E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My Mod Roadmap

08-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
youngb4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M Sport

My Mod Roadmap

Hey all,

So I've been swatting the mod bug away for 6 months now but I've been having an urge lately to give in to some minor tasteful mods. I've listed 'em out below, so please let me know what you think! I drive a sapphire black M-sport e92 xdrive for reference.

Wheels: Avant Garde M310, 19" gunmetal with machined face. I've seen a picture of these on what I'm fairly sure is a jet black e92 and I have to say I think they look pretty great and that they'd provide a good enough color contrast with my sapphire black. However my e92 is an xdrive and I have no plans on lowering it. Anyone have an opinion on if this wheel type looks too "aggressive" for my stock stance?
EDIT: Link to pic I was referencing:
http://www.**********s.com/images/Pr...d%20335i-2.htm

Front End: BMW gloss black kidney grills and possibly swapping the fog lights out for the 335is grille inserts. I love how clean they make the front end look and am currently looking into fog deletes with proper coding to prevent error messages (so far no luck finding anything local ) Should I also look into color matched front fender reflectors? They don't bother me now, but as I start switching to a darker theme, maybe they'll stand out more to me?

Rear End: Not really cosmetic but I'm heavily considering the BMW performance exhaust. From the videos/reviews I've seen, it + the N55 seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Have to say, wish the tips were a bit larger/more agressive though.

Interior: Possibly carbon fiber trim, I haven't decided if I should do a DIY wrap or go with actual CF trim. I know it's probably been beaten to death somewhere on here, and I'll admit I only did a bit of searching on Google regarding people's preferences. Regardless, I wouldn't mind a quick opinion if anyone had one!

Misc: Tint - Jury's still out on this. Legal limit in KC is 35% all around (except windshield). This may be just right considering my interior is also black. I know I don't want to go limo and I don't know how picky local law enforcement is about it, but I don't really feel like advertising "pull me over!"

To sum it up, anyone think this will look too dark once done? I've heard the term "murdered out" and I’m really not trying to go for that (not my thing), just looking to slightly increase the aggressiveness of my coupe. I know these mods aren't particularly original or crazy, just looking for others opinions as they pertain to my car.

Thanks all for your time!

Last edited by youngb4; 08-31-2011 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
cabophisher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black M3 CP

Mod list looks good. Here is an example of the gunmetal wheel in 19" on an xi.

I would blow off the interior carbon fiber looking stuff and go with a JB4. Easy to install and +50hp/tq is lots of fun.

The grilles are very easy to install and change the look for not much $$. The grilles look silly without changing the wheels - so do them at the same time.
Attached Images

08-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
youngb4
Private
Rep

Cabophister - thanks for the advice! That pic is sans any aftermarket suspension or spacers correct? The gaps look pretty good! What brand and size tires did you run if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
BMCoupe_782
Bavarian Fever
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 328xi TiAg

Painted reflectors is a must. It's so small but makes a huge difference IMO. Makes the front look a lot cleaner. The blacked out kidneys also give the car a more aggressive look. A rear spoiler (not a giant wing) is also a classy touch.
| ESS n52 Tune | BMW Performance Intake/Exhaust | LUX H8 v3 AE | GP Thunder 8500K fogs/corners | LED: signals/interior | V1 hardwired | debadge | AC pedals | Performance shift knob/boot | CF e-brake | Aero lip | m3 side skirts/spoiler | MB kidneys | Strut brace | Painted reflectors | Painted Calipers/Hubs | 35% 3M tint | Smoked tails | CF Roundels | 19" Miro 942 | Conti DWS | H&R Springs for xi | Bilstein Shocks| Nxt: Alpine Subs/Amps
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
swatting the mod bug. that's funny! that only works for me for about 1-2 weeks since I got my 335!!!

Wheels: what do you have now? 193s? 230s? I personally like the 193s as they really set the M pack cars apart. Gunmetal should look good though on your car and Avant Garde are supposed to be pretty good wheels, at least according to Alan at **********s. Just definitely don't do black wheels if you don't want the "murdered out" look. I wasn't going for this either on my car but I like the subdued look of no chrome and I will be tinting my windows...tomorrow in fact!

Front end: glossy grilles are good. is your window trim glossy? If it is matte then i would match it with matte black grilles. anything but chrome, homey! No comment really on the stance. If you like the wheels and don't care about the space, then that's all that matters. You could also consider glossy 335i black badging...esp. if there is no other chrome on your car if you replace the grilles...

I haven't seen the is grille inserts, but I do like the front end on the is, so should look good. Seems like it would be a more unique mod than the M3 rep bumper which is pretty played at this point...Don't think about painted reflectors, just do it! That is an E92 or LCI E90 mod "must" IMO.

Rear: Many on here seem to like PE. You have N55, right, so if I am correct you cannot disconnect the power to the solenoid that controls the valve to open both exhaust pipes? I did this on my N54 and the sound diff is noticeable. And it's free! Have you considered downpipes as an alternative? People say this improves sound and it certainly is a performance mod as well. As for tips, go with DiMisa Tips. They can be installed by an exhaust shop after you put your exhaust on. I have the black powdercoated ones on my BSM E90 and it is probably my favorite mod so far. Well, except for my PROcede. Here's a link to some pics of my car: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562520

Interior: what is your trim now? wood? aluminum? if it's aluminum I'd leave it, personally. I am not doing the CF thing, but if I did the rule would be only REAL CF goes on my car. I think the trim is expensive for what it is. I'd spend my money dropping the car with KW v2 coilovers before I spent money on that...

yes to tint. 35% should look good on a black/black car. Again I dont' feel like my car's murdered out b/c well i don't have 22" spinners on it, but I like the stock 162s as they do give some contrast. What about aftermarket halo's? You don't have the new LED rings stock do you? If you consider this, get Lux.

hope this helps. just one man's opinions of course. keep us updated and post some pics.
      08-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
youngb4
Private
Rep

First post edited to include picture showing M310 wheels on black e92, hopefully that will help get more opinions!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
youngb4
Private
Rep

Sickem, you're car looks great! Very tastefully done IMO, similar to what I am after.

I currently have 193m's and do really enjoy them. I wouldn't think of getting rid of them, though I may entertain making them my snow setup if I go the Avant Garde route. Check out the link I added to my original post if you have time, they're kind of a gunmetal hybrid since the face is machined and polished.

I have the glossy black (shadowline) trim that came stock with the M-sport so the grills should tie in with that nicely, and it looks like I should end up doing the painted reflectors as well! A CSL trunk lid did cross my mind as well...but I have to stop somewhere!

I have the bamboo anthracite and actually like it a lot; I think it's a nice combo of sporty class! I'll most likely end up leaving it be, but the CF could be a nice change up (just can't get over the $$$$$ for a true CF trim kit).

And as far as halos go, I'm all set with the 2011 amazing OEM LED setup! I love every time I catch their reflection in something, it's a sick obsession.

Anyways thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it! Hopefully more people weigh in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
swatting the mod bug. that's funny! that only works for me for about 1-2 weeks since I got my 335!!!

Wheels: what do you have now? 193s? 230s? I personally like the 193s as they really set the M pack cars apart. Gunmetal should look good though on your car and Avant Garde are supposed to be pretty good wheels, at least according to Alan at **********s. Just definitely don't do black wheels if you don't want the "murdered out" look. I wasn't going for this either on my car but I like the subdued look of no chrome and I will be tinting my windows...tomorrow in fact!

Front end: glossy grilles are good. is your window trim glossy? If it is matte then i would match it with matte black grilles. anything but chrome, homey! No comment really on the stance. If you like the wheels and don't care about the space, then that's all that matters. You could also consider glossy 335i black badging...esp. if there is no other chrome on your car if you replace the grilles...

I haven't seen the is grille inserts, but I do like the front end on the is, so should look good. Seems like it would be a more unique mod than the M3 rep bumper which is pretty played at this point...Don't think about painted reflectors, just do it! That is an E92 or LCI E90 mod "must" IMO.

Rear: Many on here seem to like PE. You have N55, right, so if I am correct you cannot disconnect the power to the solenoid that controls the valve to open both exhaust pipes? I did this on my N54 and the sound diff is noticeable. And it's free! Have you considered downpipes as an alternative? People say this improves sound and it certainly is a performance mod as well. As for tips, go with DiMisa Tips. They can be installed by an exhaust shop after you put your exhaust on. I have the black powdercoated ones on my BSM E90 and it is probably my favorite mod so far. Well, except for my PROcede. Here's a link to some pics of my car: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562520

Interior: what is your trim now? wood? aluminum? if it's aluminum I'd leave it, personally. I am not doing the CF thing, but if I did the rule would be only REAL CF goes on my car. I think the trim is expensive for what it is. I'd spend my money dropping the car with KW v2 coilovers before I spent money on that...

yes to tint. 35% should look good on a black/black car. Again I dont' feel like my car's murdered out b/c well i don't have 22" spinners on it, but I like the stock 162s as they do give some contrast. What about aftermarket halo's? You don't have the new LED rings stock do you? If you consider this, get Lux.

hope this helps. just one man's opinions of course. keep us updated and post some pics.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 01:56 AM   #8
phazen23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabophisher View Post
Mod list looks good. Here is an example of the gunmetal wheel in 19" on an xi.

I would blow off the interior carbon fiber looking stuff and go with a JB4. Easy to install and +50hp/tq is lots of fun.

The grilles are very easy to install and change the look for not much $$. The grilles look silly without changing the wheels - so do them at the same time.
Sweet ride!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngb4 View Post
Sickem, you're car looks great! Very tastefully done IMO, similar to what I am after.

I currently have 193m's and do really enjoy them. I wouldn't think of getting rid of them, though I may entertain making them my snow setup if I go the Avant Garde route. Check out the link I added to my original post if you have time, they're kind of a gunmetal hybrid since the face is machined and polished.

I have the glossy black (shadowline) trim that came stock with the M-sport so the grills should tie in with that nicely, and it looks like I should end up doing the painted reflectors as well! A CSL trunk lid did cross my mind as well...but I have to stop somewhere!

I have the bamboo anthracite and actually like it a lot; I think it's a nice combo of sporty class! I'll most likely end up leaving it be, but the CF could be a nice change up (just can't get over the $$$$$ for a true CF trim kit).

And as far as halos go, I'm all set with the 2011 amazing OEM LED setup! I love every time I catch their reflection in something, it's a sick obsession.

Anyways thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it! Hopefully more people weigh in!
thanks for the compliment. I am really enjoying this car. I'm new to modding but it is easy to see how it's like crack!

Definitely liking those wheels. I might go that route or try to find some 19" style 313's. I would say put BMW center caps on them for sure. I'm jealous of your OEM LEDs...I cheaped out on mine and I'm paying for it (codes, malfunctions, etc.). Lux will be next. I'm sitting in Panera while they tint my windows. I'll post some pics tomorrow after I warsh the badboy. I am awaiting a painted M3 lip spoiler from E92-lighting and aluminum pedals. After that will be updating my PROcede to v5, then cooling it for a bit. Enjoy the car, bro!
      09-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
cabophisher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngb4 View Post
Cabophister - thanks for the advice! That pic is sans any aftermarket suspension or spacers correct? The gaps look pretty good! What brand and size tires did you run if you don't mind me asking?
I haven't done anything to the stock 'sport' suspension. The wheels are 19" VMR V710 (19x9 front 19x9.5 rear). Tires 245x35x19 and 265x30x19. I probably should have done 275 on the rear. Hankook Ventus V12
      09-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
Vesar
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 320i Ε92 M-Sport

Garage List
2007 BMW 320i  [10.00]
These rims looks ashtonishing!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
michollock
Rep
Drives: 330i

Really like those wheels. Works great with your car!
Appreciate 0