E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 + DCT + LC + 1/4 Mile Strip =

10-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Vtec Abuser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

N55 + DCT + LC + 1/4 Mile Strip =

FAIL!!!!!

Right guys, wondered if you can help?
I took my 2011 135i DCT to our local FIA approved 1/4 mile strip yesterday to give the old girl a few runs.
I have ran at this strip for many years and have run many cars there in that time ( bit of an addict ). This strip is seen as the most accurate (although not always the quickest) 1/4 mile strip in the country, mainly due to it hosting Top Fuel events and European championships (FIA approved). So what most people use as a marker.. http://www.santapod.co.uk/
Anyway I had previously tried running my 1er at a organised 0-60 / 1/4 mile event which was set up on an old airfield (just for fun). The surface was by no means smooth and no matter how many times I tried to launch the 1er with LC, the car would leave the line fine but then the stability control would through a fit and cut all the power in first After being confused for a good while, I put it down to the electronics not liking the surface and as soon as it hit a bump under load, the stability would call it a day.
You can here the power being cut just after the car leaves the line on this vid and also see the black lines of tarmac that caused the problem..

Now with LC not being available when stability control is switched off, this then left you with a tick over launch mixed with a bit of lag. In other words, a waste of time if you're after a good 1/4 mile time. So I gave up...
I was then able to strap a V-Box to the car after this event and on a smooth surface to see what the car would actually do under normal circumstances. Data came back with :-
0-60mph = 4.5
0-100mph = 9.9

So I knew the car had potential..

Anyway, after this disappointment I thought no worries, as with Santa Pod being a proper drag strip the electronics would not spoil the party there and all would be fine. So yesterday I headed there with my new non-runflat rubber fitted and see what the car can do.. Guess what? Same problem again This strip is pretty smooth with only a few minor imperfections on the start line. But no matter how many times I tried, the stability light just flashed on every run and cut power in 1st AGAIN!!! I was getting a bit of axle tramp on each run, so not sure whether that had anything to do with it?
Basically I was left with the option of going home very early or doing a few runs with stability off and launching from tick over revs This was the outcome (best run), but just check out the 60ft time

Temp was between 15oC - 17.5oC (60-62oF) and the car has a Stage 1 flash but otherwise bone stock, bar the change to non-runflats.
I was hoping to take the 1er to a few 1/4 events over the next couple of years, but unless there is a solution to this there is just no point. Now with me being a bit of a 1/4 mile fan, I would find this fairly gutting to be honest. The real odd thing about it all is that on the road the LC works fine!!!, So i'm a bit

So guys, am I screwed? Or is there another solution to get this bloody thing to launch on anything other than a glass-like, flat surface?
I know there is plenty of you that have managed to run their car with LC on the 1/4 mile, so what am I doing wrong?
Sorry for the long rant/post. Just a bit disappointed with this set up tbh
My last car (Mk5 Golf GTI) had the DSG box and the LC on that was 100x better as it also allowed you to launch at what revs you wanted under the default 3k+, which was very handy with it being modded and 2wd.

Thanks in advance..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

do you have any mods?
      10-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Vtec Abuser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes mate, just Stage 1 software/flash. Other than that and the non-runflats, she is bone stock..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
SLCGoonski
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Estoril MSport Wagon

No experience...but I believe a lot of guys with 6ATs launch in 2nd gear. Not sure about DCTs.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Vtec Abuser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCGoonski View Post
No experience...but I believe a lot of guys with 6ATs launch in 2nd gear. Not sure about DCTs.
Auto/Tiptronic cars are great for the 1/4 mile as they can brake boost when staging. Something the DCT box won't allow you to do unfortunately..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec Abuser View Post
Auto/Tiptronic cars are great for the 1/4 mile as they can brake boost when staging. Something the DCT box won't allow you to do unfortunately..
I have a 6mt so I'm not too familiar with the DCT, but don't you have the option of launch control?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Vtec Abuser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes mate, but that's what I have been having the problems with (mentioned in first post)..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec Abuser View Post
Yes mate, but that's what I have been having the problems with (mentioned in first post)..

My bad, didn't realize LC = launch control.

Well, clearly this is the solution.
http://m.gizmodo.com/5850170/liquid-chalk-spiderman-grip-minus-the-teenage-superhero-angst
Appreciate 0