2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Best way to repair minor scrapes?

10-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Keyinhand
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 528i (sold); F44 M235 GC (

Best way to repair minor scrapes?

It had to happen on a Monday. Was at the Charles De Gaul Airport in Paris and discovered a design flaw in the parking garage entry ways - some jacka$$ designer decided to squeeze 5 entry gates into a place that should probably have 3, and they are at a near 90 angle to when you come off the ramp - and this is after you weave/bob the departure hall traffic (which like most airports is 2~3 lanes of really bad drivers - as you have to get past that before getting into the proper parking garage.

Anyway - as I was making my turn into the entry way, i made slight contact at about 1 MPH with the side of the concrete barrier - and now my pristine ride has some parking garage rash on the lower left lip, next to the fog light. I knew the first sratch was going to come at some point, but i'm mad at myself for getting thru that zoo of traffic only to leave with a self-inflected wound.

What's the best way to repair this? I'm going to ask the dealer, but i'm preparing to curl up into the fetal position now just to get ready.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Well it depends on how bad/deep it is - a photo would help. Personally, if it's the lower-front bumper I'd say get some touch-up paint and cover it up. Bumpers will get scratches. They are also plastic which typically means dealers will want to respray the whole thing which is gonna be expensive - a popular dealer in Brussels wanted to charge me close to 1000 EUR for a respray ;-) I don't think they do spot repair on plastic (spot repair is quite cheaper). Anyway, see what quote a dealer would give you, but unless it's horrid a touch-up will save you some cash until it gets so bad due to scrapes/stone chips that a respray would be needed. if you need to / decide to go for a respray any good bodyshop can help out for far less in terms of $$$ as the process is basically sanding, priming, respraying. Not all bodyshop will be able to colour-match the paint though...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

The only correct way to repair the bumper will involve removing the bumper, sanding the scrape smooth, repainting the repaired area, then reapplying clear to the entire bumper. I just had this done to my 528i. The cost was $675 USD.
Appreciate 0