E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 1st runs w/ a Cobb and a warning light

09-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
VelvetElf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

1st runs w/ a Cobb and a warning light

I installed a my Cobb in my 09 335xi last week. There is no question that car pulls faster. And when I think about the cost of the Cobb in relation to the overall vehicle, it's not as painful. Meaning, if there were an add on BMW offered that would give me x% gain in hp etc., for $800, i'd take it. I will say my overall problem with the Cobb is myself. I was really excited at the increased gains at first, but the more I drive it, i just get "used" to it, and it doesn't seem as fast anymore. I guess it's like anything, you have a huge buildup in anxiety awaiting for something you want, then you get it, and you slowly begin taking it for granted. Anyway...

One thing I noticed is that when I floor it and really drive it hard, there is a little light on the dash that is shaped like a Triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle that flashes on until i let off the gas? Anyone have any idea wtf this little symbol means?
      09-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Hehe, that's traction control preventing wheelspin

I guess you previously never floored your car in stock form in the rain?
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
FedeM
Made in Italy
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Former 135i

Garage List
2007 BMW 135i  [7.40]
LOL.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElf View Post
I installed a my Cobb in my 09 335xi last week. There is no question that car pulls faster. And when I think about the cost of the Cobb in relation to the overall vehicle, it's not as painful. Meaning, if there were an add on BMW offered that would give me x% gain in hp etc., for $800, i'd take it. I will say my overall problem with the Cobb is myself. I was really excited at the increased gains at first, but the more I drive it, i just get "used" to it, and it doesn't seem as fast anymore. I guess it's like anything, you have a huge buildup in anxiety awaiting for something you want, then you get it, and you slowly begin taking it for granted. Anyway...

One thing I noticed is that when I floor it and really drive it hard, there is a little light on the dash that is shaped like a Triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle that flashes on until i let off the gas? Anyone have any idea wtf this little symbol means?
If you have started taking the power for granted, uninstall Cobb and take your car for a drive. That feels slow!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
VelvetElf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Hehe, that's traction control preventing wheelspin

I guess you previously never floored your car in stock form in the rain?

I'm assuming that's just something I have to live with? Or is there some obvious noob setting i'm failing to initiate?
      09-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
I'm assuming that's just something I have to live with? Or is there some obvious noob setting i'm failing to initiate?
Just disable the Traction control ...... but be careful. Try first pushing the DTC button once.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

We are human beings, we get bored with most things fast and then want more more more more.

Addiction ?

Dont feel alienated by this, theres alot of individuals out there that feel the same way...more more more more
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

You can turn off traction control if you like. Pressing the DTC once lets you slide the rear end out a little bit with moderate wheelspin.
Holding it pressed for like 5 seconds disables all electronic nannies and you're back to the 90's again, the car will NOT help you out in any way if needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Same boat

Most of us with mods are in the same boat. I'm almost FBO Cobb and cant keep the wheels from spinning during moderate acceleration. I plan on getting a staggered set of 18" wheels so I have 9.5" of tire on the rear as opposed to the stock 8". Also getting rid of these stupid RFTs. Wider wheels better tires will help I hope. If you're bored of the Cobb already create yourself a list of mods and put them on one by one. Each one will give you noticeable power increase and will keep the car fun to drive. Recommend the following in order especially if you're still under warranty like me.
DCI
FMIC
EXHAUST
DP
METH

CP W/forged DV or BOV are quite a debate on here. Depends on what you like I guess. I went with AP FMIC/CP/BOV since they all were 3" piping, fit together perfectly and I love the whooshing sound of the BOV. Im waiting a little longer for the DP. don't feel like hearing the stealership complaining about my mods yet. Meth will be when my warranty is completely up. Maybe. Don't know if I can wait that long.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

^^^ I can't imagine the wheel spin you must be experiencing running 8" RTFs with a tune!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

spinning like crazy

Yup, not much traction under moderate acceleration. I bought a used set of 18" staggered e46 M3 wheels but didn't do my research first. They didn't fit and i had to sell them, so I'm back to the stock 17x8 wheels.
18" staggered wheels will probably be my next purchase. Don't really want 19" because I don't want to lower the car. Just looking for more traction.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
max
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowSwede View Post
You can turn off traction control if you like. Pressing the DTC once lets you slide the rear end out a little bit with moderate wheelspin.
Holding it pressed for like 5 seconds disables all electronic nannies and you're back to the 90's again, the car will NOT help you out in any way if needed.

You're the driver and doing this you will be driver again....in control of the car.

To the OP - all of this is in the manual.
      09-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

no, you should get an LSD...

Quote:
      09-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
no, you should get an LSD...
Please read the thread. He has an xi.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #15
Bleep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

In stock form it's quite difficult to activate the traction control with AWD. With Cobb it's a bit easier but you'll still hook up fine even with traction control off, it's not like you'll be spinning tires all day.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 335D

I'm pretty sure the only reason the OP is seeing the light is due to cornering with applied throttle with traction and stability control on. My 335xi will rarely bark a tire with a full launch in the rain.
      09-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #17
timtech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

It has been raining in Chicago for the last 24 hours and around 50 degrees.
Tire compound can play a big part in this weather.

Can you explain when you see the flashing triangle?

Are you automatic or manual and what kind of tires are you running?

If automatic, I know you can brake boost in the rain and spin a bit off the line causing the DTC to kick in.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

These cars are very sensitive in regards to traction/stability control (not a bad thing).

Live with the light telling you that you may not have 100% traction on the road or disable DTC when you want to drive spiritedly.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #19
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

I can't floor it from a stop without the traction control shutting everything down in my xi with Cobb stg 1 93 octane.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #20
MicaCeli
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
2000 996 C4  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
2001 B5 S4 Avant  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
I can't floor it from a stop without the traction control shutting everything down in my xi with Cobb stg 1 93 octane.
Get better tires
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #21
MeeTsenPu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iPSI View Post
I'm pretty sure the only reason the OP is seeing the light is due to cornering with applied throttle with traction and stability control on. My 335xi will rarely bark a tire with a full launch in the rain.
Exactly, completely stock with AWD just pulls hard with no spin even in the rain, quite impressive!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #22
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Traction control intervention. OP you have Xi not surprised this is first time you see this. If you had an i even with just stock power it comes on with any moderately aggressive throttle. The fact that you are seeing this in Xi should tell you you have tons of power now. I got a Quaife LSD for my 335i to just handle the FBO tune, and I can still get the light to come on if I go WOT. But the car is missile fast. In fact fast enough that I haven't "gotten used" to it to the point I don't think its fast in over 2yrs. Nowhere to legally use that kind of power around here.