BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
texone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black Baron 1M

Route Suggestions Wanted - S.C. to TX

I'm picking up my 1M at the Performance Center in Greer SC early next month and driving back to Dallas. I want a more interesting road trip than just Interstate the whole way. Suggestions on the best state roads, side trips and places that are more or less in the right direction going from SC to TX? Thanks guys - its all about the road trip!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
swimfreak
Orange Crush
Rep
Drives: fun!!!

I'm doing the same trip next week. I have a time constraint, so I won't be taking the most scenic/adventurous route, but I highly suggest taking the trip from PCD through the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville, NC. Awesome road, lots of turns, and much to see.

Congrats, and have fun!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

My recommendation is to head into North Carolina to hit the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway, which will take you into eastern TN. Did the same in 2008 and had a blast.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post
My recommendation is to head into North Carolina to hit the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway, which will take you into eastern TN. Did the same in 2008 and had a blast.
That is exactly what I did on my PCD, just about any route in that area of Deals Gap (US129) is good. Highway 28 is another very good road. You can pick it up west of PCD and take it all the way to Deals Gap. From Telico Plains, TN where the Cherohala Skyway ends take why 68 south for some good driving. Both 28 and 68 are good fast and twisty roads.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
texone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black Baron 1M

Good roads

Thanks all for the suggestions. I've had fun with Google Maps plotting different routes through the Appalachian/Great Smoky Mountain area. Can't wait to get the 1M next week
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
whatever you do, stay out of georgia....worst cops and speed traps on the planet
Appreciate 0