BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Can someone explain something for me...?

So I'm new to the forums (hello), and I just ordered the new 1M. I bought all the packages (mainly for resale interest, because I usually like to keep things very basic). I have one question though, and I've been searching all over the place.

WTF is that damn cupholder all about!? FUGLY is a word that comes to mind. Can it be removed? Does it tuck away or something?! I've been trying to find pictures all over the internet...but have come up with nothing. I haven't seen many pictures at night of the car either. Can someone help explain that retarded idea of a cupholder for me? haha Thanks for your help/pics would be awesome if you have them.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Since the i-Drive takes up one of the normal cup holders, they stuck this one on the console, it just plugs in and is easily removed.

WB
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
SamChas
ON TRACK !
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series M coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
So I'm new to the forums (hello), and I just ordered the new 1M. I bought all the packages (mainly for resale interest, because I usually like to keep things very basic). I have one question though, and I've been searching all over the place.

WTF is that damn cupholder all about!? FUGLY is a word that comes to mind. Can it be removed? Does it tuck away or something?! I've been trying to find pictures all over the internet...but have come up with nothing. I haven't seen many pictures at night of the car either. Can someone help explain that retarded idea of a cupholder for me? haha Thanks for your help/pics would be awesome if you have them.
Yes you can remove it. It's just a CLIP !
MODZ:BMW Performance Steering, Matte Black Kidnney Grill, Vishnu Pro-ceed, Matte Black ///M Badge, Tinted Windows, Black Side Marker with Clear Tint. AFE Intake, ActiveAutowerke Downpipe, ActiveAutowerke Charge pipe With BOV kit, Black Exhaust tip, PowderCoated Wheels||
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
Since the i-Drive takes up one of the normal cup holders, they stuck this one on the console, it just plugs in and is easily removed.

WB
Ah, awesome! Thank you. Was worried about that. It just seems so out of place, doesn't it? Does anybody have any pics with it on/removed? I'm waiting for mine and it won't be here until October...I'm like a kid waiting for christmas morning over car. haha
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

So is there a center console cupholder at all if you have iDrive? Or does it reduce it from 2 to 1?

None would be preferred, I bought the Euro tray for my E46 M3 to eliminate the cupholders.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamChas View Post
Yes you can remove it. It's just a CLIP !
It can be removed but it is not a clip like the Proclips. There is a small base screwed onto the console and the cup holder slides in. It is actually quite nice, out of the way of the shift lever and holds various cups securely.

I do not have Nav; so I added that cup holder. I usually use the console for both my iPhone & my iPod touch. I don't want any liquids near them! I go to Greensboro from Buffalo several times a year and a Cup holder is nice on an 11hr. drive
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
SamChas
ON TRACK !
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series M coupé

MODZ:BMW Performance Steering, Matte Black Kidnney Grill, Vishnu Pro-ceed, Matte Black ///M Badge, Tinted Windows, Black Side Marker with Clear Tint. AFE Intake, ActiveAutowerke Downpipe, ActiveAutowerke Charge pipe With BOV kit, Black Exhaust tip, PowderCoated Wheels||
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
So I'm new to the forums (hello), and I just ordered the new 1M. I bought all the packages (mainly for resale interest, because I usually like to keep things very basic).
I know it wasn't your question but ordering a car that was intended to be a back-to-basics fully loaded with heavier power seats that take away 1 1/2 of height away for a helmet is really doesn't make sense especially if you like things simple.

If you look now at the E46 M3 market, people are looking for low option competition package M3s! You are throwing 6-8K at something that you will not get that money back, not even close at sale time. In the meantime, you will pay more tax, gas, registration.

Finally, I believe that this will become a hard-core car in the future and the lighter models (with less stuff) will become searched for.

Just think about it. A 5 year old base 1M will not be selling for 6K-8K less than an identical condition fully loaded unit.

My point is, if you want all the stuff then cool, get it, but if you are doing solely for resale value, you might make it less desirable because there will be many "loaded" 1Ms but very few not loaded. Look at the E90 market. Every 2008 M3 is loaded and there are guys looking for lighter units.

Good luck.

PS. Yes, the cupholder is a travesty too. As is no spare and no dipstick!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I know it wasn't your question but ordering a car that was intended to be a back-to-basics fully loaded with heavier power seats that take away 1 1/2 of height away for a helmet is really doesn't make sense especially if you like things simple.

If you look now at the E46 M3 market, people are looking for low option competition package M3s! You are throwing 6-8K at something that you will not get that money back, not even close at sale time. In the meantime, you will pay more tax, gas, registration.

Finally, I believe that this will become a hard-core car in the future and the lighter models (with less stuff) will become searched for.

Just think about it. A 5 year old base 1M will not be selling for 6K-8K less than an identical condition fully loaded unit.

My point is, if you want all the stuff then cool, get it, but if you are doing solely for resale value, you might make it less desirable because there will be many "loaded" 1Ms but very few not loaded. Look at the E90 market. Every 2008 M3 is loaded and there are guys looking for lighter units.

Good luck.

As I said when I got my E46 M3 in 2002, I am not getting this car to give someone a wonderful used car. For 97000 miles I tracked it, autocrossed it and generally drove the snot out of it. I enjoyed that car for 10 years and loved all the stuff I got on it. I had Nav, bluetooth, ipod, heated power seats, trailer hitch, 6 CD changer and I'm sure I forgot something. The only thing I draw the line at is I have NEVER owned an automatic in any form. My son always was teasing me about the weight of the wiring harness for all my stuff.

This time around I have the Premium Package and the heated seats. I will have a hitch for my track tire/tool trailer as soon as my son figures out how he will fabricate one for this car like he did for my M3. It's my car and I can do what I want with it. If you want a stripped down race car do like Dan does and have a real race car. I didn't buy it as investment and don't feel obligated to supply some with the car of their dreams 10 years down the line. I say drive it, maintain it and enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
PS. Yes, the cupholder is a travesty too. As is no spare and no dipstick!
A spare adds weight.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 M5, 23 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysmac View Post
As I said when I got my E46 M3 in 2002, I am not getting this car to give someone a wonderful used car. For 97000 miles I tracked it, autocrossed it and generally drove the snot out of it. I enjoyed that car for 10 years and loved all the stuff I got on it. I had Nav, bluetooth, ipod, heated power seats, trailer hitch, 6 CD changer and I'm sure I forgot something. The only thing I draw the line at is I have NEVER owned an automatic in any form. My son always was teasing me about the weight of the wiring harness for all my stuff.

This time around I have the Premium Package and the heated seats. I will have a hitch for my track tire/tool trailer as soon as my son figures out how he will fabricate one for this car like he did for my M3. It's my car and I can do what I want with it. If you want a stripped down race car do like Dan does and have a real race car. I didn't buy it as investment and don't feel obligated to supply some with the car of their dreams 10 years down the line. I say drive it, maintain it and enjoy it.

A spare adds weight.
+1 Well put

Cupholder-I'll be using mine
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:

A spare adds weight.
Good, as far as spare is concerned, a dipstick and spare add weight but it's good weight. (you get real benefit from it if you travel and if you don't want the weight, you have the option to take it out...the spare..not the dipstick)

Avocados and nuts have fat but it's not the same as useless fat from Donuts etc. : ) I hope that makes sense.

Also, just in case, several reviewers have griped about the seats being too high in the 1M and that is not the case with the base manual seats. I think that is the most important point to make for track junkies and tall people.

Congratulations and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
kumar911
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M & 2014 Cayenne Diesel

Here's a picture of my 1M that I took at night...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #13
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

@ kumar911

Cool! It's the first pic i've seen taken at night. More please

@ OP sorry off topic

Last edited by Grey Dove; 07-21-2011 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: off topic
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #14
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

If you want to sell it, I might take it! Does anybody know if the base can be taken off? My first 135i didn't have the cupholder, so the base must be attatched somehow.
      07-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:

You can thank the 'american' super size drinks for that one.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #16
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
. I don't want any liquids near them! I go to Greensboro from Buffalo several times a year and a Cup holder is nice on an 11hr. drive
That makes sense, I just take me wife on long drives and she has 2 hands so she works perfectly fine as a drink holder
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #17
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:

A spare adds weight.

This.

This might be the car I might keep forever (or until they ban Internal combustion engines and I have to turn outlaw to drive it!)
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #18
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
In the std cupholder my coffee cup sits high enough to use as an extended arm rest so I just went down and ordered the parts to retrofit this one to my 1M
(If anyone's interested, I'll let you know how it goes)

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #19
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
In the std cupholder my coffee cup sits high enough to use as an extended arm rest so I just went down and ordered the parts to retrofit this one to my 1M
(If anyone's interested, I'll let you know how it goes)
They give you nice directions but you do have to cut into the console so you better be sure you want it. I always thought the ones in the center console next to the parking brake got in the way. This is the first BMW cup holder that actually holds different size cups & water bottles.

BTW I just realized how "American" we are -me included- with this endless discussion about cup holders.

holly
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #20
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Yeah, I remember talking to some folks at the Frankfurt Auto Show when the 1 Series Coupe debuted and they mentioned that the additional cupholder was designed with the NA market specifically in mind

Oh well, I'm using my 1M as a Daily Driver and I NEED MY MORNING COFFEE!! lol.

EDIT: Oh, and I asked about a replacement center console when I ordered the cupholder parts and (in Germany) a new console will cost €108. So while messing up the existing console wouldn't be a cheap mistake, it could be worse.

EDIT (again): @ Holly, did you do the retro fit yourself? If so, any tips? BMW in Germany doesn't offer it as a retrofit kit (meaning no instructions) so I had to order individual parts.

Thx

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #21
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
[QUOTE=Drillslinger;10082627]

were you one of a handful of 1M's sold to military sales?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #22
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[/QUOTE]

EDIT (again): @ Holly, did you do the retro fit yourself? If so, any tips? BMW in Germany doesn't offer it as a retrofit kit (meaning no instructions) so I had to order individual parts.

Thx[/QUOTE]

I didn't install it. My late husband's job used to be to bring to fruition my "Wouldn't it be neat if I could..............."? I took care of my own wheels and brake pads but he did everything else. Cars were not his thing so it was an act of love. Now I have my son and Anthony at Towne BMW. We three are the only ones that touch my cars. I'll see Anthony at an autox at Erie Speedway and will ask him if he kept the directions. If so, I'll Scan them.He usually gives me the boxes etc. back so I'll look in the garage this afternoon while I get the car ready.

Below is the Realoem page on the cup holder.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...21&hg=51&fg=95

I remember him saying that he took the shift boot off but did not take the whole counsole out.

Last edited by hollysmac; 07-23-2011 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0