E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 3-series recalls, T.S.B., etc

08-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

3-series recalls, T.S.B., etc

Sorry for the newbie question but:

Is there a list of all the recalls, T.S.B.'s, and whatever other "faulty" issues the e90 3-series had?

..I can't say I know of any actual recall's 328i (sedan) but there has to be 1 or two, even if its a fuse or the ashtray or something.

If there are problems, how would I go about knowing if my car had these issues addressed?

...my car is still under factory warranty and is also a CPO car, so any known defects or faulty stuff should be replaced at no cost to me correct? (other than maybe the $50 fee that is standard)

Thanks.
      08-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
You can just go to the dealership and they can read your key. They should be able to tell you if there were any service bulletins on your vehicle.

The problem is that many are problem based. For instance those with the glossy black shadow line trim have a service bulletin if the doors are creaking, but those without it don't.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
You can just go to the dealership and they can read your key. They should be able to tell you if there were any service bulletins on your vehicle.

The problem is that many are problem based. For instance those with the glossy black shadow line trim have a service bulletin if the doors are creaking, but those without it don't.

How do you go about getting these issues fixed? If it is an actual recall, I'm sure the factory covers it...

however, what about the T.S.B.'s? how are service bulletins "fixed" or "resolved"? Is the dealership going to cover me on these or am I paying out-of-pocket?

(Pretty sure I have the black trim too, 328i sedan w/ sport and does NOT have the chrome trim so I assume that is what the black shadow line trim is?)... how do you know of this T.S.B.? did you get it fixed?
      09-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Recalls and service bulletins are 2 different things.

There can be a service bulletin on a particular part, but if that part doesn't give you any trouble, they won't replace it.

To answer your question there are 2 black trims, shadow line (glossy) and not (matte). The glossy one has a service bulletin on it that if your doors creak they will replace the window trim, or put a tape on the affected part to prevent the creaking noise. If a customer doesn't have that problem at all, the service bulletin obviously doesn't apply to them.

Conversely there could be a non-urgent service bulletin on the software. They may want to upgrade your software even if you're not having problems.

It's more complex than recall or no recall.

If you're under warranty they will fix it
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:59 AM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

There's a recall on the 328 ashtray? The POS loaner I had didn't even have a lighter socket in the ashtray, so what are they recalling?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

There can be a service bulletin on a particular part, but if that part doesn't give you any trouble, they won't replace it.

To answer your question there are 2 black trims, shadow line (glossy) and not (matte). The glossy one has a service bulletin on it that if your doors creak they will replace the window trim, or put a tape on the affected part to prevent the creaking noise. If a customer doesn't have that problem at all, the service bulletin obviously doesn't apply to them.

Conversely there could be a non-urgent service bulletin on the software. They may want to upgrade your software even if you're not having problems.

It's more complex than recall or no recall.

If you're under warranty they will fix it

Exactly, I am looking for a list of service bulletins on 3-series parts, and a list of recalls. I want to just kind of scan down the T.S.B.'s so I know what to keep an eye out for you know?

I kind of figure the dealer will automatically take care of any recalls, but how does one go about fixing a T.S.B.'s? will they replace it, even if they don't think its causing me problems?

ex: say I have that shadow trim, but my door doesn't squeak, would they replace anyway?

I am still under factory warranty until Feb, or another 4k. And my car is CPO, so I have another 2 years ontop of that. Looking to keep my car in tip-top shape.
      09-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you want access to every bulletin and recall for BMW cars you can access the BMW technical site. It is the same one that the delaerships use and includes all the information the dealerships use. It is $30 for a 24 hour pass or $250 for a month.

BMWtis.com
      09-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
If you want access to every bulletin and recall for BMW cars you can access the BMW technical site. It is the same one that the delaerships use and includes all the information the dealerships use. It is $30 for a 24 hour pass or $250 for a month.

BMWtis.com

This doesn't surprise me....

... there have to be more common, or "more serious" T.S.B's than others... I mean who cares if your door squeaks a little, if your steering wheel is prone to falling off? (I get the steering wheel thing would be consider safety and would be a recall IF this was an actual problem, it is not) but you see what I am saying. Some of the T.S.B's have to be related to more serious issues than others.

I am sure many fellow e9x'ers have been through some of BMW's T.S.B.'s... care to share?
      09-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

try this:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3793

not the most organized, but its a start
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

Quote:

+1, unless the parts is not working or you are getting a CEL, little chance the dealer is going to fix it for you under warranty, of course, they will be happy to replace anything for you if you gonna pay for it, recall is a different story, dealer will replace the parts under the recall even if its working fine
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #11
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
Exactly, I am looking for a list of service bulletins on 3-series parts, and a list of recalls. I want to just kind of scan down the T.S.B.'s so I know what to keep an eye out for you know?

I kind of figure the dealer will automatically take care of any recalls, but how does one go about fixing a T.S.B.'s? will they replace it, even if they don't think its causing me problems?

ex: say I have that shadow trim, but my door doesn't squeak, would they replace anyway?

I am still under factory warranty until Feb, or another 4k. And my car is CPO, so I have another 2 years ontop of that. Looking to keep my car in tip-top shape.

No they wouldn't replace it anyway. They'd have to reproduce the problem. For instance 1 out of 4 of my doors squeaked, so they only replaced the 1 door molding, despite there being a SB on it.

I think if you go into the service department and have them read your key, if the SA is nice enough, they'll let you see what's out there.

Recalls are another story. They're required to tell you about those. Voluntary recalls (like the HPFP) again, are another story. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #12
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I had printed a copy of the SIB list from about 5 months ago. If I remember correctly the list of just the bulletins and theier subject was 25+ pages. That was not the entire bulletins, just a list by category and SIB number and it was pretty small print. The list started around 2005 and went until current so yo can imagine that it covered pretty much everything including things light the insulation blanket under the hood being dropped from cars after 2009, and the flashlight that used to be in the glovebox until 2008,, and the rattle that comes out of the dash due to the trim piece not being attached properly. So it does cover squeaks and noises and yes the dealer did fix the rattle in my car.
It is worth the $30 but be sure to give yourself a good chunkof time to explore the whole site not just the SIBs.
      08-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
cliffschum
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330

SIB request

Trying unsuccessfully to get on bmwtis site. Not sure why it won't accept my info, and have emailed them..

Have appt at dealer tomorrow, and would like to obtain the following SIB:

61 28 06
61 29 06
61 34 06

Any help is appreciated !!

Thanks,

Cliff
cliffschum@aol.com
Appreciate 0