E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Yes again....Xenon

09-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
hksubaru
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

Yes again....Xenon

I'm quite baffled really, my warranty is expired and i don't want to add aftermarket items to the car since the laws are changing next year.

As a responsible drive i wouldn't like to blind other drivers, i've come across a pair of xenon lights of a car that is breaking, it is not the LCI version and my car also isn't the LCI version.

I've done a lot of searching on forums and seen a lot of step by step guides but most of them don't seem to be using the original and have errors either when the car is running or when the car starts.

My car currently have installed factory halogen units.

Looking at most of the guides they all seem to be from the US or other countries and quick learner as i am i really don't want to start ripping my car apart and splicing wires only to find i'm stuck with the lights not working (mainly from reading that when the engine is started the main beams don't work)

Has anyone successfully done the conversion on a UK spec car using XENON's that came from BMW with no errors and would have no problems passing a MOT?

Also i read up sometime ago a thread that included exactly what parts i would need from the donor car as i don't want to purchase a set of the headlamps without getting the other bits needed as i remember something being either from the footwell or passenger side door?

If anyone could help i would be most grateful as i would love this conversion from some experts on here.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

From what I've gathered reading other posters, there is a requirement to have the headlight washer system installed, and also some kind of levelling equipment fitted to the front axle that adjusts the level of the headlights automatically.

It seems like a large job, and you will end up hacking in to the factory wiring at some point, which seems a shame.

Might it be worth holding off and picking a car with this included when you next change?

Here's a link to the DIY xenon upgrade thread (listed in the DIY section) http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28035

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 03:19 AM   #3
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

Agreed with the ^

I looked in to putting in OEM Xenons and it was a scary prospect.

Would be better buying a car with Xenons and adding nearly everything else to make the right spec.

But, dont listen to me, I bought a fucking Mazda 5

lol

J
Appreciate 0