E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > get your motor running

09-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
etichi
Slow,fast,slow, then you die.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 07,AA short shifter, COBB

get your motor running

Every get a kick how Escalades and big fat ass SUVs think they can hang on the turnpike? I was coming up from Pompano today from a kickass non-kid two day connect time with my wife and I have to say that I had a blast watching the SUVs trying to snake by in the right lane when they thought the timing was right. It was like watching a whale beach itself. Furthermore these drivers get so used to pushing people around in a urban setting that it seems they think it transcends to a high speed road. Needless to say just a good time boosting along all the way home.

But I did digress; I wonder why we don't have laws here in the states to prevent the bigger, slower vehicles from driving in the left lane even though they think it is their right? Sad really that we Americans think we have the right to drive wherever and however we feel like it even though it is completely unsafe.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Most States do have slower-traffic-keep-right laws on the books. Rarely enforced, however.

Bummer.
      09-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
etichi
United_States
Rep

Thats what I don't understand! This is more of an offense than speeding. Most people started acting like f'ing gorillas in a cage when some pinhead was in the left lane constipating the whole system.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

So the SUVs are trying to get past you on the right lanes? Are you clogging up the left lane?

Americans should take a lesson by driving in Germany where the laws are clear and concise. Drivers are required to be alert at all times to avoid an accident or lots of abuse from other drivers.

Pacing traffic in the left lane is downright dangerous in Germany. I've seen only a handful of drivers unaware on the left side. Soon enough, a car traveling 50mph faster will be slamming their brakes, lights flashing and horn blaring. Scary sight. Needless to say, the slow driver quickly moves to the right and stays there for the remainder of the drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Why would you stay in the left lane if you aren't passing anyone?

Sorry, but I can't stand drivers like you.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

OP is like most drivers and keeping up with traffice in the left lane. Sure, go 80 in a 70 and some clown wants to pass you on the right to move up one spot.

If you get in the right lane your now going 65.

If the traffic opens up I am happy to move over.

I was depressed for days after driving the Autobahn.

SUVs roll over real nice when avoiding an accident. Especially the older ones parents give to new teenage children thinking the are "Safer" in a bigger car.

Sucks driving on florida pikes, too flat and straight!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Likwid
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 M5

In Germany, they strictly enforce the "keep right except when passing" laws. I witnessed several people get tickets for lingering in the passing lane.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Don't know if it's still the case, but it always seemed to me that once you got away from the coasts (and higher traffic densities), lane discipline is observed by more (but certainly not all) American drivers. But the east coast is certainly a mess, in spite of "keep right except to pass" signs.

I still can't get over an incident about 10 years ago when travelling on a major 2 lane highway in one of the Canadian prairie provinces. I was driving a Z3 about 60 in a 55 mph zone, when I approached the car in front of me who was at the speed limit or slightly below. Even though there was no oncoming traffic and I could see at least two miles down the road for a safe and easy pass, the Canadian driver actually moved over onto the paved shoulder for me to pass. It cost him nothing and renewed my faith in my fellow drivers.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

people who drives big ass suv such as escalade are most likely have higher ego, hence more arrogant, i am sure market research will say that too, of course, not everyone, but majority buyers of escalade are, maybe that explains that particular driving behavior.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
Me_Hi
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: *

Don't forget that people live in their own worlds when they are driving thier cars. Haven't you sometimes driven slower than normal, for whatever reason - migrane, just got dumped, got fired, getting a blowjob while driving or found out you have crabs ...etc ?. Now immagine you, driving because you're late for an interview, got a booty call, gotta take a shit, whatever..... It's still you, driving totally different.
There should be a system of communicating between cars - If someone is driving slower, you should be able to press a button on your steering wheel which send a signal to the car in front of you, and a nice robotic voice will tell that person over the car's speaker system that the person behind him requests to pass. If that person gets more than one of these messages while driving in the passing lanes, that person should get the point sooner or later in what lane they belong. Now this system should be multilingual - Indian and Chineese must be the default languages of this device. I'm not racist so don't even.....
      09-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Hi View Post
There should be a system of communicating between cars - If someone is driving slower, you should be able to press a button on your steering wheel which send a signal to the car in front of you..
My car has two. The headlight flasher and the horn are both universal signals to request clearance for passing. Unfortunately, effective communication requires comprehension on the part of the recipient which is sadly lacking with many drivers.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
Me_Hi
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
My car has two. The headlight flasher and the horn are both universal signals to request clearance for passing. Unfortunately, effective communication requires comprehension on the part of the recipient which is sadly lacking with many drivers.

Tom
I think it's illegal in some places to flash someone in order to pass. The horn can be perceived as a provocation and may trigger stubbornness. Also, if you're "old" and hear a horn while not knowing you're blocking the traffick, it can "scare" them and make them do some evasive maneuvers and swirl off the road or you can get ignored as old people think it does not pertain to them as they are driving "safe"

if you have a nice voice telling you to move to the side to allow for traffic to pass you, you might get a more positive response from everyone.
      09-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it's illegal in some places to flash someone in order to pass..
True - even though it's accepted practice in Europe and one reason all cars now have a column operated switch, rather than the floor switches which were common on older American cars. But in many states it's the flashing to warn oncoming drivers of a radar trap or other police presence which is more often enforced - although there are some first amendment issues.

Quote:
if you have a nice voice telling you to move to the side to allow for traffic to pass you, you might get a more positive response from everyone.
While this would be hoped for, I suspect the (not so nice) police voice writing tickets for failure to keep to the right would be more effective.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
etichi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargamon View Post
OP is like most drivers and keeping up with traffice in the left lane. Sure, go 80 in a 70 and some clown wants to pass you on the right to move up one spot.

If you get in the right lane your now going 65.

If the traffic opens up I am happy to move over.

I was depressed for days after driving the Autobahn.

SUVs roll over real nice when avoiding an accident. Especially the older ones parents give to new teenage children thinking the are "Safer" in a bigger car.

Sucks driving on florida pikes, too flat and straight!
This. Thanks, I wasn't clear in my post that I was keeping traffic and was trying to get by in the left lane with SUV trying to snake by in the right.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #15
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 M3, 2006 325i

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
I've been driving in Europe on couple occasions. What surprised me is how polite and great most of drivers are. If you driving in the left lane and there is a car in front of you, if you want to pass it, all you have to do is turn your left blinker on. Most of times the car in front of you will more to right lane so you can pass.

Unfortunately, this is not the case in United States. It is sad true that there are many obnoxious and inconsiderate drivers. Not all of them, BTW, drive big SUV's. I drive big SUV too, but unlike others I go 80-90 mph. So, if you see me me.
      09-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #16
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
People here think driving is a constitutional right rather than a privilege.