E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Passenger Side Cupholder Broken

09-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
ooobanana
Private
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite e92

Passenger Side Cupholder Broken

So I've searched for a while and found that a lot of people tend to have issues with their passenger side cupholder breaking (?). I went to BMW to get it replaced and was told my warranty does not cover it and was given the option to replace it for $160.00 (labor included). I've tried getting a friend who works at BMW to purchase the parts for me and get it installed myself (~$40.00), but he's now saying that I need more than just the cup-holder (?) Said there's another piece that I also need though I'm not aware of this as the service guy gave me a print out of the exact part that I would need... would anyone happen to know if there's two parts that I would need, or just the cup-holder itself?

I'm debating if I should just purchase what the service guy told me to purchase and disregard my friend's opinion or should I not even bother replacing it since I barely carry any passenger.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
khoda355
Captain
Rep
Drives: EG hatch/ E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooobanana View Post
So I've searched for a while and found that a lot of people tend to have issues with their passenger side cupholder breaking (?). I went to BMW to get it replaced and was told my warranty does not cover it and was given the option to replace it for $160.00 (labor included). I've tried getting a friend who works at BMW to purchase the parts for me and get it installed myself (~$40.00), but he's now saying that I need more than just the cup-holder (?) Said there's another piece that I also need though I'm not aware of this as the service guy gave me a print out of the exact part that I would need... would anyone happen to know if there's two parts that I would need, or just the cup-holder itself?

I'm debating if I should just purchase what the service guy told me to purchase and disregard my friend's opinion or should I not even bother replacing it since I barely carry any passenger.

Same problem here... I was told it was the spring inside... I too would like to know what i need...

Also... I have not changed it and its been broken for a good 6 months.. I make them hold there cup
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #3
ooobanana
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoda355 View Post
Same problem here... I was told it was the spring inside... I too would like to know what i need...

Also... I have not changed it and its been broken for a good 6 months.. I make them hold there cup
The service guy at the dealership told me it was the spring also. According to him I would have to replace the entire cup-holder, but a friend told me I could try and take it to a specialize BMW or european car shop to see if they can just replace the spring for me, just haven't gotten around to doing so. Was hoping someone on here would happen to know of a trick or two to fix it without having to spend so much just for a cup-holder.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
khoda355
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The service guy at the dealership told me it was the spring also. According to him I would have to replace the entire cup-holder, but a friend told me I could try and take it to a specialize BMW or european car shop to see if they can just replace the spring for me, just haven't gotten around to doing so. Was hoping someone on here would happen to know of a trick or two to fix it without having to spend so much just for a cup-holder.
Yeah i have a friend at bmw.. he said just get it and open it up an change it. and your done. take 30 min tops.... I might do it soon just for the hell of it. need to go get the spring...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
ooobanana
Private
Rep

Let me know where you find the springs at. I'm sure someone is bound to use the cup-holder sooner or later when riding shotgun.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #6
khoda355
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Let me know where you find the springs at. I'm sure someone is bound to use the cup-holder sooner or later when riding shotgun.
I make them hold there cup.. lol they always give me Shi* saying bmw... bla bla bla...
Appreciate 0