E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Ways to dial out understeer

09-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Gator328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92 328i

Ways to dial out understeer

I'm curious to know if there are any definitive ways to get rid of the understeer I experience in my 328i. Has anyone successfully gotten rid of it in their car? Currently, I have the stock set-up with Bridgestone run-flat tires. I'm wondering if perhaps I could use a stiffer sway bar in the rear to help alleviate some of it. Or, is the problem the tires? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      09-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Are you running the sport package?
If so...you could reduce or remove your tire stagger.
      09-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

Do you have the sport package? Are you on all seasons or summers?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

To gain more oversteer - front and rear sway bars, rear LSD, the stiffest shocks and springs you can find or a set of nice coilovers. Certainly a set of wider wheels and tires would help as well.
      09-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
N6CRB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 Xdrive 28i Alpinweiss

Well. If your pushing' in the turns I'd go down on the track bar a couple a rounds.
Sorry, race rained out and I need my NASCAR fix.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Wider front tires (or narrow rear tires) will do it - basically squaring up the setup, BMW runs the narrow front rubber for this purpose on the sport package. Stiffer sway bars will also help dial it out, I think Turner sells a kit or the M3 units will help. An LSD won't fix a chassis issue (if you have understeer off the throttle or on the brakes it is still understeer), but it will help rear traction in an on-throttle situation, which may actually make your understeer worse until you break traction and start to rotate the car on the throttle. Also, randomly firming up the springs can reduce understeer but will cause other issues as the sway bar is controlling that during cornering, if you stiffen up the shocks enough to reduce understeer, the sway-bar is no longer doing it's job properly and you will probably have introduced all kinds of other handling issues.
If you think you have issues - try my E93 top down which move the weight bias another 5% to the rear!

Last edited by roadkillrob; 09-05-2011 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

And for an inexpensive quick and dirty fix, try inflating your front tires about 4 psi above the recommended pressure. But be aware that the car will be more sensitive to crosswinds at freeway speeds.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator328i View Post
I'm curious to know if there are any definitive ways to get rid of the understeer I experience in my 328i. Has anyone successfully gotten rid of it in their car? Currently, I have the stock set-up with Bridgestone run-flat tires. I'm wondering if perhaps I could use a stiffer sway bar in the rear to help alleviate some of it. Or, is the problem the tires? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
A Square setup will minimise any understeer, wide is beautiful

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
JS82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 328i 6MT Jet Black

Looking at his picture, I think OP has the non-sport Coupe with a square setup
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82 View Post
Think you could be right, he never replied to the question! This is a sports package, including girlfriend wheel rash.
Attached Images

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
Gator328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82 View Post
You are correct, I do not have the sports package but on the option list it says I have the sports suspension. If memory serves that's standard on all the coupes, right? As for wheels, I'm running the standard 225/17s on all four corners. I'm really surprised with the level of understeer I'm experiencing. I can't help but wonder if the run-flats have something to do with it. I never had this kind of problem with my E46, which did have the sports package.
      09-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator328i View Post
You are correct, I do not have the sports package but on the option list it says I have the sports suspension. If memory serves that's standard on all the coupes, right? As for wheels, I'm running the standard 225/17s on all four corners. I'm really surprised with the level of understeer I'm experiencing. I can't help but wonder if the run-flats have something to do with it. I never had this kind of problem with my E46, which did have the sports package.
Yes all the coupes have the sport suspension just not the rest of the package. I would put high performance summer tires on there and start from there. There is only so much grip an all weather tire can provide in the dry.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Wider front tires (or narrow rear tires) will do it - basically squaring up the setup, BMW runs the narrow front rubber for this purpose on the sport package. Stiffer sway bars will also help dial it out, I think Turner sells a kit or the M3 units will help. An LSD won't fix a chassis issue (if you have understeer off the throttle or on the brakes it is still understeer), but it will help rear traction in an on-throttle situation, which may actually make your understeer worse until you break traction and start to rotate the car on the throttle. Also, randomly firming up the springs can reduce understeer but will cause other issues as the sway bar is controlling that during cornering, if you stiffen up the shocks enough to reduce understeer, the sway-bar is no longer doing it's job properly and you will probably have introduced all kinds of other handling issues.
If you think you have issues - try my E93 top down which move the weight bias another 5% to the rear!
what he said.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #14
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
+1
I actually run wider tires up front for my auto-x set, since its more focused on turns. I run 245 front and 225 rear, oversteer nicely. Keep in mind, oversteer is more dangerous if you cant control your rear.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #15
wannabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i e93 6MT

All coupe's have the sport package standard, does this apply to convertibles also?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #16
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Tighten the nut behind the wheel.
      09-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #17
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT - SOLD

If you like your RFT's (most people don't), you could experiment with different tire pressures in the rear. It looks like 32/35 is recommended for 328i coupes without Sports and normal driving. You could try 32/33.

Changing to non-RFT's will change the handling characteristics due to the softer sidewall. You could start there and if you still have too much understeer, lower the pressure in the rear tires a couple of PSI.

But some posts by experts to other threads have said that understeer varies depending on conditions. For example, it varies depending on where you are in a turn. Wet conditions also affect it. So I wouldn't adjust the rears by much because you might get the feel you want under normal conditions but set yourself up for a disastrous oversteer under wet or extreme conditions. BMW engineers spent lots of time trying to find the right balance for all conditions.

if none of that does it for you, you look aftermarket suspension kits like Dinan's Stage 1 or 2.

Last edited by driverman; 09-06-2011 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #18
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
And for an inexpensive quick and dirty fix, try inflating your front tires about 4 psi above the recommended pressure. But be aware that the car will be more sensitive to crosswinds at freeway speeds.

Tom
+1 This will prevent the side wall from rolling and help reduce understeer.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #19
mjollnir19
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i DINAN 3

Garage List
no rft and get wider wheels and tires on the front
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #20
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

how about....scrub speed before the turn and focus on your exit.

There's only so much you can do to reduce understeer since inherent properties of the chassis are very difficult to change. Square tires will do the most. Once an understeering pig, always an understeering pig.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #21
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
All coupe's have the sport package standard, does this apply to convertibles also?
The convertible only comes with the sport suspension if you order the sport (or M-Sport) package. This is one of the reasons the sport package is more expensive on the cabrio than on the coupe.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #22
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
how about....scrub speed before the turn and focus on your exit.

There's only so much you can do to reduce understeer since inherent properties of the chassis are very difficult to change. Square tires will do the most. Once an understeering pig, always an understeering pig.
+1. There is only so much a car can do. If you overcook your entrance will will undoubtedly understeer through the turn. Slow down a bit more and focus on your line through the turn and your exit.
Appreciate 0