E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Adding Pull type paddles to 2011 328 xi

09-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
Question Adding Pull type paddles to 2011 328 xi

I have a lot of questions, and terminology i need to get straight.

I would like to add the pull style paddles to my 2011 328xi E92. my car does not have the sport package. what is the proper name for the pull style paddles? (not the thumb buttons)
"SMG/DCT Shift Paddles"?

the wheel i want is one that is MOST similar to the factory one in my car now. when i search for M tech wheel lots of different ones come up, ones with flat spots and markings at the 12 ock position. i dont want any of those.

This image is one i found on ebay of the one i want to get. when i cross referenced the part number on Tischer it came up as for a 1 series? and had no image on their website. part number 32307839115 <<? and i cant tell if it comes with the right paddles im looking for and if it'll work on my car.

this is the kit i purchased from Burger which will contain the rest of the parts and part numbers i'll need.
http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html

i'll also need to order the control module but i think that will be easy to track down.

the wheel and paddles types are confusing me...

Last edited by B-737; 09-07-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
well ive gotten this cleared up...
E92's already have the "sport wheel". so our airbags and wheel trim will swap with sport wheels that are paddle ready...

The burger kit IS NOT compatible out of the box with the LCI paddles. it can be made to work but requires some re-wiring.

those of us with non sport package cars (no ZSP), we can pick between the M-Tech wheel and the M3 wheel and add the paddles from there.

the M-Tech wheel is like our stock ones but has perforated leather on the sides, the M3 one is identical to our stock ones with smooth leather all around but has the red and blue stitching. I felt like the M3 wheel with the stitching would look really out of place in my car so i went with the M-Tech wheel, part number 32307839115 figured id could live with the perforated leather over the M3 wheel in a non-M car.

the install and compatibility:
Nexon Motors supplies paddle kits that will allow the LCI pull type paddles work with our cars (correct wheel required). they make a change to the LCI paddle wiring and ship them out pre-wired with installation instructions and a harness kit that will make it plug right in. This is different than the Burger Kit, that is set up for the thumb style switches.

Im having the install done locally by AKMotorWorks, because messing with the airbag is not my cup of tea. No coding or additional parts required.
      09-13-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
The installation went off without a hitch on my non-zsp E92!!! im so stoked! the new M-Tech wheel and LCI pull paddles are awesome. the system works in both Drive and Sport mode.

its 3am im exhausted. I took lots of pictures of the install, it took about 5 hours, but prob can be done in much less time. I made some modifications to the instructions i was following mainly in regards to the terminal connections.

I will do a full write up in a new thread tomorrow guys.
Thanks for the support here!
==============
EDIT
all done
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585841

Last edited by B-737; 09-15-2011 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 0