BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari

iPod vs aux input

Sorry this question was in another thread, but I still am a bit confused. I know iPhones and iTunes very well, besides cars, music is my other hobby and I have 5,000 classic rock songs in my phone.

However I am a simple man! I hate iDrive and will be getting my 1M with only heated seats and ??iPod- and this is my question:

I want to forever be able to control my music and my music apps like Pandora thru the iPhone (or whatever else there is in 20 years as I would like to think this car is lifetime keeper) and NOT have to toggle thru the radio to listen to my music. I realize the aux input will not charge a device and sound won't be as good- by how much?- but is this the better way to go for me? Or will the iPod USB connector still allow TOTAL control thru only the iPhone and not the radio? Is there any benefit for what I described in the iPod USB vs the aux input?

Thanks so much!

Dan
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Whteverjklasdf
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

you probably can't tell the sound quality difference... for the 1M cabin will be filled with engine sound, exhaust note, and tyre/wind noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Simple question simple answer... I am audionut as well, actually this is an understatement... Anyways, super simple....

Bluetooth A2DP... for 2012 models... Maybe 2011 (not sure on this)

Just stream whatever you want to your stereo through your iphone. An Airplay icon will pop up once its paired. Ipod library, pandora, youtube, whatever. Digital and did I mention its amazing? However, it may only be with idrive.... double check on this.
      07-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks! I don't believe Bluetooth is a stand alone option, but it does sound good.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

that's great! in canada, bluetooth is standard: 639 BMW Assist with Bluetooth!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
that's great! in canada, bluetooth is standard: 639 BMW Assist with Bluetooth!

I have the premium package with iPod/iPhone and bluetooth/assist. No Nav. & No iDrive. I went out and tried the following with both my iPhone 4 & my iPod touch :

1. The bluetooth only works with the telephone part and the BMW assist.
2. Apple supplied cord. Charges and controlls thru the radio & steering wheel with visuals on radio .
3. BMW supplied cable with iPod and aux interfaces. Works like Apple cord without aux charged in.
4. aux core like old MP3 player works but no visuals on radio-no radio or steering wheel control. you have all functions controlled by the iPhone or IPod Touch.

So, you can use an aux cord and simply play your music thru your radio and control it like you had headphones.

Hope this helps

holly
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

thanks! hmm, i like the option of the apple cord and just toggling thru the radio visuals, since i don't even have sat nav.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
thanks! hmm, i like the option of the apple cord and just toggling thru the radio visuals, since i don't even have sat nav.
It works pretty well. You can choose by artist, album, genre, song. and can fast forward or raise the volume on the radio or the steering wheel once you pick how you are going to choose. The stock HD radio sounds pretty good also.

Holly
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

great! i couldn't justify buying the exec package for the hk sound system. it's not individually available in canada.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbreese View Post
Sorry this question was in another thread, but I still am a bit confused. I know iPhones and iTunes very well, besides cars, music is my other hobby and I have 5,000 classic rock songs in my phone.

However I am a simple man! I hate iDrive and will be getting my 1M with only heated seats and ??iPod- and this is my question:

I want to forever be able to control my music and my music apps like Pandora thru the iPhone (or whatever else there is in 20 years as I would like to think this car is lifetime keeper) and NOT have to toggle thru the radio to listen to my music. I realize the aux input will not charge a device and sound won't be as good- by how much?- but is this the better way to go for me? Or will the iPod USB connector still allow TOTAL control thru only the iPhone and not the radio? Is there any benefit for what I described in the iPod USB vs the aux input?

Thanks so much!

Dan

The best thing you can do is to jailbreak your iPhone. You can then download a utility to disable the accessory splash screen and be able to control from iPhone rather than clunky BMW interface.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
FS993
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

When using the Apple cord and radio visuals, does anyone know how to Shuffle using the radio controls? For the life of me I can't figure it out...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #12
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you all so much-sounds like for what I want the aux input is all I need. I am getting a stripper 1M and now the only option will be heated seats!

Dan
Appreciate 0