upset compared to securing future business from a local customer.. but that's sick and wrong..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-18-2011 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #19
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My CA has been very helpful so far, so I have really no issue at the moment aside from being worried about dates for August delivery. Well, and I guess this thread now, as well.

I'll follow up later this week and try to get a status code for my order.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #20
Mephistopheles
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
it sounds like a chat with the dealer sales manager is in order, so that you can get some clarification...
I live close to Suntrup and have dealt with them before. This is their sales manager (not my video)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #21
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
I live close to Suntrup and have dealt with them before. This is their sales manager (not my video)
That makes me sick.

The last email I got from my sales guy on the 15th was this: "I talked again to my GM just to get some clarity on the deal, and you are indeed first in the order bank but we cant break out a build sheet just yet the system wont let us yet." This was after telling me the build sheet was specced out and being faxed to me no less than an hour earlier.

Emailing him now to see if they've had any luck with their "computer problems" and can produce some sort of verification that I am on record as having an order placed with BMW AG. I don't see it going very well.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #22
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Got my fingers crossed for you, mate.

I dunno though; it just seems like St. Louis has like the worst BMW dealers in the country. I'm working with Motorwerks up in Chicago right now mostly so I don't have to deal with any of them.

As a side note; presuming it all goes well (hopefully!) I hope we can get to see your 1M at one of the STLBMWCCA's "Cars and Coffee" mornings... they are an absolute blast. If you're not already a member, you should join.
Appreciate 0