BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
saratoga mdude
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe

favorite route from welt to ring & ring hotel

Group: I am taking ED of a 1M on saturday sept. 17 at 9:10am… i plan to spend a couple hours at the welt and then drive up to the ring and stay overnight, and do some laps on sunday at 5-6/10ths (just to have the experience, not turn a time) before driving back to Munich. Can someone recommend a favorite route to nurburg, and a good place to stay that's not to far from the nordschlief? any other thoughts and recommendations enroute would be greatly appreciated. I'm a Germany virgin, with middle school level french and italian but zero german, so places requiring some language skills are verboten.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You realize that is like a five (plus) hour drive! And that is IF there are no stau's(traffic jams)! 530 kms one way. It will be like driving from NYC to Richmond, VA.

And what about your 1,200 mile break in?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
snowfro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 318i

Dackel is right, it's no walk in the park. But I just did that last month and had a blast. We made it a 10 hour drive by going southwest first through the black forest to get to the ring. You may not have time for that though.

Search "snowfro" and you'll see a nice long thread with everyone's pros and cons. It all comes down to how much sustained intensive driving you're able to enjoy. Not what you can handle. It's what you can enjoy and only you know that.

We clocked 878 miles in a little over 48 hours. It was one of the best 48 hours of my life!

Read through it and if you have any questions let me know. Also make sure the ring is open that weekend...
2004 x3 manual
2011 1m
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

The Dorint at Nurburg is basic but good IMO, the vista from the balcony is what it is all about when staying there.

From the balcony of our room;

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
We are going to be making this trip as part of a vacation in Europe in August in a rental car, does anyone know if the Ring use is restricted for rental cars?

WB
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
saratoga mdude
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe

Dackel and Snofro: thanks so much for the info. I figured it was about a 5 hour drive (used to do Washington DC to Westchester NY 6-8 times a year for over 10 yrs,so at first I wasn' too intimidated, but driving at 100-120mph is different than 70-80 in terms of drain, and i wasn't factoring in the traffic jam risk. I agree that after flying in Fri am, and doing the whole Welt experience sat am, it may be a bit much to do this. I'll have to think more on it. Basically, the ED plan was for next June, when I could build it into a 10 day vacation, but the 1M build cut off in December forced my hand to this fall, and I just have fri-Sun before a 2 day business meeting in Munich and then the flight home. the upside is my plane fare is covered; the downside is i'll prob. just get to do a little local driving sat and sunday before dropping at harms. At least I get the 1M though-- rather that than a 135i or 335d next June.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

I took the A8 through Ingolstadt and Stuttgart, pretty much following the GPS directions from the car. At some point northwest of Stuttgart there was an accident that had the autobahn shutdown, so we hit some secondary roads that ran along the Rhine river through Koblenz. Those were some of the most memorable roads and scenery I saw in Germany. I think if you hit any of the roads south of Nurburg along the Rhine, and set your GPS settings to avoid highways you probably can't go wrong. Keep in mind this is a pretty long ride. We left Munich at 7am, got to the track around 5pm, left the track around 8pm, and then headed back south with a plan to get into Zuffenhausen to spend the night. Of course things never go as planned, and we hit a massive traffic jam on the autobahn that literally had everyone walking away from their cars for hours. After nearly a five hour delay some cars started creeping between trucks and along the tiny shoulder, and we were able to get to an exit around a half-mile away and re-route. Eventually we got into Zuffenhausen at around 4am and couldn't find a hotel room for an hour. Of course it was the only hotel we stayed in the entire trip with no a/c, and probably the only really warm evening we ran into. The bed was like a plank! Paid 140euro for maybe a half-hour worth of sleep. Should have slept in the car!

If you're driving the autobahn routes give yourself plenty of time. When accidents happen they can literally tie things up for hours. When you see people getting out of their cars then you can plan on a lengthy delay.

The Porsche museum is really cool; don't miss it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
snowfro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 318i

^^^ I was pretty bummed we missed the Porsche museum, but we were on a tight schedule. Second to driving the ring you might want to just leave the welt and go southwest into Switzerland and find a hotel somewhere in the black forest, so you'll drive about 3-4 hours only the first day. Then drive the rest of the black forest, cut through stuttgart to see Porsche and back to Munich the next day. It can be your own custom ring. The black forest was pretty fun. I hear it is pretty packed with tourists in the summer but we didn't seem to have a problem. Maybe because it had rained? Anyways, those roads are awesome and give you an excuse to check out the Porsche museum too!
2004 x3 manual
2011 1m
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

I'm taking delivery on a 1M on Sept 23rd at about 9am and then my brother and I are driving to the Ring!

The mapquest shows a 5 hour drive and goes right by Hockenheimring. We are staying at am-Tiergarten, owned and run by Sabine Schmits mother and right near entrance to Ring.

Watching VLN race on Sat and then driving Ring on Sunday! Planning the entire weekend there before going back to Munich for O-fest! We don't want a traffic jam to screw up our chances of driving the Ring!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
BimmerJim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Garage List
A lot of construction around Stuttgart so you would need to plan accordingly. Also, on A8 near the Stuttgart Flughafen (airport) is a 23K stretch of speed cameras. Good luck and have fun with your new 1M on the Ring.

"M-the most powerful Letter in the World"!
Appreciate 0