E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > New n55, everything and anything

08-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F97

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Lightbulb New n55, everything and anything

Hey guys, just got my N55 last week. Really new to this whole different world on here. Struggling with all the lingo and stuff, but it's been getting much better...

Anyways little information for you guys so you can help me... I have M Sport Package, and also Xdrive since i live near Pittsburgh and get Lots of snow during the winter. Regular exhaust. 6Manual

I am looking to do some little Mods to the car but nothing too crazy and don't want to spend a lot of money.

I was thinking
DP, People have been saying go with catless but apparently that's not legal? and won't pass inspection?
CAI, People saying its useless for N55 (don't know why) BOV better?
Chip,
and even lower it cz the Xdrive just seems little high.

Wanted to get your opinions on this.. Help me out with the lingo and if you could explain it briefly to me and what it does..

I also don't want to jeopardize my warranty so if there are little ways around it that you guys have experience let me know...

Also little simple mods, Like golf tee mod? whats the CDV thing?

If there is anything i'm letting out just let me know... Sorry if this is all too much, but i really want to get better and understand all this stuff...

Try not to laugh too much at me right now Lol... Happy to be here

Last edited by Christian.F; 08-11-2011 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

inb4flame

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfrem15 View Post
Hey guys, just got my N55 last week. Really new to this whole different world on here. Struggling with all the lingo and stuff, but it's been getting much better...

Anyways little information for you guys so you can help me... I have M Sport Package, and also Xdrive since i live near Pittsburgh and get Lots of snow during the winter. Regular exhaust. 6Manual

I am looking to do some little Mods to the car but nothing too crazy and don't want to spend a lot of money.

I was thinking
DP, People have been saying go with catless but apparently that's not legal? and won't pass inspection?

DP is downpipe, first part of the exhaust connected to the engine, has first catalytic converter in it.I know Pennsylvania does emission testing so you might have to swap it out for a stock one when you go for your tests. It is, however; the most worthwhile mod and gives the most power of any bolt on, so the choice is yours.

CAI is useless for the N55, people have been getting very mixed results due to the nature of the Mass Air Flow Sensor. A Bov is useless at the current boost levels as well, the stock one does fine.

Chip,

More important than anything, consider the Procede Tune or the Juicebox Stage 1

Yes, the x-drives due seem to ride higher.

Wanted to get your opinions on this.. Help me out with the lingo and if you could explain it briefly to me and what it does..

I also don't want to jeopardize my warranty so if there are little ways around it that you guys have experience let me know...

This will always be an issue with mods. Everyone seems to not mind that part of it and has ways around it...

Golf tee mod is easier done by unplugging the exhaust flapper in the trunk.

CDV is clutch delay valve, makes manual vehicle shifting smoother.

If there is anything i'm letting out just let me know... Sorry if this is all too much, but i really want to get better and understand all this stuff...

These are great mods to begin with, consider an upgraded intercooler to help with cooling in the future.

Try not to laugh too much at me right now Lol... Happy to be here
      08-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thank you so much!! How do I do the CDV? and what would you suggest for lowering?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Look in the Do it yourself section for the CDV tutorial, I have an auto so I have never done this. As far as lowering, get a nice set of coilovers, which ones is up to you, I am in a rear wheel drive model and am happy with the ride height.
      08-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
Bmore335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335is

It's amazing what you can find on these forums with just a tiny bit of effort. Almost every topic I have ever thought of has been debated and talked about extensively. I'm not surprised at your post though because you are a steelers fan
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore335 View Post
It's amazing what you can find on these forums with just a tiny bit of effort. Almost every topic I have ever thought of has been debated and talked about extensively. I'm not surprised at your post though because you are a steelers fan

Hahaha That's actually hilarious!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore335 View Post
I would forgive him, the N55 motor is newer and not nearly as much info is available on it. In addition, a lot of items (intake included) are much different on the N55.
      08-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
All the stuff that i had read before was just all over the place, and difficult to keep up with for someone who was new to this stuff... Much thanks Quest
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
Bmore335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
I would forgive him, the N55 motor is newer and not nearly as much info is available on it. In addition, a lot of items (intake included) are much different on the N55.
So you are a closet steelers fan? haha jk. I understand where he is coming from. I just got rid of my n55, and agree that there isn't nearly as much info. I am not sure how the golf tee mod sounds on the n55, but I just did it on my is and I was shocked at the difference it makes. I highly recommend at least trying it. It's so easy a steelers fan can do it. sorry, had to throw that in there haha. Even though the ravens looked like shit tonight, I could not be happier for football season to start again.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yeah i def think i'll be trying the Golf Tee Mod... Seems so simple, just hope there isnt a downside to it... Gotta love Football Season!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post
There are some great options available for you man, I will post up tomorrow when I'm not in bed on my phone. Welcome to the forums!
Great thanks man!!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #13
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
Quote:

Hi, glad to see another guy with the N55 in the 'burgh, i'm in the Sewickley area if you need any help.

I was thinking

From what i have read the Catless DP is one of the best mods to do on the N55. Also, you will not pass emissions tests which our state requires. You will have to have it taken off every year for the emissions test. This will actually be my next mod in addition to Meth (When released)

I have the Injen intake and it seems to give a little of power but nothing that is worth the price tag. It also makes nice sounds lol. OH and another big thing is with the CAI for this car is that it you will NOT pass the emissions test in PA. I tell you this from experience. You have to take the CAI off and drive it for 100 miles for you to pass Emissions if you are getting tested at a BMW dealer.

Chip,
I have the procede and I love it, couldn't be happier (I have not tested JB yet) If you look in the Turbo FS forum someone has a great price on a Procede, you should pick it up. I think it was like $550 or something like that

Yeah my car sits pretty high also and it's an x.

There is no surefire way around this other than removing your mod(s) that would void your warranty before a service and clearing codes.

I was considering an aftermarket exhaust but after the golf tee mod I decided against it. It is just loud enough for me. All I did was kink the flap hose and zip tie it.

PS Please excuse grammar and spelling, typed on the iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
From what i have read the Catless DP is one of the best mods to do on the N55. Also, you will not pass emissions tests which our state requires.
So why not just do the Catted? since that is legal and will pass?
Which DP's do woudl you recommend, i only know of AR...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
Quote:
So why not just do the Catted? since that is legal and will pass?
Which DP's do woudl you recommend, i only know of AR...

Because if I am spending that that much on a DP I want a full potent one! lol

When I get it I am either getting AR or Vishnu.

Here is a link for all the mods:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494316
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #16
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

Cfrem15
welcome to the forums
congrats on the bimmer
i would read up more, check out the sticky.
      08-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #17
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ian above appears to have given very good advice!
      08-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #18
jeff2.0t
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i, 2019 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Ian above appears to have given very good advice!
true!

is it true Vishnu offer a catted DP? It doesn't seem the case on their website. I try to find a catted DP.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #19
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm pretty sure i got all the answers i needed, is the BMS intake any good? i've read a bunch of different things that people have been hearing about without trying it...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #20
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

My opinion still stands that every dyno result of any N55 intake has been sketch. If you want the sound - go for it, but there have also been dyno results where power has been lost because of an aftermarket intake. Either way, the intake isn't a bottle neck until very high boost levels which no one has achieved yet - even Shiv uses the stock intake and he runs meth at 17 pounds.
      08-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #21
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Ok i see, i just figured that since the intake really does nothing on the n55 that i could just get a cheaper one just for the sound... but don't want to lose power so i'll just have to do some more research..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #22
jeff2.0t
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i, 2019 M4

Quote:
Ok i see, i just figured that since the intake really does nothing on the n55 that i could just get a cheaper one just for the sound... but don't want to lose power so i'll just have to do some more research..
As my father say, learn to walk before running.

Learn learn and learn first, know your car and its weakness first and buy after.

Heatsoak affect the N55, Helix make a good FMIC with a good track record, the FMIC will also support your car when you upgrade the tune.

Products for this engine are rare, grab the product with a good track record. in few months choice will be better.

As for the tune IMO wait, better days are comming ahead.
Appreciate 0