BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

1m Ed 10-19-2011

Finally took delivery of my 1M today at the Welt. An absolutely amazing experience. Also had a chance to visit the M studio, very special experience getting to do that and meet the team. Drove to Rothenburg this afternoon, then off to Stuttgart tomorrow and the Ring on Saturday.
The car, I am speechless. I came from a 135, and loved that car, I had worried that the 1M would not be different enough, I forgot about that in a nano second after firing it up for the first time. Had a chance to hit the autobahn this afternoon, and ya WOW! I\'ll post some pics soon, but you all know what a VO 1M looks like so...

TJ
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Congrats! Post your pics when you find the time. I never tire of looking at peoples ED pics(and I live over here!).
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
benimin
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
i can't put into words how desperately jealous i am of your experience! can't wait to see the pics
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok figured it out, I only brought an iPad and iphone, and didn't test this out before I left.

Thanks for the recommendation to visit the factory dealership David, it was really cool.

TJ
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm129 View Post

Thanks for the recommendation to visit the factory dealership David, it was really cool.

TJ
Cool, I knew you would love it! I forgot to tell you they have free WiFi in there and really good expresso/coffee bar. Enoy your ED.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

Congratulations ! u r lucky. my dealer did,nt want to do ED EVEN i offered hime for u.s. m.s.r.p.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Congrats!! I wish I had the time for ED, maybe for the next car.... I'm still amazed by the 0000 odometer, how is that possible?? Or do they re-set it?

Anyway best of luck with the new ride!
      10-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
bmwmck
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Beater

beauty! enjoy the trip
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #10
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
The car, I am speechless. I came from a 135, and loved that car, I had worried that the 1M would not be different enough, I forgot about that in a nano second after firing it up for the first time. Had a chance to hit the autobahn this afternoon, and ya WOW! I\'ll post some pics soon, but you all know what a VO 1M looks like so...

TJ
I have to agree 100% here. I had the same reservations and I felt it as soon as I fired it up as well.

Congrats, enjoy and drive safe... those wagons come like speeding trains on the autobahn (2-3 at a time)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #11
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Too funny, we were laughing at that as well. If we got passed by 1 Audi wagon yesterday we got passed by a hundred.

Got some interesting info on my M studio tour yesterday.
1) they said that there are only 600 units for the USA. Sorry for anyone who was not able to get one, but super cool for anyone who did.
2) I was talking about the BMW performance cf spoiler, and they advised against it for aerodynamic reasons. Said that at 140kph it will add as much as 40kg of additional downforce to the rear of the car, which would lift the front end significantly.
3) They wanted to do a cf roof, but had to abandon it for cost reasons and timing. Also mentioned how difficult it was to mass produce it for the M3.
4) They wanted to use the hood from the Active E, and lobbied hard for it but ultimately it was a no go since they wanted to maintain a distinct brand image for the Active E. He did say that that is the one mod he would do to the car, we all had a good laugh over that one.

Some of this info has been posted before, but I thought it was neat since I herd it in person...
TJ
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #12
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Too funny, we were laughing at that as well. If we got passed by 1 Audi wagon yesterday we got passed by a hundred.

Some of this info has been posted before, but I thought it was neat since I herd it in person...
TJ

Did you hear anything about them wanting to have wider/more flared fenders? I read that on here somewhere and wonder how much truth there is to it?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #13
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:

Got some interesting info on my M studio tour yesterday.
1) they said that there are only 600 units for the USA. Sorry for anyone who was not able to get one, but super cool for anyone who did.
2) I was talking about the BMW performance cf spoiler, and they advised against it for aerodynamic reasons. Said that at 140kph it will add as much as 40kg of additional downforce to the rear of the car, which would lift the front end significantly.
3) They wanted to do a cf roof, but had to abandon it for cost reasons and timing. Also mentioned how difficult it was to mass produce it for the M3.
4) They wanted to use the hood from the Active E, and lobbied hard for it but ultimately it was a no go since they wanted to maintain a distinct brand image for the Active E. He did say that that is the one mod he would do to the car, we all had a good laugh over that one.

TJ
who of the staff did you speak to?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #14
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Did you hear anything about them wanting to have wider/more flared fenders? I read that on here somewhere and wonder how much truth there is to it?
That could have been my post, it was mentioned in a similar visit to M studio on the 7th of October by engineer Juergen Schwenker. Still in EU at the moment, post will follow. They wanted to have the front side vents functional and larger than their current shape.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #15
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here is a dumb question, what octane gas should I be choosing to buy in Germany? I topped up with Shell vpower 100 yesterday, and noticed the lowest grade was 95. Can I run 95? For some reason I didn't think that the octane ratings in Europe were the same as North America. At home I know we need to run premieum which is usually 91 or 93.

TJ
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #16
SNOOPY11
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Coupe

The 1M loves shell 100okt! You might be slightly disappointed if you have to fuel up with anything else. There is a noticeable difference, so enjoy it while easily accessible!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:38 AM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Here is a dumb question, what octane gas should I be choosing to buy in Germany? I topped up with Shell vpower 100 yesterday, and noticed the lowest grade was 95. Can I run 95? For some reason I didn't think that the octane ratings in Europe were the same as North America. At home I know we need to run premieum which is usually 91 or 93.

TJ
Germany has three grades of gas: E10 Super(95 octane), Super (95 octane, it has 5% ethanol, or E05) and SuperPlus (98 octane and NO ethanol).

BMW says to use at least Super (E05, the middle grade). I would use SuperPlus! SuperPlus is better for the motor and power.

What ever you do... DO NOT use any E10 Super! Even though it has the same octane as super, it will eat the fuel lines and within three months the fuel goes bad. BMW says IF you use it to change the oil more frequently too. Even the Germans are boycotting it! lol Only dumb Ami's on base are buying it.

IF you go to Shell they have V-Power that is 100 octane and contains no ethanol. ARAL (those blue gas stations)also has Ultimate102, which is even better at 102 octane! I sometimes use ARAL's 102 - you can feel a difference with the engine's torque.

That is interesting what you the M guy told you at the Studio. Was he that intern or a real engineer? Scott26 is the one who said the reason why M did not use the ActiveE's hood was because it impacted the aerodynamics negatively. I never heard anything before about the CF spoiler. Its approved to be used on a 135i and also the M3... so I don't see it adding THAT much downforce. ???

Dackel

Last edited by Dackelone; 10-20-2011 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #18
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

congrats!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 02:43 AM   #19
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks Dackel, as usual you are a wealth of information!

I don't remember the name of who I QA talking to at M, I was a little excited with all that was going on. I believe he was the director of design at M, seems like his specialty was aerodynamics. He did a lot of the work on the M3. I have emailed my contact to refresh my memory on names.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 03:00 AM   #20
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Germany has three grades of gas: E10 Super(95 octane), Super (95 octane, it has 5% ethanol, or E05) and SuperPlus (98 octane and NO ethanol).

BMW says to use at least Super (E05, the middle grade). I would use SuperPlus! SuperPlus is better for the motor and power.

What ever you do... DO NOT use any E10 Super! Even though it has the same octane as super, it will eat the fuel lines and within three months the fuel goes bad. BMW says IF you use it to change the oil more frequently too. Even the Germans are boycotting it! lol Only dumb Ami's on base are buying it.

IF you go to Shell they have V-Power that is 100 octane and contains no ethanol. ARAL (those blue gas stations)also has Ultimate102, which is even better at 102 octane! I sometimes use ARAL's 102 - you can feel a difference with the engine's torque.

That is interesting what you the M guy told you at the Studio. Was he that intern or a real engineer? Scott26 is the one who said the reason why M did not use the ActiveE's hood was because it impacted the aerodynamics negatively. I never heard anything before about the CF spoiler. Its approved to be used on a 135i and also the M3... so I don't see it adding THAT much downforce. ???

Dackel
The gas cap sticker does mention that E10 is allowed for the 1///M. This is of course regardless of whether it is the best choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 03:12 AM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
The gas cap sticker does mention that E10 is allowed for the 1///M. This is of course regardless of whether it is the best choice.
BMW AG has flipped flopped on using E10. First they said no. Then I think the Bundes(German goverment) put some pressure on them... so they said sure you could use it. BUT... not to go with long oil change intervals(OCI) 25K kms or two years(over here!), and no garranty from BMW that nothing will break(in the fuel system). IF something does go wrong with your car... neither the car maker nor the gasoline brand will pay for any repairs. So... no German in his right mind will buy this E10 gas! They all buy SuperPlus-98.

Add to that... that they made the middle grade Super the SAME price as SuperPlus. E10 Super is only five or six euro cents cheaper then those two grade. So most Germans just pump SuperPlus. Because it has NO ethanol and costs the same as the middle grade Super. Plus you can go a little bit further on a tank of SuperPlus than with E10 or E05. The whole E10 thing has been a total failure over here.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #22
mikeedler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
BMW AG has flipped flopped on using E10. First they said no. Then I think the Bundes(German goverment) put some pressure on them... so they said sure you could use it. BUT... not to go with long oil change intervals(OCI) 25K kms or two years(over here!), and no garranty from BMW that nothing will break(in the fuel system). IF something does go wrong with your car... neither the car maker nor the gasoline brand will pay for any repairs. So... no German in his right mind will buy this E10 gas! They all buy SuperPlus-98.

Add to that... that they made the middle grade Super the SAME price as SuperPlus. E10 Super is only five or six euro cents cheaper then those two grade. So most Germans just pump SuperPlus. Because it has NO ethanol and costs the same as the middle grade Super. Plus you can go a little bit further on a tank of SuperPlus than with E10 or E05. The whole E10 thing has been a total failure over here.

Dack

actually, nothing in this complete statement is true, nothing at all.

BMW approves the E10 in all vehicles that do not require 98 octane.

There has NEVER been anything said as to the changing of the service intervals to our dealership.

We fill all of our demo cars with E10.

No proof has been put out there that it has hurt a single BMW car yet, I have only read about problems with the FORD Mondeo fuel pump seals so far.

The price of E10, super, and and super plus are all different. I for one as well as every other mechanic at my work fill up with E10. at 95-110 dollars a tank, the 8-10 dollar difference per tank is big.

I don't even want to get into the discussion of better fuel economy with super plus-- not even worth talking about the 1 km. more per tank that will cost you 10 dollars.

I do agree though, there are alot of people that are against E10, but they are also the people that don't realize that they have been filling their car with E5(5%) for years and it never did any harm.
Appreciate 0