BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
BMWMTL514
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40

1st impressions of a 2007 X3 3.0si

Well I have now driven a 2007 X3 (3.0si) for 2 weeks now and here are my comments so far. 1st of all it is not my X3 as mine is arriving in Canada sometime this week with hopefully a delivery at my dealer within the next 2 weeks. But since it is late due to a dealer mistake, they gave me a 2007 X3 as a loaner, same equipement as mine (premium package, auto) with the additionnal servotronic which I didn't order.

- X-drive!!! Man this thing is unstoppable in the now. We just had another snow fall last night (around 15cm of really heavy wet snow) and I went out for a drive on the highway and city and there was nothing stopping the X3!!! The Dunlop winter tires they put on it are amazing and I am getting them for my X3 next winter.

- Handling!!! Really impressive in wet and dry conditions. That is one of the reasons I went for the X3. I am a car guy and only getting an SUV (SAV for BMW) for practical and family reaons, but I still wanted to be able to have fun with the car... and that is totally the case with the X3. I can drive it with gusto and it will respond almost like a car!

- 260HP: That one is less enthousiastic for me. It is a great engine and the power is there... but it is not as responsive at I thought it would be. I think the main reasons is the transmission...(see below)

- Steptronic transm.: I agree with most comments read so far when I say that it is kind of annoying how it chooses to start in 2nd and is somewhat hesitant in looking for the optimal gear. In the city I usually drive in the sports mode (SD) and it is much better. The engine feels like it has additional HP and is peppy and responsive. I have tried the auto transm. reprogram found on Bimmerfest.com and I haven't seen any drastic difference so far.

- Seats: I wish the sports seats were offered without the sports package as they surely would have been a better then the standard ones. I can't say they are uncomfortable, but they're not great seats either. FYI my last car was a Volvo and they are known for some of the most comfortable and best car seats out there. I have yet to take a long trip with the X3 (this summer probably) and when I do, I will have a better idea of how good a job these seats will do for me.

- Amenities: I like the way the X3 is equipped. The upgraded radio isn't bad but not great either. The huuuuuge sunroof is great for the light in the car, but I haven't had a chance to open it yet with our crappy Montreal weather. What I'm suprised about is the automatic wiper mode. I thought it would be annoying and would never work at the right pace, but it has been dead on so far and I'm really enjoying that feature. The aux. jack is great for my Ipod, although placing it in the back center console is kinda dumb if you ask me, but I should be getting the DICE system as soon as I get my own X3. I really HATE the auto dimming mirros at night. I don't get the point. I find visibility is worse at night and that's when you least need the dimming!!! BTW if you are wondering why I got them, I didn't have a choice it came with the PP.

That's about it so far. I must say I wasn't too sure about it in the 1st few days, as I said I am a car guy at heart, but since then it has grown more and more on me and I now feel that it is less and less of a compromise I made for my family and more and more a car that I will actually enjoy driving on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

Thanks for the review! I'm taking my sis to pick up her 07 X3 Sport tomorrow, we're very excited.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Skimo100
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3

I love my 2007 X3. For the price, the standard features and the way it handles, it is an awesome little SUV. Not to mention that a b-mers is always a b-mer and it always stands out.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
fijigabe0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport

i have to disagree with the seating comment. i love the seats to my X3. i come from a dodge pickup, and compared to those seats, the X3 is a dream to sit on. i actually prefer them over the ones in my wife's 330xi.

additionally, once you get to learn how to drive the car, the engine and trans will wake up. the car will adapt to your driving style, and pretty soon, you'll be driving without thinking or hesitation. 2 weeks just isn't enough, in my opinion.

'13 335i M-Sport

Past - '06 330xi, '07 X3 3.0si, '09 328i, '12 X3 XDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
yeung330xi
Jordan aka The GOAT
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330XI

Garage List
was wondering do all the x3 3.0si have the aux jack?
my mom has an x3 and i was going to take it to toronto for the weekend.
      12-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
Oregano123
Banned.....j/k
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 535xi, '11 Panamera

sports seats are a must
      01-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwant12 View Post
- X-drive!!! Man this thing is unstoppable in the now.

I really HATE the auto dimming mirros at night. I don't get the point. I find visibility is worse at night and that's when you least need the dimming!!!

How is the X Drive in the past or future? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Recently I've seen a lot of whining about the auto dimming mirrors. I don't quite understand these complaints. But your comment makes less sense than any I've read. You feel the auto dimming is needed least at night? So, auto dimming in the daytime would be okay, but not when a car is behind you with its headlights shining into your mirror?

I hate to tell you this, but it is generally dark at night. Visibility is greatly reduced in the dark (something to do with the lack of bright light). Headlights in your mirrors not only blind you to what's behind you at night, but they offer enough glare to further impare your forward view. Thing is, they are AUTO dimming... they don't dim all the time, just when lights are sensed at a certain brightness.

Of course, you have every right to your preference for sharp painful headlights in your eyes at night, but why is everyone bashing the technology? I'll never have a car without it again!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
anderson007
Private
Rep
Drives: 330cic

I love auto dim great feature about as good as auto lights.
Appreciate 0