BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Picked up my car this morning.

After a long wait, I finally picked up my Alpine White 1M, with Nav and Apps. The delivery process was the smoothest and most pleasant I have experienced. Harry at Bema Autosport was awesome. He has been trying to sell me a car since I was a twenty-something year old university punk.

The drive home was fun, but on a boring stretch of divided highway. I was concerned about the break-in on such a road, but made the best of it by switching gears from 6th to 5th, 4th and sometimes 3rd, all the while varying the RPM from about 2,000-4,500. I set the speed warning to 170 kph, just in case I forgot about the break-in speed limit.

The acceleration in higher gears is notably breathtaking. I accidentally went wide open throttle a few times, because the pedal travel seems shorter than I'm used to. Seems like 2.5-3 inches. Experimenting with the throttle response was fun. It was like the thing has electric motors. For example, it seemed like there is a given acceleration for each minute throttle position. If you push it another 1 cm, it is almost like the turbos spool up to the higher RPM, then you are at a higher acceleration instantly. This car could pull out stumps, I'm sure.

I had bought the iPhone 4 media snap-in adapter ahead of time from www.getbmwparts.com. Twitter and Facebook was kind of neat. The plugin was great (the one where you get all the iPod funcionality on the Nav screen).

My wife had a drive. She loved it! I'm surprised, as she normally doesn't get excited about cars. Now she wants her own BMW!! What have I created? (Hopefully she likes the 5-Series, or better yet, M5 )

Calculated fuel mileage so far is 11.7 L/100km. I didn't notice any obvious droning. The seats are nice, although after 3 hours, my butt was getting sore. I had my little ones in the back, so had the seat slid forward more and reclined less than I like to accommodate them. I'm 6'7" tall, and didn't feel my hair touching the ceiling.

So far, I have not scraped the front lip, or diff cooler. I'm very cautious with those ones, and have briefed my wife well. I can't say I was so careful at the gas station when I parked downwind, opened the door and it flew open into the pump!! Holy frick I almost had a bird. By some stroke of magic/luck/God send, I must have hit the plasticky nozzle cover and only left a black mark which rubbed off easily with my finger. I thought for sure there was gonna be a dent. Almost ruined a very nice day.

Once I was home, parked it in the garage and used the bug and tar remover to get rid of all the bug carcasses. I think I'm gonna keep a bottle of it and a rag in the trunk. Managed to get the BMW My Remote app working (via iTunes UK download). As I speak, my DVD In Motion file has arrived. (For entertaining the kiddies). The only other "mod" I plan on doing is enabling the rear fog lights. I have to find a European light switch first for that one.

All in all, it was a terrific ending to an, at times, agonizing wait. I placed my order sometime in March. This is my first BMW, as well as my first high performance car. I love it. Of course it was worth the wait.

Colin

07-19-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, 1M,

Welcome to the club! Glad you like it.
Keep us posted on how your getting on with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:03 AM   #3
vito747
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 coupe M

Congrats!!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
iDave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Pack

Congrats ! Enjoy your car !
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:08 AM   #5
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Congrats mate

Happy motoring ............
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
badwolf340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

enjoy mate ....get some pics up ....
      07-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I thought this picture was kinda funny, sort of anti-clean. Normally I keep it bug-free, but had to run and catch a flight. My wife has some nicer ones on her camera, that we haven't transferred to a computer yet.
Attached Images

07-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

I hope you didn't catch a flight and the car will remain this way for longer than a few hours/days...you may be setting yourself up for a nice clear coat etching surprise if the bugs are acidic.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

jeebus! do you live in a moth preserve!? thats possibly the worst bugging of a car i've ever seen! get 'em off post haste!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

wow hahahaha thats insane. haha at least you cleaned your windshield. Wonder what that looked like from the inside
congrats
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
jeebus! do you live in a moth preserve!? thats possibly the worst bugging of a car i've ever seen! get 'em off post haste!

You should come over here to DE and see what driving thru bugs at V-max (or close to it!) can do to the front end of a car! lol Its like bugs being shot out of a shotgun at you!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You should come over here to DE and see what driving thru bugs at V-max (or close to it!) can do to the front end of a car! lol Its like bugs being shot out of a shotgun at you!
i actually did a fair amount of v-max in a white 1m a couple weeks back in germany (around the ring24 and mfest week), but was fortunate not to have made a mess of the car! we DID, however, make a bit of a mess out of our frozen black M3 in the mfest mud! the photo doesn't do it justice, but frozen black really doesn't wear dirt too well! ...and i wish i had a picture of the poor carpets!

Last edited by fourtailpipes; 07-28-2011 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

that's a load of money. nice cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #14
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I live in southern SK, and 95%+ of my driving is smashing bugs on the highway. Hopefully, the Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover that I used 5 or 6 times so far has enough wax in it that there is a protective coating on the bumper.
Dackel, I'd love to see that first hand. Planning on coming over for the Autoshow in September with a co-worker.
      07-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #15
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Saskatchewan? Yeah, I've been peeling em off big time in Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthColin View Post
I live in southern SK, and 95% of my driving is smashing bugs on the highway. Hopefully, the Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover that I used 5 or 6 times so far has enough wax in it that there is a protective coating on the bumper.
Dackel, I'd love to see that first hand. Planning on coming over for the Autoshow in September with a co-worker.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #16
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I thought this picture was kinda funny, sort of anti-clean. Normally I keep it bug-free, but had to run and catch a flight. My wife has some nicer ones on her camera, that we haven't transferred to a computer yet.
Disney's "A Bug's Life" part II
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #17
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Last week, I saw some bug strikes on the front of the rear tire arch. At first, I was thinking, "Whoa, those rear arches are wide!!" Upon closer inspection, it was blood splatter from some sort of road kill! Adventures in Saskatchewan!! PS-I cleaned that one up ASAP.
      07-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #18
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
HOLY BUG KILL BATMAN!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #19
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Got a good coating of a different species of bug last week. More like mosquitoes and flies than moths. Was very time consuming to remove them. Had to resort to clay bar, which worked like a charm. Does the clay have any adverse effect if used too much? I suspect it will wear down the wax coating or clear coat at worst.
      08-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #20
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Does the clay have any adverse effect if used too much? I suspect it will wear down the wax coating or clear coat at worst.
Clay bar just removes any heavy surface contaminants / fallout etc, if wont affect your paint or clearcoat if used with some sort of lubricant like quick detailer or the likes.......
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #21
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Quote:
Does the clay have any adverse effect if used too much? I suspect it will wear down the wax coating or clear coat at worst.
Clay bar just removes any heavy surface contaminants / fallout etc, if wont affect your paint or clearcoat if used with some sort of lubricant like quick detailer or the likes.......
OK. Good. Used with detailing spray.