E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 @ the track / cooling

09-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: M4

N55 @ the track / cooling

As I remember many of you were wondering at some point how the n55 handles extensive abuse at the track heat wise. I have to say that last month was the hardest I've ever pushed my car so far. First it got a good beating on Alpine passes in Switzerland and Italy. These were usually done early in the mornings so the lack of any traffic whatsoever allowed me to push as hard as I wanted. The car performed beautifully with no cooling issues at all.

As we know cooling problem at the track was quite common for the N54. At the end of August I took it to the Ring. That's when I thought it might finally disappoint me as this would be by far the toughest track workout the car would have done so far. Needless to say it made me very happy to see that even after 4 consecutive laps (almost 100 km) of pushing the needle barely moved past the 120 C mark!
      09-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
I brought this question up a month or so ago. I also haven't had any issue at the track, despite multiple sessions. The brakes are another story... Fade ftl
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turugara View Post
I brought this question up a month or so ago. I also haven't had any issue at the track, despite multiple sessions. The brakes are another story... Fade ftl
I recently upgraded to cool carbon and replaced the brake lines with SS braided goodridge ones. I haven't experienced any fading since. It isn't a very expensive upgrade but worth every penny
      09-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

what tune you running?
      09-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciomas View Post
I recently upgraded to cool carbon and replaced the brake lines with SS braided goodridge ones. I haven't experienced any fading since. It isn't a very expensive upgrade but worth every penny
more info/specifics on these products?
      09-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

i'll second ciomas -
never went over 250F on 90-100 degree weather.
at the track.

if temps outside hit 100F the engine will drop
even lower - 230F.

the bmw performance kit has me looking at
the upgraded radiator fan.

ciomas jealous u get to go around the ring...
      09-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
htoudiee
HT
Rep
Drives: BMW, AMG

This is great news. I noticed on the ring, the 328i was way past 250 mark on oil temp by the 3rd lap (the 328i was LCI and had M-Sport) which was a bit scary. Have not noticed that on the 335i (N55).
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

highest temp at the track i got was a tick or two over 250
      09-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

good stuff OP!
Are you running a piggy or a flash?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
turugara
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
/Offtopic

Our tracks or driving style must be different. I've got hawk HP , stoptech ss brake lines, and Motul 600 fluid and my brakes are gone after 10 minutes. I need better pads for sure.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 04:04 AM   #11
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
/Offtopic
Our tracks or driving style must be different. I've got hawk HP , stoptech ss brake lines, and Motul 600 fluid and my brakes are gone after 10 minutes. I need better pads for sure.
Cool Carbon ones are definitely very consistent throughout the session. Did you consider the Racing Brake rotors? I was thinking of getting those next but might lean towards an intercooler first

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=racing+brake

From what I hear they are a perfect combo when mated with ss lines and some Cool Carbons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
good stuff OP!
Are you running a piggy or a flash?
no tune yet, power comes lasst for me :P also, need an Intercooler first I spoke to many european tuners and it seems they all have a generic map - most probably the same stuff some of you guys have recently been getting in the states. Not many were willing to work on a custom map - each engine is a little bit different +DP +Intercooler - generic simply isn't good enough ShifTech and Evolve seem to be the most cooperative so Ill probably see one of them once I get an intercooler.
...however I have to admit JB stg 2 with the DP map looks very tempting
      09-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
turugara
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Quote:
Cool Carbon ones are definitely very consistent throughout the session. Did you consider the Racing Brake rotors? I was thinking of getting those next but might lean towards an intercooler first

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=racing+brake

From what I hear they are a perfect combo when mated with ss lines and some Cool Carbons
Yeah I looked into it. Getting RB rotors on all four corners would cost a net of $1,839.88. A Brembo BBK for the front is $3,196.15, which is equivalent to two sets of RB rotors. I might just wear through a few sets of stock rotors and just bite the bullet with a front BBK. I'm probably going to be upgrading to PFC 01's for the track.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 02:15 AM   #13
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 335

I'm selling my stoptech powerslot rotors, haven't gotten around to making a thread for them yet though. I decided to go for a full Brembo BBK

They're BNIB, if any of you are interested let me know!

- Also haven't had any cooling problems with my N55 at the track
      09-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Glad to hear you didn't have any cooling issues. I am taking my N55 to the track in a month, it's my first time so I doubt I will be pushing the car like a veteran would. At any rate, I'll be sure to post what happens to my brakes/cooling.

I've decided not to do any preliminary brake/suspension/drivetrain upgrades until I go and figure out exactly what I think the car needs.
      09-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkadisha View Post
I'm selling my stoptech powerslot rotors, haven't gotten around to making a thread for them yet though. I decided to go for a full Brembo BBK

They're BNIB, if any of you are interested let me know!

- Also haven't had any cooling problems with my N55 at the track
BALLer. pm for the price of those rotors. now you can ditch the yellow stock calipers
      09-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #16
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
BALLer. pm for the price of those rotors. now you can ditch the yellow stock calipers

LOL I always hated people that painted the stock calipers, just wanted to see what yellow looked like

What do you guys think? Yellow or Red Brembos?
      09-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #17
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkadisha View Post
LOL I always hated people that painted the stock calipers, just wanted to see what yellow looked like

What do you guys think? Yellow or Red Brembos?
I think yellow would look amazing but thanagain red to match tails. its a hard choice.
      09-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
I think yellow would look amazing but thanagain red to match tails. its a hard choice.

That't my same argument, I think I'm leaning towards yellow though
      09-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #19
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
As I remember many of you were wondering at some point how the n55 handles extensive abuse at the track heat wise. I have to say that last month was the hardest I've ever pushed my car so far. First it got a good beating on Alpine passes in Switzerland and Italy. These were usually done early in the mornings so the lack of any traffic whatsoever allowed me to push as hard as I wanted. The car performed beautifully with no cooling issues at all.

As we know cooling problem at the track was quite common for the N54. At the end of August I took it to the Ring. That's when I thought it might finally disappoint me as this would be by far the toughest track workout the car would have done so far. Needless to say it made me very happy to see that even after 4 consecutive laps (almost 100 km) of pushing the needle barely moved past the 120 C mark!
N55 powered cars do run a bit cooler when compared to the N54 cars. However, cooling will still be an issue if pushed. On a wide open road with plenty of cool air you will be okay. On a warmer day(80+) on the track, I am certain you will be watching that oil temp guage. If you are not getting your oil hot, you are not driving hard enough.

Quote:
/Offtopic

Do you have Hawk HPS or HP+? If you have the HPS, those aren't meant for the track and you will quickly overheat them. Have a look at Stoptech Street Performance and Porterfield R4S for a sport street pad and Ferodo DS2500 for a dual purpose pad. Hawk HP+ used to be great, but the DS2500 is way better without the noise.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #20
turugara
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Do you have Hawk HPS or HP+? If you have the HPS, those aren't meant for the track and you will quickly overheat them. Have a look at Stoptech Street Performance and Porterfield R4S for a sport street pad and Ferodo DS2500 for a dual purpose pad. Hawk HP+ used to be great, but the DS2500 is way better without the noise.
I have the HPS. I've been looking to keep those for the street and put on Carbotech XP12/XP10 for the track. For a track pad that's rotor friendly, what would you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:09 AM   #21
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
N55 powered cars do run a bit cooler when compared to the N54 cars. However, cooling will still be an issue if pushed. On a wide open road with plenty of cool air you will be okay. On a warmer day(80+) on the track, I am certain you will be watching that oil temp guage. If you are not getting your oil hot, you are not driving hard enough.

Id say the good cooling performance I experienced so far I a sum of various factors. Probably the temperature during my track days played a key role, also bear in mind there is no tune on my car yet. I never asumed I would get away with the stock oil cooler once I start squeezing more power out of the engine.

When it comes to Ferodo, they are very popular in Europe, also on the Rally scene. From my previous experience with them I can only say they are a great choice for the track. Unfortunately loud as fuck as a daily application

Last edited by ciomas; 09-24-2011 at 05:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #22
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

strange thing is that my oil temp actually runs cooler after my ECU flash.
With stock ECU it would run up to 120c just driving in the city. It feels like the engine cools a lot faster now and ive yet to reach 120c.
Appreciate 0