BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
BlitzM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

Porsche 911 owners: anyone own or driven a 1M?

Looking for comparisons from 911 owners who have driven a 1M?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

I have a 993 as well and a GT3 on the way and have driven more than my fair share of Porkers in between...

The easiest way to describe my - subjective - impressions is that the 911 is quite a precise and delicate instrument which you have to learn to drive and will take a long long time to fully understand and exploit. Like a swan of sorts!

The 1M on the other hand is more like a bulldog which you can just jump in and wrestle around! The chassis balance means that it is often far more forgiving and predictable. The car tends to be a bit skittish on high speed corners, which is not the best feeling.

Ultimately they are both amazing cars and it's a privilege to own either. Their merits and reward would depend entirely on the application. A GT3 is always going to be the better track car, the 1M always the better daily.

Just my thoughts.
      10-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
BlitzM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
I have a 993 as well and a GT3 on the way and have driven more than my fair share of Porkers in between...

The easiest way to describe my - subjective - impressions is that the 911 is quite a precise and delicate instrument which you have to learn to drive and will take a long long time to fully understand and exploit. Like a swan of sorts!

The 1M on the other hand is more like a bulldog which you can just jump in and wrestle around! The chassis balance means that it is often far more forgiving and predictable. The car tends to be a bit skittish on high speed corners, which is not the best feeling.

Ultimately they are both amazing cars and it's a privilege to own either. Their merits and reward would depend entirely on the application. A GT3 is always going to be the better track car, the 1M always the better daily.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback. You and I have similar tastes. I have owned a 993 for 13 years with many track days included and can push that car very hard to the point that it seems too tame for me on the track. I find the 993 to be very forgiving and easy to drive now. I do love that car though, it's precision, road feel and sound is hard to beat. But the kids are growing and complaining about the room in back, hence I have a 1M on the way to give them a little more room but still be fun for me. The 1M skittishness in high speed corners poses a challenge to my driving skills similar to when you get your first 911, scary moments can occur. My dream is to use the 1M as a daily, with some track days to learn the car, and get a GT3 for track fun and club racing.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanna1M View Post
Thanks for the feedback. You and I have similar tastes. I have owned a 993 for 13 years with many track days included and can push that car very hard to the point that it seems too tame for me on the track. I find the 993 to be very forgiving and easy to drive now. I do love that car though, it's precision, road feel and sound is hard to beat. But the kids are growing and complaining about the room in back, hence I have a 1M on the way to give them a little more room but still be fun for me. The 1M skittishness in high speed corners poses a challenge to my driving skills similar to when you get your first 911, scary moments can occur. My dream is to use the 1M as a daily, with some track days to learn the car, and get a GT3 for track fun and club racing.
GT3 & 1M would be an ideal combo I think. The 993 is still one of the prettiest cars ever and is such an amazing performance all-rounder - I hear you on back seats though!
      10-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
Mid Life
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 carrera s, AW 1M

Quote:
Looking for comparisons from 911 owners who have driven a 1M?
Hi Iwanna1M, I recently sold my 997 Carrera S with sports exhaust and sport shift, to get into a 1M for similar reasons, wanted a car that was more of a daily driver.

I must say I was a little disappointed at first with the 1M, but it is a bit unfair to expect $100k car (price here in Australia ) to be as good as a car that was built from the ground up as a sports car by one the worlds best sports car manufacturers, costing over double the price ($250K here).

I certainly miss the sense of occassion you got every time you drove the Porsche, even if you were just ambling to shops, you knew you were driving something special and the 1M can't match that. It may be just as quick to 100ks or even quicker around your chosen track, but doesn't come close to the instant throttle reponse you get from one of the best NA engines ever built nor does it make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up as you approach 8000revs or reward you with pin sharp steering.

No, in my personal opinion the 1M, as good as it is, is not the drivers car the Porsche is, but as I said its unfair to expect to be. What it can do, is go to the shops, sit in traffic, park in shopping centre car parks and not attract attention from every Yobo who thinks your a tosser for driving a Porsche yet still gives you the pleasure of driving a very capable car with a full size boot and 2 back seats.

I give credit to BMW for producing a great little car, I love it for what it offers me, which is the best compromise of two vehicles that suits my needs. If I wanted a pure drivers car I would probably buy a caterham and if I wanted a commuter/tourer I would probably get a Range Rover or X5 again, but I just wanted one car and the 1M is about as perfect as it gets...for the moment
      10-16-2011, 01:51 AM   #6
LuuZ
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Hi there, can't talk about compare the two cars yet as I will get the 1M on December, I'm invited next 25th October in a BMW center here in Belgium for a 1hour test with it. My Carrera 4 is a great daily car, mainly when the weather is bad. Own a 911 was a dream comin true for me, I chose the 1M for the compromise between daily use (90%) and some track days.
      10-16-2011, 06:11 AM   #7
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I have owned a GT3 997 MK2

Very very good car but.

If you want to enjoy a GT3 you must go the track. The car has so much grip and if you want to find out the limit. It s a no go area for the road. A GT3 is a very limited car in use.

Also keep in mind if you need new parts for your porsche you pay 4 times the price of most other brands like bmw etc. If you damage you're car on track it wil be very very costly.

an other thing i find it negative is the attention this car has. People staring at you. Point a finger and you hear them say look there is an other guy who has his midlife crisis to early.

I am very happy i have owned a GT3 and did track days with it. Did some drifts with it. It s a great car. One of the best drivers car if you get used to the engine in the back.

I found that the GT3 has lots of understeer and lift off oversteer when driven hard.

1M is much more accessible. You don t stand out of the crowd. It s mega fun to drive it sideways. And with some tweaks you can make a very very nice fun track car out of it.

I have as much fun with my tweaked 1M as with the GT3 on track the costs are a lot lower. Like the balance of the 1M more.

The engine of the GT3 is a piece of art though.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
iDave
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Pack

Owned a 997 Cs , enjoyed the car but not as practical as the 1m

1m is as quick and probably more fun !
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
BlitzM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I have owned a GT3 997 MK2

Very very good car but.

If you want to enjoy a GT3 you must go the track. The car has so much grip and if you want to find out the limit. It s a no go area for the road. A GT3 is a very limited car in use.

Also keep in mind if you need new parts for your porsche you pay 4 times the price of most other brands like bmw etc. If you damage you're car on track it wil be very very costly.

an other thing i find it negative is the attention this car has. People staring at you. Point a finger and you hear them say look there is an other guy who has his midlife crisis to early.

I am very happy i have owned a GT3 and did track days with it. Did some drifts with it. It s a great car. One of the best drivers car if you get used to the engine in the back.

I found that the GT3 has lots of understeer and lift off oversteer when driven hard.

1M is much more accessible. You don t stand out of the crowd. It s mega fun to drive it sideways. And with some tweaks you can make a very very nice fun track car out of it.

I have as much fun with my tweaked 1M as with the GT3 on track the costs are a lot lower. Like the balance of the 1M more.

The engine of the GT3 is a piece of art though.
Wow, you gave up a GT3 for a 1M. That says a lot. My dream setup would be a GT3 for the track and the 1M as a daily driver but it will be a while b4 I get that GT3 so the 1M will have to do everything for now. I enjoy following your posts and look forward to hearing about suspension upgrades on your track car. The only thing that concerns me with the 1M is learning how to drive it in high speed corners which is part of the challenge. I remember learning the 911 years ago and keeping your foot in the throttle in a high speed corner was scary at first but second nature now. Any thoughts on the 1M handling in high speed corners? Your video on the Ring comes to mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
...Any thoughts on the 1M handling in high speed corners? Your video on the Ring comes to mind.
Yes(!) Advevo, I never tire of your videos. Lets see the 1M in action!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
1Mcoupé
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Morgan 3whlr (2012) & 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuuZ View Post
Hi there, can't talk about compare the two cars yet as I will get the 1M on December, I'm invited next 25th October in a BMW center here in Belgium for a 1hour test with it. My Carrera 4 is a great daily car, mainly when the weather is bad. Own a 911 was a dream comin true for me, I chose the 1M for the compromise between daily use (90%) and some track days.
same here
997mkII C4 + 1M

most obvious 997 lacques torque in comparison
      10-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
RizOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I have a 996 gt3, 997 carrera, 997.2 gt3 rs, 997 turbo s. The 1m is really not in the league of any of them. It may be as involving or quick as the Carrera but can't compare at all to the gt3 or rs. The 1m is actually more involving and fun than the turbo s with pdk. The 1m chassis is excellent, very exploitable in the right hands. The 996 gt3 demands the most attention, but when you get it right is the most rewarding. The rs 3.8 is at another level if you can drive the 996 gt3 well. It is really unfair to compare the 1m to the porsches. The 1m is a major positive step in the M cars. It is more usable as a daily car with some track use. The Porsche gt cars are harder to learn to drive. I have my Carrera just so I can drive the gt cars semi adequately. The turbo S is more about effortless speed, it is too easy to get into triple digits. The pdk and awd take some of the involvement out for me as a driver. My 4.0 rs is on the way, so I'm really a Porsche guy but I really like my 1m.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

I'd like to have a 1M as a DD, though I haven't found one. I personally wouldn't consider it as a track car,and I'd limit it to DD and the occasional autocross, maybe SCCA A stock if it's competitive. I agree that the quicker 911s are a whole different ballgame. BTW a 996 GT3 is positively a pussycat compared some of the other models such as a quick early car, but then that's half the fun.

Much envy of that 4.0 RS.
      10-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
LuuZ
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1560 View Post
same here
997mkII C4 + 1M

most obvious 997 lacques torque in comparison
Yeah, I guess the On/Off kickin'ass power is impressive with all that torque much more than the 375Nm of the 997.....
      10-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I drove an RS 4.0 on a track 2 days ago.

The most incredible was the engine. 500hp 6 cil atmo is out of this world. Most of it feels the same as a 997 GT3. The balance of the car is not any different then a normal GT3. If you're a porsche guy it s nice to own a 4.0 because it s a special edition. And the engine is worth the price alone.

I have been walking around years with the idea to owning a GT3. Last year the day had come to buy one.

I have enjoyed it very much. It s was for me something you have to fill in. Lots guys told me it s a very difficult car to drive on the limit. So for me it was even more a challenge. But after i drove it fast on track and slide it everywhere. I already knew the car for me is not difficult at all. I found the balance of the car quite boring. Not the engine.

The car has more the balance of a front wheel drive car. If you lift off mid corner you get oversteer. You can not balance the car on the throttle mid corner. If you do that you will get more or less understeer. In a bmw M you can balance the rear end of the car for me that s far more satisfying. In a porsche you balance the front end with throttle more or less understeer.

For me a car with engine front and rear wheel drive with LSD is my favorite.

15 Nov. I am back at the ring i hope i can make more movies then.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 04:17 AM   #16
KIYO
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

I owned a 996 GT3 mk2 Club Sports for about 60000 km. They are completely different car so that I can not compare.

Traveling with the GT3, only a small bag could be carried. Also, I could not carry tires for the track so that I have to use the tire which I need to go home. So that was not practical.
I changed the exhaust to a straight exhaust from Kreissieg so it was hard to communicate inside the car.
http://kreissieg.ocnk.net/

It had no electrical device other than the ABS so I felt more direct. It was a NA car so in the higher RPM, it had more power and nice sound.

But I had smile on my face each time I drive the GT3.
In the high speed over 200 km/h, the car felt more stable. I feel the acceleration after I reach 300 km/h. It was a masterpiece of engineering.

The 1M has a big boot that can carry golf bags. It has four seats.
The engine is a turbo engine so I spent some time to grasp the power out put characteristics of the engine. I have noticed that the engine needs some time to produce power.
I have done 17000km with my 1M.
It is not so stable over 220 km/h even it can reach that speed easily.
But I have that smile on my face with my 1M every time I drive it.

So, all in all, 1M has all the utility plus the power and the handling. GT3 was amazing but not a car for the practical use.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #17
1Mcoupé
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Morgan 3whlr (2012) & 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post

15 Nov. I am back at the ring i hope i can make more movies then.
graag een ritje in de passagiers-stoel
      10-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy a 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIYO View Post

So, all in all, 1M has all the utility plus the power and the handling. GT3 was amazing but not a car for the practical use.
fully agree with Kiyo.

I had a 996 GT3 which was sublime, fantastic drivers car but certainly not something you'd just jump in on a whim. The 1M is incredibly more usable.

I'm lucky to have a 993 c4s at home which I just can't bring myself to sell. It doesn't feel like a sports any more (not as fast, sharp as more recent cars) but I still love driving it, a very different experience to the 1M.

I've had a couple of 996s and a 997.1 C2S as well as a Cayman-S for a while. They're great cars but I genuinely enjoy the 1M more to drive. Now, the one thing the porsches do very well is the sports exhaust. The 1M's note is nice but not as rorty (spelling?) as the porsches. Wish BMW had put the switchable akra system on from factory.... I'm lusting after it!!

I have also lost respect for modern day porsches. The 993 was a brilliant machine, felt as though it was designed and built exclusively by engineers.
The 997, despite being a great car, feels more inspired by accountants and I cannot forgive them for abusing owners by not admitting the inherent problems that have caused so many engine failures in the Gen1 engines.

By contrast, the build quality of the performance bmw's I've had has always been fantastic. Sure the 911 may handle better and is quicker (in turbo guise at least). But there is something about the 1M that is special. Like the 993 and the e46 CSL are special, and in a way that a mainstream 911 (GTx car's excluded) just doesn't compete with. Just a personal view.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
BlitzM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramanga View Post
I'm lucky to have a 993 c4s at home which I just can't bring myself to sell. It doesn't feel like a sports any more (not as fast, sharp as more recent cars) but I still love driving it, a very different experience to the 1M.
Can you elaborate more on the different experience. I am selling my 993 C2 I've had for 13 years to get the 1M. It is not an easy decision, main reason is I need more room in back seats. I am hoping the 1M is special enough to not regret selling the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #20
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

If you want your car for standing out the crowd just keep the Porsche or buy a new one. If you are used to it, you will be disappointed with the 1M .

If it's dd fun that you are after you can't be wrong with the 1M.

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 10-17-2011 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #21
BlitzM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
If you want your car for standing out the crowd just keep the Porsche or buy a new one. If you are used to it, you will be disappointed with the 1M .

I don't buy cars to stand out anywhere and new 911's don't appeal to me. Why would I be disappointed with a 1M?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #22
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post

Do you OWN a 1M?
Appreciate 0