E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Assinine Insurance Adjustors

09-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
cfabluenose
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

Assinine Insurance Adjustors

I had the misfortune to run into some flooding while on vacation in Vermont courtesy of Hurricane Irene. The floorpan of my 328i was flooded so I had it towed to the nearest dealer in Shelburne.

I called my insurance company to make a claim since drying the floor of the car will be expensive. And draining the water from the floorpan and drying it out needed to be done asap to limit any damage to the car and electrical systems. I impressed this upon my insurance company.

I was shocked to find out that 2 days had gone by with no other work than draining some water from the car. The claims adjustor had told the dealer to wait until he showed up to inspect the car.

Frankly I cannot believe how idiotic my asshole insurance company is. There is absolutely no question that the floorpan needs to be promptly dried and inspected.

I told the dealer to go ahead to open up the floorpan and to dry it out. In the meantime I contacted the insurance company to politely as possible tell them what buttheads they are. The adjustor can either get his ass in gear to look at the car or take a look at the car after the floorpan has been opened up and dried.

2009 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

My home was flooded and destroyed in Hurricane Ivan (2004, Pensacola FL).

My adjuster, while standing in my wrecked living room (four foot of water found its way in my house, by the way), had the gall to tell me "Well, for the time being, I would think it satisfactory to sleep in your same room..I mean, there should be no hazard and the most you would suffer was a leaking roof."

My exact words were, and I quote myself to show how proud I am of my statement... "Get the F**K out of my house. And when they send the next one of you pricks back, they better not even know who the hell you are."

My policy was paid in full within a week's time. I think it was six days after that, because the next day a lady adjuster came out, walked around with a clipboard making check marks, snapped pics, and left with a "Thankyou, sir."

I sincerely thought I screwed myself over big time. But, my temper actually got me somewhere for once!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
cfabluenose
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Guy sounds like a true jerk. Good for you to tell to tell him to go to hell. Do some of these guys even use their eyes and brains?

2009 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

This is one of those things--what's important to us, does not have the same priority to the insurance co. Think about it, if you walk into the ER of a hospital, how are you treated? You must be there because it's pretty important to you.

The OP's story does not surprise me in the least bit, and the adjuster is not necessarily a a****le. The dealer doesn't seem to care that much when a 335i arrives on a flatbed, a car with water is the same as a doa 335.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Wrngway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

I'm curious to find out who you're insurance company is. I had a coworker that had a bad experience with progressive lately. I've been using usaa with no complaints
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
No disrespect by any means... and i dont dispute that your insurance company sucks... they are all crooks... that said, your car is in VT... VT is dealing with the worst of the worst aftermath. some entire towns (the one where my ski house is) are only accessible by air. its a mess.

its best that your physically okay and it sounds like your car will make a full recovery but all the people working insurance in VT must be in over their heads right now...

Last edited by B-737; 09-01-2011 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
akdoc
BMW for life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Garage List
I had a similar experience with my insurance company but with a theft issue. Back in May this year, my house got broken into while my wife, kids and I were sleeping. We didn't even hear the intruder in the house and it wasn't until my neighbor and the security patrol rang our doorbell and woke us up.

They ended up taking the car keys to my wife's Mercedes SUV (one key) and both keys to my Z4 (that I had at the time). My insurance company only wanted to pay to replace just the remotes, not the blades that resides in the keys. Their stance was that the robbers will not come back and they will not pay for it.

I did file a police report that night and gave it to the insurance company but they still said no. I authorized the replacement of the remotes and the blades and re-keyed the cars. The cost was over $3K. I tried to get them to pay as did my agent and they still said no. My agent kept calling and eventually spoke to the president of the company and he said no because the robbers won't be back.

Well, two weeks later, they came back and tried to break in. Well, my house was on total lock down at 1 am, the alarm was set so no one was getting in. My wife and I were up talking at 1 am and we heard a screen getting cut. We immediately called LAPD, our security patrol and I started to turn on lights and shined a flashlight out the windows. The robber was gone by the time the police came and we saw the next morning, four window screens were cut. We filed another report and I gave that to my agent.

He submitted it, spoke to the president of the company and then they agreed to pay. It was complete pain but it finally got done. It should have been done this way from the get go.

Now that we are three months post break in, my wife is still a little freaked out and even more paranoid than before. It was suggested to me to get a gun (no way) and then a dog (I am too neat to deal with the hairs and then the poop). We beefed up the security system and double check the locks on all the windows before we go to sleep to make sure they are locked.

We are happy that no one got hurt.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
GE
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdoc View Post
I had a similar experience with my insurance company but with a theft issue. Back in May this year, my house got broken into while my wife, kids and I were sleeping. We didn't even hear the intruder in the house and it wasn't until my neighbor and the security patrol rang our doorbell and woke us up.

[edit]

lol. Stuff like this doesn't happen in Texas. You just have a dead intruder that can't give his side of the story.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
Dr. Nate
Nate Dogg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE View Post
lol. Stuff like this doesn't happen in Texas. You just have a dead intruder that can't give his side of the story.
LOL we have guys like Joe Horn who watch out for their neighbor's homes.

-Nate
      09-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post
No disrespect by any means... and i dont dispute that your insurance company sucks... they are all crooks... that said, your car is in VT... VT is dealing with the worst of the worst aftermath. some entire towns (the one where my ski house is) are only accessible by air. its a mess.

its best that your physically okay and it sounds like your car will make a full recovery but all the people working insurance in VT must be in over their heads right now...
This... normally following natural disaters there is so many claims being filed that they cant get to all of them this instance.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
cfabluenose
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post

I totally understand that the adjustors there are overwhelmed with claims. But it would be an entirely reasonable compromise for the adjustor to tell the dealer to go ahead and dry out the car until he could get there to see it. If the dealer's inspection of the opened up floorpan showed that additional repairs were needed, they could wait until the adjustor could look at the car. But at least the car would be dry and the risk for corrosion and additional damage eliminated. It's only a matter of common sense and practicality. I don't think that is too much to expect from an insurance company. However, maybe it is.

2009 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
cfabluenose
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrngway View Post
I'm curious to find out who you're insurance company is. I had a coworker that had a bad experience with progressive lately. I've been using usaa with no complaints
No, it wasn't Progressive. It's Monnex (Canadian firm).

2009 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
Sweep_the_Leg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:

They ended up taking the car keys to my wife's Mercedes SUV (one key) and both keys to my Z4 (that I had at the time). My insurance company only wanted to pay to replace just the remotes, not the blades that resides in the keys. Their stance was that the robbers will not come back and they will not pay for it.

I did file a police report that night and gave it to the insurance company but they still said no. I authorized the replacement of the remotes and the blades and re-keyed the cars. The cost was over $3K. I tried to get them to pay as did my agent and they still said no. My agent kept calling and eventually spoke to the president of the company and he said no because the robbers won't be back.

Well, two weeks later, they came back and tried to break in. Well, my house was on total lock down at 1 am, the alarm was set so no one was getting in. My wife and I were up talking at 1 am and we heard a screen getting cut. We immediately called LAPD, our security patrol and I started to turn on lights and shined a flashlight out the windows. The robber was gone by the time the police came and we saw the next morning, four window screens were cut. We filed another report and I gave that to my agent.

He submitted it, spoke to the president of the company and then they agreed to pay. It was complete pain but it finally got done. It should have been done this way from the get go.

Now that we are three months post break in, my wife is still a little freaked out and even more paranoid than before. It was suggested to me to get a gun (no way) and then a dog (I am too neat to deal with the hairs and then the poop). We beefed up the security system and double check the locks on all the windows before we go to sleep to make sure they are locked.

And I would hope part of the epilogue to that story was you getting a new insurance company. That's just ridiculous. If a thief knows there are two very expensive vehicles just sitting in a garage, he's got keys that probably still work, and all he has to do is just get into that garage again, then OF COURSE he's going to try. That would be a huge score for him. It's much better than the typical take of a flat screen or two from the average burglary.
      09-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Quote:

Buy a gun. (Would be easier to exercise this right if you lived in a free state) You know what they say: "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
togatown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Audi S4

Pretty much standard practice.
Most insurance companies will not authorize a repair shop to proceed unless they send their own adjustors out. The exception is when you go to one of their "approved" shops. These shops expedite the process using electronic communication, and have rates that are agreed to in advance with the insurance company and usually don't need to wait for an adjustor to come out.
If you decide to start repairs with a non-approved shop before the company OK's the claim, you might be out some money if the shop charges more for the repair that allowable. Labor rates are set and not negotiable so if the going labor rate for a repair is $100 per hour and the shop you want to go to is $ 125.00, you will be one the hook for the extra amount.
There is a duty to prevent further damage so if drying out the car was necessary to prevent further damage, I would have told the shop to at least do that if they were certain it would prevent more of a loss.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
Dr. Nate
Nate Dogg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Saloon

I didn't know it required approval from an insurance agency to take a shop vacuum and get all of the water out and throw in a few boxes of baking soda to absorb the moisture. It isn't rust that I'd worry about, its the mold. Even if they replace the carpet the musty smell can remain as other items in the car that weren't soaked by the flood begin to mold as well.

-Nate
      09-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

Man...you gotta get a gun. I specifically have a Springfield XD9 SC which NEVER leaves my car and is ALWAYS loaded.

Hell, only a few months back a guy stopped at an ATM at midnight and three guys held him at gun point and demanded he empty his account. Being that it was a drive thru
ATM, the drivier (an off duty police officer), said "alright, alright! Don't shoot!! Let me get my atm card! don't shoot!"

BAM, BAM, BAM.

Perp 1. Dead.
Perp 2. Dead.
Perp 3. As well as dead.
Driver = Safe and sound, as well as any occupants he might have had.

My three story home has weapons on every floor, and I have a concealed weapons permit. I live next to a congressman on one side, and a doctor on the other. I find we are all nearly equally armed. Including our vehicles.... We aren't gun nuts, or people who get off on showing them to everyone. We don't even "collect" firearms. No guests to our homes know we are armed unless they inquire. We just wanna have the ability to turn a situation in our favor at ANY TIME, and in ANY PLACE, no questions asked, and no police required. I and my family depend solely on myself to protect our lives and valuables, because the distance we live from town is far and the police could get here no quicker than ten minutes on a good day/night.

If I had heard someone cutting out my screens, I'd have sat silent and waited to hear it again. No movement. Castle Doctrine dictates that in my state, on my property (including an automobile at any location, even moving), I have the inherent right to drop your ass if I fear for my family's safety. Just like you feared for yours. If I heard a window open, I'd have made a move for one of my weapons MUCH sooner than I ran to a phone.

I've had multiple break ins. One time (I wasn't home) Theives broke my safe which was bolted to my concrete floor out, and lugged it to my 1st floor, then beat it with a sledge hammer. This safe weighs over 500lb, easy; I'm pretty sure it's 750lb. Unsuccessful, they shot at it, leaving bullet holes in my walls from ricochet rounds. Next, in anger I assume, they took the sledge to all my stuff. They left the safe there by my front door (thank god) because the dumb asses weren't intelligent enough to realize although it wouldn't fit through that door it WOULD through the one in the garage...

Never again will this happen, not if they find me at home. In the previous case, the men were obviously armed with weapons. Their goal was to seize my liquid capital and gold, and I assume they were willing to kill or maim to get it.

Not in this house. I'm very well armed now, freely exercising my rights as an American. (No, I'm not in the Tea Party lol!)

Get a gun, even a tiny one. For your wife and children...anything less is shameful. I realize this only AFTER hearing of shootings and breakins, thinking it would never be me, and then it BEING ME. I was dumb. Take peremptory action before it's too late.

In summary, I apologize for drifting the topic from asinine insurance adjusters to this; and also, breakins do happen, especially in LA. It's my opinion that if your police record will allow you to arm yourself, you should, no doubt about it.

Last edited by OdomPHD; 09-02-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
togatown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nate View Post
I didn't know it required approval from an insurance agency to take a shop vacuum and get all of the water out and throw in a few boxes of baking soda to absorb the moisture. It isn't rust that I'd worry about, its the mold. Even if they replace the carpet the musty smell can remain as other items in the car that weren't soaked by the flood begin to mold as well.

-Nate
Everyone should know by now insurance companies don't do things that make sense in the everyday world.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #19
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
U know adjustors don't die because the devil doesn't want the competition and no way are they going to heaven.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #20
DaveL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

Just curious here....Who's the insurance Co.??Tell me it's neither Progressive/All-State. They really suck.Good luck with this.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #21
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
U know adjustors don't die because the devil doesn't want the competition and no way are they going to heaven.
haha
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #22
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
Just curious here....Who's the insurance Co.??Tell me it's neither Progressive/All-State. They really suck.Good luck with this.
he said it was Monnex, its a CND insurance firm and they are very slow
Appreciate 0