E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > New battery

08-09-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

New battery

Chaps I was looking for the previous battery problem thread but can\'t find it (and no search on iPhone)

But the battery warning is still coming up and I\'m getting jack of setting the clock. So I dropped by the stealership this afternoon and ask the question. I was quoted 500 for a new battery WTF I said as I left.

So my question is has anyone else got a new battery and can I go to a battery shop????
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 04:50 AM   #2
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

How old is your car? I had my battery swapped out under warranty, its a known issue that the OEM in the earlier 335's were pretty poor!
      08-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

coincidentally I just emailed my SA today asking about a quote for a new battery for myself as well... I asked if there's any chance of getting it replaced under warranty but I'm interested to see the price as well.

If I could and if I knew it would work, I'd go for a deep cycle Optima or something and get it coded by the dealer, not sure if that would work or not...

I'd prefer to not use the BMW battery again, after it being crap in my 3year old E92 and being crap in my nearly 3 year old 135i...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
pcockley
Banned
Rep

In my frustration yesterday after getting a 500 quote for a 100 battery i contacted 'lubemobile' and they quoted me 350 to replace the battery. i am sure this does not include the 'initialisation' of the charging thing but i will ask.

fcuk at the end of the day it IS just a battery, plus the stealership wanted the car overnight.....wtf....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
mrtanz
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 325i upgrade

The coding thread as stuff about coding in new batteries if you are interested
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtanz View Post
The coding thread as stuff about coding in new batteries if you are interested
Mrtanz, can you code batteries????? you might be the answer I have been looking for
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 02:24 AM   #7
mrtanz
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 325i upgrade

havent confirmed as i need to more in the US threads but i read they were mentioning being able to code the new batteries
Will get back to you soon
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 02:46 AM   #8
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

350 for a lube mobile is battery is still way overpriced but I don't know what brand/type they are using, it might be a really good Optima/Century.

If the stealer wants 500, I'm going to get an Optima for 300 or so installed and then get it coded somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 02:57 AM   #9
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

OP, is your car still under warranty?

I am unsure about other variants but battery change outs on 335i's is pretty common. It has to do to with BMW's Efficient Dynamics marketing.

From the factory the car's alternator does not charge the battery until the car has been driven for 20 min. It is a means to save on their emissions CO2/kg rating. When the car is cold the emissions are at their highest. When the car is operating at design temps is the point at when the exhaust emissions stabilize. So in an effort to reduce their cold start up emissions they try and reduce engine load by only engaging the alternator until the car is driven for a while and engine is up to normal operating temps. This is is the case the case for vehicles manufactured up to the end of 2009. Unsure about N55 equipped cars.

If you are under warranty, they will replace the battery with a battery with larger capacity. To let the car know there is more battery capacity to draw from they will need to do a full software update which takes about 6 hours. This will update all modules and allow the alternator to start charging the battery as soon as the engine is started. I don't think you can just change out the battery for a larger one without updating the car's software. If you do you, you most probably will suffer premature battery failure due to the 20min delay charging the battery.
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i-boy View Post
OP, is your car still under warranty?

I am unsure about other variants but battery change outs on 335i's is pretty common. It has to do to with BMW's Efficient Dynamics marketing.

From the factory the car's alternator does not charge the battery until the car has been driven for 20 min. It is a means to save on their emissions CO2/kg rating. When the car is cold the emissions are at their highest. When the car is operating at design temps is the point at when the exhaust emissions stabilize. So in an effort to reduce their cold start up emissions they try and reduce engine load by only engaging the alternator until the car is driven for a while and engine is up to normal operating temps. This is is the case the case for vehicles manufactured up to the end of 2009. Unsure about N55 equipped cars.

If you are under warranty, they will replace the battery with a battery with larger capacity. To let the car know there is more battery capacity to draw from they will need to do a full software update which takes about 6 hours. This will update all modules and allow the alternator to start charging the battery as soon as the engine is started. I don't think you can just change out the battery for a larger one without updating the car's software. If you do you, you most probably will suffer premature battery failure due to the 20min delay charging the battery.
thanks for the heads up, i just assumed the battery was like tyres and not covered. i send an email to the local dealer and got this response.

The battery is covered under warranty for 3 years. Would you like to get it booked in with us?

Very happy
Appreciate 0