E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > most reliable meth kit

10-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

most reliable meth kit

Ok before I get flamed, i have just spent the last hour looking over past posts on different meth kits and pouring through Vishnu and Burger websites and I am all Fcuked up.

Firstly am I right to assume all the kits today are PWM (not 100% i really know what that means but apparently its good)

The tank in the trunk option sounds good but the hassle of wires and pipes sound too much for me so i am thinking of the WW tank. but there seems to be a hugh difference in price for ww kits and i have no idea why can someone enlighten me?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
Ok before I get flamed, i have just spent the last hour looking over past posts on different meth kits and pouring through Vishnu and Burger websites and I am all Fcuked up.

Firstly am I right to assume all the kits today are PWM (not 100% i really know what that means but apparently its good)

The tank in the trunk option sounds good but the hassle of wires and pipes sound too much for me so i am thinking of the WW tank. but there seems to be a hugh difference in price for ww kits and i have no idea why can someone enlighten me?
Most kits today are not PWM. They may send a pwm signal to a pump or a solenoid but the result is either on or off due to hardware limitations/nonlinearities. The only true PWM metered meth system is from Aquamist by virtue of their Fast Acting valve which offers a true dynamic range ranging from 10 to 85%. In such systems, you run a constant meth pressure and drive the pump at a fixed speed. This is is the hardware we use for our PWM meth kit.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 03:05 AM   #3
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Thanks, that was the impression I got from your website.

Are your aquamist injectors compatible with the meth bungs on the er charge pipe? And sorry if this is rude but will your system work with the jb4?

Last edited by pcockley; 10-06-2011 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 03:35 AM   #4
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
If you need a reliable PWM kit that works with the JB4 look into Aquamist HFS-3. Vishnu uses the Aquamist hardware but the advantage of the HFS-3 is that it comes with its own controller so you can use it with any tune, including JB4. And it cost the same or less as the Vishnu-branded kit, which does not include the controller.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
max
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 2011 335is

I'm planning to go with this kit:

http://howertonengineering.com/produ...ection-system/

Jeff is finalizing testing of the N54 version of this kit this week or next and then I will order one. Some slightly old news of this here:
http://howertonengineering.com/2011/06/n54-testing/

One of our members here, Syndicategt, has worked with Jeff and has the HFS-3 system installed and working with the help of Jeff. Read about it here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428747

Good luck with whatever kit you choose.
      10-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Yup....that's the same hardware used in the Vishnu kit except for the controller.

The procede takes over the function of controlling the meth spray and duration.....plus switching over to a performance map only when meth flow is present with a built in failsafe to switch back to a safer map if meth should stop flowing for some reason.

They are both about the same price.....but it's nice to have a tuner adjust the meth flow to work with their tune - especially if you are new to it.

Some folks prefer the DIY approach to dial in the meth, but having access to a dyno and other measurement tools is difficult for others.

So in some sense you are left to relying on your butt dyno and a dragstrip to figure out what meth settings are working or not.

That was the attraction for me with the Vishnu kit.

It uses the Aquamist hardware and it's bascially plug and play. Shiv is doing a lot of R&D to get the meth spray to integrate with both his tune and also the stock fuelling system.

You have to remember that you are introducing a secondary fuel source into the system, so it has to integrate to work well with what's already there.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Most kits today are not PWM. They may send a pwm signal to a pump or a solenoid but the result is either on or off due to hardware limitations/nonlinearities. The only true PWM metered meth system is from Aquamist by virtue of their Fast Acting valve which offers a true dynamic range ranging from 10 to 85%. In such systems, you run a constant meth pressure and drive the pump at a fixed speed. This is is the hardware we use for our PWM meth kit.
This interests me - Pulse Width Modulation is a way to digitally control analog equipment that has inertia, like a pump or solenoid, with max power efficiency and great accuracy. We might think of it as time slicing power.

But how's it done? If the pump is PWM controlled, a feedback signal's needed. Seems like constant fluid pressure's required rather than constant speed. What is the controlling signal?

Is the solenoid able to act as a metering valve or is the open/close freq varied w/flow sensor control? Open position controlled or very frequent on/off cycling.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 10-06-2011 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0