Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
BMW Sat Nav Upgrades - Speed limits, fixed cameras etc

I hope that perhaps some of you smart people out there can do a poll or something on this subject

I just bought a brand new Renault Clio last night to replace one of our older run arounds, it has integrated sat nav that tells you the speed limit for the piece of road that you are on and it also shows fixed speed cameras

My question is why cant my £2000+ BMW sat nav do these things ? Surely it is a safety improvement to have this information in your BMW. I ran my Z4 for over 3 years with this information being available on aftermarket DVD's, in that time i never received a single speeding ticket or was involved or contributed to a single accident or incident !

Come on BMW if other manufacturers are making this information available in even there most basic models shouldnt you be doing the same from a proven safety stand point ? Surely this is the true meaning of connected drive ???
I love my 1M and want to enjoy it and protect it as much as possible and i believe having this information on my sat nav is a major safety contributor towards that goal.

Ladies and Gentleman your thoughts and views and guidance on how we can take this to BMW would be appreciated

Come on BMW i know that you read these forums too, lets have a response
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, 1M,

Fair shout Denso! Totally agree. If the French can do it, why can't the Germans!

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
urban_alchemist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Forget about OEM satnav. Phone systems and tech is constantly upgrading itself and we all have one in our pocket. How about a simple replication system whereby we can just use our phone's applications (such as the absolutely incredible Waze nav) mirrored on and through the iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
mm1
Private
Rep
Drives: exE90 M3/ now1M

If we have BMW Apps on the car, we can use waze on the navi screen, can`t we?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #5
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Thanks for the responses so far, not everyone has BMW apps but it seems that many have the sat nav. I am still a bit of a dinosaur as far as the smartphone thing goes and just use my very basic Nokia to make phone calls and send the odd text, i wouldnt know a waze if it came and sat on my lap.

What i do have though is a £2000+ BMW sat nav system in my 1M that i would like full functionality with I wouldnt have thought it was too hard to achieve this and surely connected drive means that i am connected to all of the best information all of the time (speed limits, hazards, speed cameras, weather etc) its a clever system and one that should provide this information without the need for yet another app or smartphone.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 04:24 AM   #6
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

could be something that will be available in a software upgrade at some stage

not sure how many countries are like France etc where any form of speed camera warning device is illegal, that could be the issue perhaps, who knows but a software update may be available.

Anyways don't speed and stick to the speed limits lol
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
could be something that will be available in a software upgrade at some stage

not sure how many countries are like France etc where any form of speed camera warning device is illegal, that could be the issue perhaps, who knows but a software update may be available.

Anyways don't speed and stick to the speed limits lol
Lets hope so.

Speeding is for LOSERS
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
Maniac992
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M

I completely agree - I've owned Japanese cars in the past with fantastic sat nav systems and I currently own a BMW 5 series with a TERRIBLE sat nav system (and currently waiting for my 1M to be built in August). Even the systems in american made cars are far better.

I just think BMW is great with driving dynamics and rubbish with electronics and interiors in general.

When you purchase a car for this kind of money, you expect top of the line gear - if they can't engineer it, they should outsource it to the Japanese (and no thanks I don't want to pull out my smartphone every time I want to use NAV - I want to look at my dashboard). Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Maniac992; 07-21-2011 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_alchemist View Post
Forget about OEM satnav. Phone systems and tech is constantly upgrading itself and we all have one in our pocket. How about a simple replication system whereby we can just use our phone's applications (such as the absolutely incredible Waze nav) mirrored on and through the iDrive?
The problem with BMW Apps is that it is a completely closed and controlled eco-system right now. A little bit like the iPhone when it first appeared in 2007.

It will be interesting to see if BMW actually has the balls to open the system up to 3rd party developers. This would instantly vault BMW to the head of the pack as far as in-car information tech integration is concerned. I can't imagine that this is too difficult. All you'd need is an SDK that properly emulates the BMW NAV system and let's the developers call the standard APIs via iOS/Android (Oh yes, I predict BMW will have an Android app within 6 months)

As Apple and Google have shown with their respective app stores/markets, no matter how badass your R&D and tech departments are, you simply cannot compete against millions of smart, motivated free-lancers.

@Maniac992: There should be no need for you to pull out your phone at all. If the systems are properly integrated, the transition from Phone App to On-board NAV should be completely seamless and invisible. Like it or not, smartphones are going to become the brains of a lot of things we use. No reason they can't work in perfect harmony in a car NAV system.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

As I said in another thread before: some European countries, including Germany, forbid in various degrees the use, ans also the possession inside a car on public roads, of electronic devices that can inform the driver about locations of either fixed or mobile radar positions.

So it makes sense this is not included in the factory GPS system. Or BMW's with sat nav wouldn't be allowed on the road in Germany, Switserland, and maybe Holland soon.

This seems like it might become a trend. So there's your answer.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
As I said in another thread before: some European countries, including Germany, forbid in various degrees the use, ans also the possession inside a car on public roads, of electronic devices that can inform the driver about locations of either fixed or mobile radar positions.

So it makes sense this is not included in the factory GPS system. Or BMW's with sat nav wouldn't be allowed on the road in Germany, Switserland, and maybe Holland soon.

This seems like it might become a trend. So there's your answer.
Thanks for the clarity it is appreciated, however surely BMW can can do firmware for the countries that do allow it
Appreciate 0