2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Window Trim Removal

08-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Lonestar5
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Window Trim Removal

I've tried searching but haven't had any luck on this topic. As the title states I am wondering if anyone knows how to remove the trim, that or if it can be removed and reused. Thus far I have "DIY'd" the drivers side of my car with matte black vinyl and for the most part am happy with it. Unfortunately I am a perfectionist and would ideally like to remove it and wrap it and reinstall.

On a side note and slight rant, those who attempt this mod it is a royal PITA! Took about 2hrs to do one side, though that doesn't include the time I spent redoing the front drivers door (additional 1.5hrs). There is a definite learning curve, though I can honestly say it can be done with the proper amount of patience. The rant part has to do with the area under the side mirror, fuuuuu that was a royal whip! In the end I have saved some coin doing it myself, though I would be lying if I didn't say I have contemplated paying someone to do the other side.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
KRUZNM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I did that with my old E92...wanting to save some money I vinyl wrapped the window trim myself... so I know what you went through... it seriously is a PITA!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
RC3
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

Garage List
2011 F10 528i  [10.00]
One member here in Hong Kong had an auto shop to remove the trims for him to do wraps. When the guy tried to re-install the front upper trim, he bended it. The only risk-free way to do it is remove the side mirrors to do those front trims.

I had a vinyl shop to wrap my trims. They didn't take out the trims but the result is perfect. Just need patience and definitely need the proper vinyl and heat gun to do the job.

2011 F10 528i Black Sapphire / Oyster Black
2000 E46 325ci Cabrio Titanium Silver / Black - retired
1997 E36/7 Z3 Montreal Blue / Black - retired
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar5 View Post
I've tried searching but haven't had any luck on this topic. As the title states I am wondering if anyone knows how to remove the trim, that or if it can be removed and reused. Thus far I have "DIY'd" the drivers side of my car with matte black vinyl and for the most part am happy with it. Unfortunately I am a perfectionist and would ideally like to remove it and wrap it and reinstall.

On a side note and slight rant, those who attempt this mod it is a royal PITA! Took about 2hrs to do one side, though that doesn't include the time I spent redoing the front drivers door (additional 1.5hrs). There is a definite learning curve, though I can honestly say it can be done with the proper amount of patience. The rant part has to do with the area under the side mirror, fuuuuu that was a royal whip! In the end I have saved some coin doing it myself, though I would be lying if I didn't say I have contemplated paying someone to do the other side.
I just bought two rolls of matte black vinyl for my F10 535i I am pretty handy when it comes to working on cars, but i have never done this before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
ryang79
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Anyone know how to remove the side mirrors to get to the front bottom trim?
Appreciate 0