E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Brake Pad Warning

08-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Brake Pad Warning

I happened to look at my service due mileage this morning, the front breaks had 5k miles, rears were 12k left. Upon starting my car this afternoon after work, the brake light stayed lit in the cluster and the nav displayed the message that the brake pads are worn to the minimum. My commute is 5 miles to work, its highly unlikely that my brakes wore down THAT much this morning. The mileage for the front and rear brakes now is just blank. Any ideas? It almost seems like a sensor went out, but is it feasible that all 4 brake sensors went out at the same time? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
It is possible that the computer computed the wrong mileage left and the brake sensor tripped on the front pads. There are only 2 pad wear sensors, one in the front and one in the rear, i forget which side they are on
      08-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

Front left (driver side) and rear right sensors

They should not be blank, take it in and have them look at it.

When the wear sensor triggers a pad replacement you should see a miles/km until end of pad life and a yellow warning when you start the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
bruning6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 09 335i LCI

Bryce did you ever get this taken care of? I know this is different but still its a wierd brake issue. In the 135i when it came off the trailer here in NH it had a low tire light - I found a nail in the RF tire. Pulled the wheel off and plugged the tire then when I reinstalled it the red Brake light was on the cluster but nothing in the warning section. Pulled the wheel back off and checked the brake pad sensor which appeared fine. Tried driving it light was still on. As you know the pads are/were mint front and back. Next week brought it into BMW to get the injector recall taken care of and had them take a peak they said the same thing everything appears as it should be but possibly there is a broken wire on a pad sensor. So I replaced both pad sensors. Still stupid light on. Disconnected the battery. Went out. Came right back. What gives. Been on since March!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
^sorry for the late reply. It was just an i-drive/cbs error. the dealer was able to reset it after checking the brake pads/sensors. has been fine ever since
Appreciate 0