BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

Z4mc VS 1m

So if i'm understanding correctly the 1m took over z4mc as a small m car, right?
I looked at the Nring times, and z4mc is a tad faster than the 1m (8.12 vs 8.15). Granted 1m just came out, and with time more experienced drivers prob can do better.

How do you think z4mc compares to 1m? It wasn't advertised as much when it came out, and didn't receive this much attention...

Depreciation: It looks like they were around $55k brand new, now the bottom ones are about $27k and top ones around $35k... years range from 07-08. So if fully loaded 08 was about $60k new, now it's $35k, that's $25k over 3 years.... hmm... is that what to expect for 1m?

I currently have a deposit with mil sales, but no allocation, and i'm like 10th down the line... i am very sceptical on whether i can get the 1m, so i'm thinking about pulling out and getting the z4mc... i'll save around $15k. The biggest problem is that S54 (or w/e old m3 engine is called) is not mod friendly, from what i understand... cheap mods are intake and a tune that give you 10-15hp, right?

If can't get the z4mc, maybe used 335 (found fully loaded 07, for $29k, 36k miles, bmw certified).

interested to see what you all think...

Oh, and i am getting stationed in Germany, so the cars would be used there.

Last edited by GrumpyBimmerFan; 07-22-2011 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: wrong info
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #3
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

If this is the car you're referring too:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_z3_m_coupe.html

Then no, it doesn't "run rings around the 1M" at the Nurburgring. It put in a time of 8:22 mins whereas the 1M was 8:15 mins.

Also, I wouldn't be too bothered about the "Ring" times as they don't mean very much when you're driving around on the public roads.

If you want the quicker car, it'll be the 1M. It has more power (340bhp vs 338bhp) and a lot more torque (369lb/ft vs 252lb/ft). So in gear, it's going to be quicker. The Z4MC is a little lighter, but not by very much, so I'd say that 1M would batter it everywhere!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 03:57 AM   #4
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
So if i'm understanding correctly the 1m took over z4mc as a small m car, right?
I looked at the Nring times, and z4mc "runs circles" around the 1m, time wise. Granted 1m just came out, and with time more experienced drivers prob can do better.

How do you think z4mc compares to 1m? It wasn't advertised as much when it came out, and didn't receive this much attention...

I currently have a deposit with mil sales, but no allocation, and i'm like 10th down the line... i am very sceptical on whether i can get the 1m, so i'm thinking about pulling out and getting the z4mc... i'll save around $15k. The biggest problem is that S54 (or w/e old m3 engine is called) is not mod friendly, from what i understand... cheap mods are intake and a tune that give you 10-15hp, right?

If can't get the z4mc, maybe used 335 (found fully loaded 07, for $29k, 36k miles, bmw certified).

interested to see what you all think...

Oh, and i am getting stationed in Germany, so the cars would be used there.
Z4M running circles around the 1M Not sure where you got that from. Check fastest
http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_1er_m_coupe.html
http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_z4_m_coupe.html
http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_z4_m_roadster.html

I had a Z4M coupe myself, and I can tell you it is no match for the 1M! And do not believe the 10-15hp+ chip tuning.

Forget about the 335 (which I owned as well).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 04:07 AM   #5
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep

so how would you compare z4mc to 1m? so day to day the 1m is much faster, I get it, it's tt. Is it as nice around the track thou?

my bad, I had a different car in my head (for nring). I was refferencing this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times

8.12 for mc and 8.15 for the 1m. So no, it doesn't run circles.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 04:08 AM   #6
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep

and what about interior... z4mc looks pretty sweet, and unusual for the bmw.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 04:25 AM   #7
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
so how would you compare z4mc to 1m? so day to day the 1m is much faster, I get it, it's tt. Is it as nice around the track thou?

my bad, I had a different car in my head (for nring). I was refferencing this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times

8.12 for mc and 8.15 for the 1m. So no, it doesn't run circles.
times are difficult to compare. The 08:12 seems very fast too me, compared to other times driven by the Z4M.
compare the laptimes in the links I sent you, eg Hockenheim.

The Z4M is quite tricky to drive, and lacks grip because of the bad suspension. With DSC on the power is cut all the time and it doesn't have MDM, only on and off. However, the Z4M is a blast to drive, I really enjoyed, especially on the track. (I had KW clubsport, recaro pole positions, light trackwheels with tracktires)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/bpgar...o=view&id=4089

Based on my current experience though, I would always choose the 1M. Not only because of performance, better electronics, and better brakes, also because of looks, interior quality (Z4M is getting old), space, and available gadgets like nav, ipod etc.

Last edited by marcel b; 07-22-2011 at 04:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #8
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
If this is the car you're referring too:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_z3_m_coupe.html
I doubt it - he's saying Z4M and that link says Z3M...
      07-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #9
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well you’re comparing a 3.2 litre NA car with a 3.0 litre twin turbo, so they’re going to feel different. The Z4 will sound really nice, but will not have the in gear performance of the 1M, which in the real world is what you actually want. You’re also comparing an older second hand car with a brand new limited edition car.

For me, I’d always go with the 1M as a bigger NA engine in something like the Z4MC will always has less torque and cost more to run.

Some stat comparisons are here – http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso...r_m_coupe.html

The 1M has quicker 100, 200 and quarter of a mile times. It does have a lower power to weight ratio, but in terms of torque, it has a lot more. The Z4MC has 345nm of torque whereas the 1M has 500nm (with overboost). That’s quite a big difference when you compare the weight of both cars is very similar.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #10
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
and what about interior... z4mc looks pretty sweet, and unusual for the bmw.
you think? Leather quality of the chairs is really bad, looks old within no time. And the seats are really terrible! No sidesupport, for tracking you need for sure different ones, otherwise you just keep hanging on to your steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 04:28 AM   #11
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
I doubt it - he's saying Z4M and that link says Z3M...
Yep I read it wrong. This is the one I meant to link - http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_z4_m_coupe.html
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #12
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

I bought an 06 Z4 MC in October 2006. I drove it from Vegas to Georgia in 2 days (with hardly an overnight stop!) and tracked it 4 times in the first 7 months of ownership. I stopped doing track days and started club racing so the Z4 MC stopped going to the track. I sold it 1 month before taking delivery of my 1M in May and the new owner sounds as if he's still giggling over the car 2 month later. It was a great car but lost its practicality for me since my wife and I had a baby. It became a garage queen (24K miles in 4.5 years) and I can't stand to walk by the car I really want to drive because the boot didn't have enough room for the occassion or my daughter was going with.
Beyond these issues the car was epic to drive. I had installed H&R Coil overs and a BMS exhaust. It was a bit on the loud side but the suspension was better than stock. Remember that BMW put those crappy Continentals on it from the E46 M3 so just about everyone who bought one got rid of those tires. These hurt it when all the magazines compared it to it's rightful (and perfectly timed) competitor, the Cayman S.
The seating position was much lower than the 1M and you sit very close to the rear axle. The view was very much like a video game and when it started to oversteer you felt as if you were along for the ride with the back end. This was unnerving at first but I quickly got used to it and realized the car was not going to snap oversteer. Quite the contrary, I hung out the tail more times in that car than I can count. On track it was damn fast and forgiving. Do I miss it? You bet! Do I want to trade my 1M for another Z4 MC....no way in hell. And I am not saying this for the practicality part. The 1M feels much more advanced, polished, and effortless to drive above 5/10ths. Both cars, at the limit, have excellent mechanical grip but the 1M would be the car I would choose 99% of the time if both were parked next to each other. They might be called M Coupes but don't think they have more than the name in common.
My $.02 for what it's worth....
Attached Images

07-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep

hmm, thank you for your comments.

I certainly understand that 1m is much better, and if I had to choose between the two (no money involved) I would take 1 M, no question.

It's just that I have to pay $15-18k more for it than the z. Plus, the biggest issue, for me, is that I don't even know if i get one.... Pentagon car sales say that they are still fighting to get allocations... and they won't know until later (maybe sept), and i have to move in august.... military pays for shipping a car when i'm moving. Cars in germany are more expensive (since they have to pay 18% sales tax), and not us spec so i can't take them back. So if i move and they can't get me a car, i have to buy a plane ticket, fly to US, find a car, then ship it and fly back...

it seems that most of you guys don't like the z...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #14
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
nono, I love the Z4 coupe! It was my first M and still miss it in a way. (just look at the link in the post above and you will understand )
With some mods you can dramatically improve it (tires and proper suspension are the most important ones, then some good seats)
You will have a lot of fun in a Z4M coupe, and it is very rare.
It is just not a comparison with the 1M in my opinion. Different cars (space, daily driving) and from a different era. (sophistication)
By the way, also in Europe the 1M is very difficult to get, especially for a good price. A friend of mine is looking for one, but the dealers cannot give him a clear picture on future allocations and possible deliver dates.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #15
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

The Z4MC is an awesome car. The only reason that I didn't get one in 2008 was because I needed 4 seats on occasion.

But it honestly depends on what you want to do. I personally like the rasp in the exhaust sound of the S54 and 340 HP is pretty good

But if it's not enough you can always invest the money you saved into an HPF turbo kit.

Those things are crazy!

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #16
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

If you don't need the rear seat and your waist is less than 35" (and shorter than 6'1" tall) I'd try to find a used Z4mc and take a test drive. It certainly won't disappoint.
      07-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #17
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
...it seems that most of you guys don't like the z...
I don't think anyone has said that they don't like the Z have they? All we're saying is that given the choice, we'd take the 1M every day.

That's not to say that the Z isn't a good car, I'm sure it is. It's just that we would rather have the 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #18
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
hmm, thank you for your comments.

I certainly understand that 1m is much better, and if I had to choose between the two (no money involved) I would take 1 M, no question.

It's just that I have to pay $15-18k more for it than the z. Plus, the biggest issue, for me, is that I don't even know if I get one.... Pentagon car sales say that they are still fighting to get allocations... and they won't know until later (maybe sept), and I have to move in august.... Military pays for shipping a car when i'm moving. Cars in Germany are more expensive (since they have to pay 18% sales tax), and not us spec so I can't take them back. So if i move and they can't get me a car, i have to buy a plane ticket, fly to US, find a car, then ship it and fly back...

I don't think people are listening to you. If I were 10th on the list I would be looking somewhere else. As far as gadgets, I have less on my 1m than my e46 M3 and frankly have not missed them. I have my iPod, my iPhone and my heated seats, my BMW assist and have not missed the Nav. After 10 years, I found that I was using my portable Garmen because it was their latest and still used the NavTech maps. Also I had lifetime updates and found it was much cheaper than the BMW Updates. BTW Now the updates are the price of my top of the line Garmen. Technology changes rapidly and I you are going to keep a car a while you are better off with flexibility.

I don't know the Z4 will well but I think it has the same engine as my M3 had and it is a lovely responsive engine. You are going to kick yourself if you end up with nothing. You can always enjoy the Z4 and wait for the M2 to come out. Good luck in your decision. I got my first car in 1960 (a twin cam MGA) and have had many wonderful cars and a few duds ( can you say 1977 Audi 100Ls). There is always another car down the line.

I love my 1m but I was not going to gamble on getting one or pay more than MSRP for any car.

holly
1960 MGA
1971 VW Bus (red)
1977 Audi 100Ls ( the dealer used to apologize for the car) (red)
1980 VW Rabbit (bronze UGH!)
1984 VW Rabbit convertible (silver)
1988 VW Scirocco 16V (silver)
1992 VW Corrado Vr6 (red)
1994 BMW 125 is (red)
1997 BMW e36 M3 Coupe (red)
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 roadster (topaz)
2002 BMW e46 M3 coupe (red)
2011 BMW M1 (Vo)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #19
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep

thank you all for responses and advices.
hollysmac... i that's what i'm thinking. I will ask my dealer to confirm what spot i'm on for the car. I will do my best to find the z4mc (the one i like), and prob go for it, hoping to save the most money... problem with finding one is color, miles and packages. Found couple of good once for the right price, but no heated seats and in black(had two black cars before, waaay too hard to keep clean). Then nice price, but too many miles (over 40). I would love to get one with heated seats, white/silver and under 30k miles for around $32k.

in the end, i think everything happens for a reason, so if it's meant for me to get the z, i will find one. Currently sent message to all that are for sale on autotrader and the forum, waiting on responses.

Any maintanance things i should be concerned about? valve adjustment needs to be done right? at what milage? anything else i should look for?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #20
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep

What about C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
What about C6 Z06
have you driven a C6? the transmission is very clunky wlth very long throws... the driving position is low and there is a long hood and a high cowl. Visibility forward and rearward is horrible... Aweseome performance for the dollar from all the C6 models but the driving experience is completely different than a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #22
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Besides both being BMW M cars, the z4m and 1 series m are very different. 2 seater vs something with back seats, high revving na engine vs turbo, one is older and more "raw" vs newer and more "comfortable", looks are completely different, new vs used, etc etc. Since you asked on the 1 series m board you will find that most on here prefer the 1 series m over the z4m. Ask the same question on the z4 board and the opinions will likely change.

I would say test drive both and decide for yourself. I will also say I have a z4m coupe and couldnt be happier with it.
Appreciate 0