E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Manuals, Invoice/MSRP Pricing, Buying Guides, Bulletins, etc. > 2008 328XI - 'CPO' versus 'Balance of CPO'

08-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
swampthingy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi

2008 328XI - 'CPO' versus 'Balance of CPO'

New to the forums and I just purchased my first BMW - a 2008 328xi.

While I was researching my purchase I found a dealer who had the car that I wanted listed on their website under 'Certified Pre-Owned Inventory.' Long story short, while at the dealership they kept referring to the car as a 'Balance of CPO' vehicle, didn't think anything of it, purchased the car, had some questions about the car after getting home, and asked the dealership for the CPO inspection report. The response I got was that the car was not an 'active CPO' and only received a 'used car inspection' therefor there is no BMW USA CPO certification checklist.

At this point I'm confused on a couple of points:
  • What should I do here? I feel like the vehicle was blatantly misrepresented to me during the sales process.
  • What is the status of any BMW manufacturer's warranties?
  • Has anyone ever heard of a 'Balance of CPO?'

Thanks for any input the board has. Haven't replied to the email from the dealership yet that stated the vehicle isn't CPO. I honestly don't even know what to say at this point.

-Vince
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
jodaro
Registered
Rep
Drives: None yet

It sounds to me like they misrepresented the status of the warranty. If its "balance of", that sounds to me like someone else already had the car as a CPO and now you are potentially the third owner. Can you do a Carfax on the VIN and see how many sales there are?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
queensfield
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90

From what I know, if there are >60K miles, it cannot be CPOed. My guess is that the car was CPOed at <60K miles, and the balance of CPO refers to the balance of time (2 more years after the base 4 years warranty) or the balance of miles (max 100K miles). You might be able to get a "CPO inspection" out of the dealer at their cost but you will have to argue for it. Carfax is certainly in order, as suggested.
Appreciate 0