E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Just ordered BMS Stage 2

09-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, F80 M3CS

Talking Just ordered BMS Stage 2

Hey all!

Still relatively new here, collected by car 2 weeks ago, and after reading up on all the different potential mods for my N55 335i, decided to take a jump for the BMS Stage 2.

First of, i would really like to commend Terry from BMS. He made the whole process extremely easy and straightforward. As this is the first piggy back tune that im doing, i had a lot of questions to ask him, and he always replied each and every question with proper details, even providing links for further information.

BTW, to those who thought that the BMS Stage 2 was out of stock, it's available again!

Will update further when the package comes. Looking forward to it.

In case anyone is interested in my mod list:
So far, i have removed the rear two cats (mine is the xDrive), and installed the AFE Stage 2 intake. After the tune, i'm looking to do the AR Catless downpipe!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Bubba Ho-Tep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer35 View Post
Hey all!

Still relatively new here, collected by car 2 weeks ago, and after reading up on all the different potential mods for my N55 335i, decided to take a jump for the BMS Stage 2.

First of, i would really like to commend Terry from BMS. He made the whole process extremely easy and straightforward. As this is the first piggy back tune that im doing, i had a lot of questions to ask him, and he always replied each and every question with proper details, even providing links for further information.

BTW, to those who thought that the BMS Stage 2 was out of stock, it's available again!

Will update further when the package comes. Looking forward to it.

So far, i have removed the rear two cats (mine is the xDrive), and installed the AFE Stage 2 intake. After the tune, i'm looking to do the AR Catless downpipe!

Awesome- I'm going to do the same. This tune will probably be my first mod.

Btw, does the xDrive have more cats than a standard 335i?! I was just going to do the AR Downpipe and call it a day. I didn't know anything about "additional" cats?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450123

Edit: Apparently the N55 does NOT have secondary cats. The xDrive has a set of resonators, which I like. I wanted my Vette to be loud....not my BMW.

Last edited by Bubba Ho-Tep; 09-26-2011 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ho-Tep View Post
Awesome- I'm going to do the same. This tune will probably be my first mod.

Btw, does the xDrive have more cats than a standard 335i?! I was just going to do the AR Downpipe and call it a day. I didn't know anything about "additional" cats?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450123

Edit: Apparently the N55 does NOT have secondary cats. The xDrive has a set of resonators, which I like. I wanted my Vette to be loud....not my BMW.
Yeah, the xDrive has two additional cats, mid way from the downpipe to the rear mufflers. Went to a custom exhaust garage to have them removed. Car sounded ALOT better, and passed inspection as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Yeah the x-drive does have secondary cats on the midpipes. I just had my Vishnu DP installed last week and the shop offered to remove the secondary cats for me. I told them to hold off until I could see how loud it is with the catless DP. It is pretty loud with the new DP but sounds great. I don't think I'm going to do get rid of the secondaries it might be too loud for me
Here's some videos I just posted if you want to check them out. It my car after Vishnu catless DP and JB4 Stage2 installed.
I agree with you on Terry. He is the greatest! Answers every email, fast. Excellent customer service, actually quite amazing that he takes the time. I just ordered my meth kit today, cannot wait for it to arrive!
Catless DP+ JB4 Stage 2 FTMFW! Completely changed my car!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590759

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here

Last edited by j2m; 09-27-2011 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Great list man ... welcome. I have the AR DP, sounds f'in awesome and the turbo spool is wicked. You can hear it in my video:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577652
I haven't heard the AR DP + intake yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
Yeah the x-drive does have secondary cats on the midpipes. I just had my Vishnu DP installed last week and the shop offered to remove the secondary cats for me. I told them to hold off until I could see how loud it is with the catless DP. It is pretty loud with the new DP but sounds great. I don't think I'm going to do get rid of the secondaries it might be too loud for me
Here's some videos I just posted if you want to check them out. It my car after Vishnu catless DP and JB4 Stage2 installed.
I agree with you on Terry. He is the greatest! Answers every email, fast. Excellent customer service, actually quote amazing that he takes the time. I just ordered my meth kit today, cannot wait for it to arrive!

C'mon get rid of those secondary cats you wimp ... it will be louder for sure. Must make loud!! Find those secondary cats and ...

I think the N54 guys were burning out the secondaries w/ a catless DP anyway. Not sure about N55. Something to think about though.
      09-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Great list man ... welcome. I have the AR DP, sounds f'in awesome and the turbo spool is wicked. You can hear it in my video:

C'mon get rid of those secondary cats you wimp ... it will be louder for sure. Must make loud!! Find those secondary cats and ...

I think the N54 guys were burning out the secondaries w/ a catless DP anyway. Not sure about N55. Something to think about though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
I agree with you on Terry. He is the greatest! Answers every email, fast. Excellent customer service, actually quite amazing that he takes the time. I just ordered my meth kit today, cannot wait for it to arrive!

Wow guys, was gonna hold off till sometime next month before i order a set of AR DPs, but now i dont think i can wait that long, your cars sound awesome! Do either of you experience any drone at cruising speeds?

Also wanted to ask if ur aftermarket exhaust like the Dinan and PE Exhaust still use the actuator valve (exhaust flap), or did that get sealed up like the golf tee mod?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Drone is almost always related to the muffler setup (or lack thereof); the DP will make it louder period however only when you step on it. I have no drone in my setup w/ the BMW PE, and you won't have any with the stock exhaust either. Not sure about Dinan, my guess is no.
BMW PE does not have the flap. It just sounds like a beast all the time. FYI BMW PE is just mufflers, the stock exhaust is cut then the PE mufflers are clamped on.
      09-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just got news that my order from BMS is on its way! However i am having the long crank issue as mentioned on the forum, so i just made an appt to have the car sent in on Friday. Hope to install it after that!

Quote:
Drone is almost always related to the muffler setup (or lack thereof); the DP will make it louder period however only when you step on it. I have no drone in my setup w/ the BMW PE, and you won't have any with the stock exhaust either. Not sure about Dinan, my guess is no.
BMW PE does not have the flap. It just sounds like a beast all the time. FYI BMW PE is just mufflers, the stock exhaust is cut then the PE mufflers are clamped on.

Thanks for the info about the exhaust! Im hoping to just do the DP first, and maybe in the future the mufflers. Could i just ask what made you decide on the AR downpipes? There is a promo on now for the iCarbon DPs, and they look sexy as hell. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585225

Can you guys also advice on the estimated hours needed to install the dp? I felt that i got overcharged with my recent AFE intake install which took 1.15hours.

Check out this link of the iCarbon with PE Exhaust!

Last edited by CSM3; 09-27-2011 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: added youtube link
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
DP first is a good idea. I don't have experience with the iCarbon pipe. Car sounds sick in that video but mine seems louder, and also barks more and the turbo whistle is more pronounced too. Could just be the video. Check if that is 3.5" or 4", because the AR is 4" (one of the reasons I went for it).

AR downpipes - besides the fact it's 4" - they are very well manufactured. Check out the welds (courtesy of Alex@Helix):

They are perfect. I held this thing in my hands, you can run a finger over the welds and hardly feel them. Very smooth. That is how they are, not sanded or anything.

Downpipe install: 2-3 hours, so about $200-300. I paid around $220 I think. xDrive might take longer ... PM someone with a similar N55 car and ask. Getting to the DP is apparently difficult since everything is so tight. This is even more the case with an xDrive.

Oh and FYI about the Performance Exhaust - for the E90 it is more than mufflers, it also includes the midpipes I believe. In the E92 there is no need as it already has an x-pipe stock. E92 just needs mufflers. It's more of a true catback with the E90.
Quote:
Thanks for the info about the exhaust! Im hoping to just do the DP first, and maybe in the future the mufflers. Could i just ask what made you decide on the AR downpipes? There is a promo on now for the iCarbon DPs, and they look sexy as hell. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585225

Can you guys also advice on the estimated hours needed to install the dp? I felt that i got overcharged with my recent AFE intake install which took 1.15hours.

Last edited by CJ421; 09-27-2011 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
Malapropism
Book Worm
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Yeah, the xDrive has two additional cats, mid way from the downpipe to the rear mufflers. Went to a custom exhaust garage to have them removed. Car sounded ALOT better, and passed inspection as well.
Do you have a video of what it sounds like without the two additional cats? I'm considering this...

Thanks
      09-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldasicex5 View Post
hmm.. i got no tune but i think im gonna order one.. Mr Mikeeee I know you're reading this....
*Rubs hands together* Excellent ... excellent.

Unleash the powerrrr!

Then you can change this:
Quote:
2011 335xi Coupe, NON-flying edition
To this:
Quote:
2011 335xi Coupe, flying edition
      09-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
DP first is a good idea. I don't have experience with the iCarbon pipe. Car sounds sick in that video but mine seems louder, and also barks more and the turbo whistle is more pronounced too. Could just be the video. Check if that is 3.5" or 4", because the AR is 4" (one of the reasons I went for it).

AR downpipes - besides the fact it's 4" - they are very well manufactured. Check out the welds (courtesy of Alex@Helix):

They are perfect. I held this thing in my hands, you can run a finger over the welds and hardly feel them. Very smooth. That is how they are, not sanded or anything.

Downpipe install: 2-3 hours, so about $200-300. I paid around $220 I think. xDrive might take longer ... PM someone with a similar N55 car and ask. Getting to the DP is apparently difficult since everything is so tight. This is even more the case with an xDrive.

Oh and FYI about the Performance Exhaust - for the E90 it is more than mufflers, it also includes the midpipes I believe. In the E92 there is no need as it already has an x-pipe stock. E92 just needs mufflers. It's more of a true catback with the E90.
Thanks bro, the iCarbon is 4 inch as well, for the price i might just go for it, still waiting back to hear from N54 on their pricing for the AR Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malapropism View Post
Do you have a video of what it sounds like without the two additional cats? I'm considering this...

Thanks
Sure will take a video for you later, and post it ard 8pm? you can check back then!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Just had mine installed on my xi last week. I went with Vishnu and Shiv gave me a PDF with directions and I gave that to the mechanic and he breezed through it in under 2 hours and he was not a BMW mechanic. Just a mechanic at a muffler shop.

Quote:
Do you have a video of what it sounds like without the two additional cats? I'm considering this...Thanks
+1 wanna hear this!!!

Quote:
Wow guys, was gonna hold off till sometime next month before i order a set of AR DPs, but now i dont think i can wait that long, your cars sound awesome! Do either of you experience any drone at cruising speeds?

Also wanted to ask if ur aftermarket exhaust like the Dinan and PE Exhaust still use the actuator valve (exhaust flap), or did that get sealed up like the golf tee mod?
No drone with Dinan and Vishnu DP. It sounds sweet at WOT, but NO drone at cruising speeds. The dinan does not have the exhaust flap, they plug the line and zip tie it up.

Quote:
hmm.. i got no tune but i think im gonna order one.. Mr Mikeeee I know you're reading this....
Do it man, you won't be sorry. I am only sorry I didn't do it sooner. My car was as slow as grass now it's as fast as ASS!

Quote:
i just laughed so loud at home, im pretty sure i scared my neighbors.. obviously u dont know about the "ultimate flying machine" story from 3 years ago in the last bmw hahahahaha i dont want a repeat of that again
REPEAT! wasn't here 3 years ago, need to know

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #14
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
slow as grass, fast as ass.. hmm i like the way that sounds.. neways.. a few years ago the car was worked up, nice and fun, and i decdied to do a launch in the parking garage (0-60).. didnt realize there was a dip in the road and the car went up about 3-4 inches in the air, dropped down, bottomed out (twice), sparked all over.. biggest regret was not getting a video of the car flying in the air off the ground on all wheels.. it felt amazing, but the bang was deafening and scared the SHIt out of me
LMFAO, now that is funny sh*t! ok just bursted into laughter and now everyone is staring at me... awkward...

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
As requested, I really wish i could get you better sound clips, but my cell phone was all i had tonight. Just a teaser i guess.

Exhaust is stock, just had rear two cats (xDrive) removed, and the AFE stage 2 intake did open it up a little. NO golf tee mod.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #16
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
As requested, I really wish i could get you better sound clips, but my cell phone was all i had tonight. Just a teaser i guess.

Exhaust is stock, just had rear two cats (xDrive) removed, and the AFE stage 2 intake did open it up a little. NO golf tee mod.
Holy Shit, that sounds crazy good!
I may have to rip the last to cats out! That is deep, throaty and just pure awesome!

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #17
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
slow as grass, fast as ass.. hmm i like the way that sounds.. neways.. a few years ago the car was worked up, nice and fun, and i decdied to do a launch in the parking garage (0-60).. didnt realize there was a dip in the road and the car went up about 3-4 inches in the air, dropped down, bottomed out (twice), sparked all over.. biggest regret was not getting a video of the car flying in the air off the ground on all wheels.. it felt amazing, but the bang was deafening and scared the SHIt out of me

Man that'd scare the shit out of me as well!!
      09-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #18
Malapropism
Book Worm
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:

Sounds great! I'm thinking of removing these cats as well but I have to find a reputable muffler place first...
      09-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #19
hsleiman
First Lieutenant
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 11 e90 335xi PPK 6MT

Does anyone know if an xi with the secondary cats removed will still pass inspection? Sounds mean as hell with out them!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #20
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds great! I'm thinking of removing these cats as well but I have to find a reputable muffler place first...
go for it! yes its very important that you find a reputable muffler place. the sales rep i bought the car from is very in to modding cars as well, and he actually recommended me the workshop, which he sends his e93 M3 to.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #21
andrew1182
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is M6

nice
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #22
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Your exhaust video got me all excited and i couldnt wait! just bought a set of AR catless downpipes!
Appreciate 0