BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

Suggestions for seat covers?

I think my 1M might be a keeper, and I bought it instead of leasing like I've done with my previous BMW's, and I want to make an effort to take better care of the interior. Any suggestions on seat covers? I've done a little searching on the web but haven't seen anything that really looks good. Ideally I'd like something in a fitted cotton cover with some sort of "M" logo on it. I kind of like the way the BMW sheepskin seatvests look, but the bolsters are exposed and this is where the seats tend to pickup most of their wear. I've even thought a little about full sheepskin covers, which were pretty popular back in the 80's when I started driving, and the days of sheepskin seatcovers, coco floor mats, and tinted sunroof deflectors in my 320i! The 1M has almost an old-school, back-to-basics feel that sheepskins wouldn't necessarily be out of place in.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
I think my 1M might be a keeper, and I bought it instead of leasing like I've done with my previous BMW's, and I want to make an effort to take better care of the interior. Any suggestions on seat covers? I've done a little searching on the web but haven't seen anything that really looks good. Ideally I'd like something in a fitted cotton cover with some sort of "M" logo on it. I kind of like the way the BMW sheepskin seatvests look, but the bolsters are exposed and this is where the seats tend to pickup most of their wear. I've even thought a little about full sheepskin covers, which were pretty popular back in the 80's when I started driving, and the days of sheepskin seatcovers, coco floor mats, and tinted sunroof deflectors in my 320i! The 1M has almost an old-school, back-to-basics feel that sheepskins wouldn't necessarily be out of place in.
The best way to protect the seats on the 1M is to have a $3000 beater as your sweaty/nasty driver . I'm keeping my A4 just for the same purpose.

Sheepskin IMHO:
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
The best way to protect the seats on the 1M is to have a $3000 beater as your sweaty/nasty driver . I'm keeping my A4 just for the same purpose.

Sheepskin IMHO:
Keep it in the shade as much as possible and use a good leather cleaner and leather conditioner. Even if you keep the seats covered, the leather can still dry up over time. Forget seat covers, defeats the purpose, you will slide around more. Just take care of it, drive it. If seats get worn, have them re-upholstered in 7 years. The seat cushions will be worn by then cover or no cover.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
ADVANT123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Install a set of BMW Performance seats - it will keep your stock leather seats looking like new for years....
2015 Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
I plan to get the seat covers from BMW for the 135. You cannot cover the side bolsters because it interferes with the seat airbag. I have to get something because when I take my track wheels in the back seat the dog must ride upfront. I'll be gald when my son fabricates a hitch so I can use my track trailer again for my tires. I'm a 5'4" woman and those tires are awfully heavy to put in the back seat.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
blf1
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

seat cover sugggestions

I just bought a 135i convertible with m bucket seats and am also looking for a seat cover solution. The only thing I've come up with is having covers made. If anyone else has any other suggestipns, I wou;d love to here them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Try these, they are in SoCal and many of our MINI friends run these on their converts.

http://www.wetokole.com/BMW.html

WB
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Keep it in the shade as much as possible and use a good leather cleaner and leather conditioner. Even if you keep the seats covered, the leather can still dry up over time. Forget seat covers, defeats the purpose, you will slide around more. Just take care of it, drive it. If seats get worn, have them re-upholstered in 7 years. The seat cushions will be worn by then cover or no cover.
This + Lexol cleaner and conditioner

/thread
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

12 years and 136k miles and my seats still look like new. Twice a year I use Leathique cleaner and conditioner, but that's it. It's your car, I'd rather enjoy it now than keep it pretty for the next boob.

The foam in my a-pillars has given up the ghost and needs to be replaced, but the leather still looks great. The auto dimming mirror failed and spilled it's toxic guys all over the center console too.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe:) Jeep for Winter

vests

I had this idea for a sheepskin vest that would cover the inner part of the seatback (sideless) and maybe the whole bottom of the seat. I would not want it to cover the side bolsters though. The biggest problem for me is the heat and so I got sheepskin on my other car and that makes it a lot more tolerable. The only problem was that the seat covers smelled like cheese for about 6 months. If I forget to close my window and it rains.... wet dog smell. I will probably do this at some point this summer. I'd love to do an orange color.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

http://http://www.superlambauto.com/...de-insert.aspx

This in valencia orange.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegirl View Post
linky no worky
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4GTS

http://www.superlambauto.com/tailormade-insert.aspx
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVANT123 View Post
Install a set of BMW Performance seats - it will keep your stock leather seats looking like new for years....
+1 seat covers in a late model BMW is all wrong, let alone a 1M.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
+1 seat covers in a late model BMW is all wrong, let alone a 1M.
Agreed, it's wrong. And yet when I sink into my sheepskin, I don't want to be right. Black leather is just darned hot to sit on sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #16
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
Try these, they are in SoCal and many of our MINI friends run these on their converts.

http://www.wetokole.com/BMW.html

WB

I love the "gun tote" option....