BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Ultimate driving machine/Ultimate attention getter!

So today is the first day I drive it to work, and parked it where I typically park my car.

A few hours later this lady that parks a few spots over comes running to show me the pictures she had taken of my car and to inquire if it was indeed my car, since it was on my typical spot.

Driving around I\'ve already seen heads literally hanging outside car windows staring...not gonna lie, I love the attention, but I think that\'s a little too much!

But more importantly I love the attention it\'s getting from me...I can\'t stop looking at it and I keep peeking into my garage when I\'m home, just to look at it. I\'ve also noticed I lost the desire to sleep at night and just want to drive around
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
inluvwithastripper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

+1. Since Tuesday, I get out of bed every morning like a kid on Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
So today is the first day I drive it to work, and parked it where I typically park my car.

A few hours later this lady that parks a few spots over comes running to show me the pictures she had taken of my car and to inquire if it was indeed my car, since it was on my typical spot.

Driving around I\'ve already seen heads literally hanging outside car windows staring...not gonna lie, I love the attention, but I think that\'s a little too much!

But more importantly I love the attention it\'s getting from me...I can\'t stop looking at it and I keep peeking into my garage when I\'m home, just to look at it. I\'ve also noticed I lost the desire to sleep at night and just want to drive around
Like you, I have my "favorite" parking spot and can't wait the final six weeks until I take delivery of mine. Have seen NONE around Atlanta at all!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
rusty racer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB, 2011 R8 v10 spy

For a fairly inexpensive "exotic" it is impressive the looks and attention it gets. Guess cause it has so much hype and just not many of them out there.

At euro Fest in SC last weekend we had people around our 1Ms frequently taking pics and checking them out inspite of being in the parking lot while a real high end car show was going on. Just draws people to it, think the orange helps too.

J
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

LOL, I've seen many camera phones held up at stop lights. I did see another one in Alpharetta a couple of weeks ago. It was AW.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Ha. The first thing I do in the morning is go and open the garage door, so I can look at the back end.

I haven't got an enormous amount of attention on the streets, but I live in a small, rural town, and the nearest city (Regina, SK), doesn't seem to be full of BMW enthusiasts.

CM
      10-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by inluvwithastripper View Post
+1. Since Tuesday, I get out of bed every morning like a kid on Christmas.
You finally took delivery? Good job getting your hands on one!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

VO must have something to do w/ the attention. I've had my AW for almost a week so far, but don't seem to get gawkers. Which is just fine for me, the less attention from looks allows me that much more 'driving style leeway'.

Car dudes at work however know what's up. Second day in the office a guy I've known for years comes up to me asks if the 1M is mine, then admits he had two e30 M3's and misses them dearly.... cool cars bring people together.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Same here. As Prince sings: "U got the look".

Cool feature: the first half minute rumble during a cold start in a closed parking lot with low ceiling + rear towards the wall (to have maximum sound reflection). Push the start button when a woman passes just in front of the 1M and watch her reaction when the bulldog unexpectedly starts barking at her. Too bad the rumble dies down after 30 secs.

If you don't have your 1M yet, here's what I mean:

Last edited by Artemis; 10-20-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
RPMjunkie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Got 1)

I've had my AW 1M since Monday and have had about 5 strangers come up and compliment me on it. 2 of these people actually knew what it was and mentioned it was the only one they've seen around the Seattle area. Even the big boss at work sent me an e-mail stating his admiration for the car and congratulating me.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #11
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Funny you post this. I have noticed the same thing, its amazing how many people notice the car. Even non car people. On my delivery when taking pics, I started to photograph people photographing my car. It became kind of funny to see them, just walk up and take pics. These are two of my favorites.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Lol love it! I just got back from a trip to the dealer to pick up complimentary M-orange stitched mats, and it's like time stops right then and there...everyone had something to do with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrin View Post
Funny you post this. I have noticed the same thing, its amazing how many people notice the car. Even non car people. On my delivery when taking pics, I started to photograph people photographing my car. It became kind of funny to see them, just walk up and take pics. These are two of my favorites.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
nebby
SoCal 1M
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Audi A8L

Drove to Pelican Hill resort and the valet comments.... "I am not worthy to park this car"... to which I respond... "that's funny, I was gonna say that my car isn't worthy of the spot I want you to park my car"... and then he kindly parks it right up front, best spot in the resort and it sat amongst Bentleys, Ferraris and Aston Martins. Then later that night, I pull into a restaurant and same thing... valet comments that he will park it right up front... moved a Ferrari to give it the premium spot.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

1. On my 950-mile drive home from CT to GA, a guy in an older 318 or something (no badging) hollered at me while I was getting my ticket at the NJ Turnpike, "Hey is that the 1?? He gave me the thumbs up as he pulled away from me at the booth.

2. The day after I got home, I was driving on our local main road and a guy with New Jersey plates (driving a Lexus SUV) pulls up to me, rolls down his window, hollers across his wife sitting in the passenger seat, "Awesome car man!" and gives me the thumbs-up. I gave him the "#1" forefinger in return.

3. Drove to the grocery store a couple of days ago. As I came out and walked over to the car, the lady collecting grocery carts had stopped and was walking around the car. She said, "Is this yours? I've never seen one of these looking so..." and she gave me the flex move like Hulk Hogan." LOL that was awesome.

I've only driven it 3 times since I got it home 2 weeks ago due to travel, so that's a pretty amazing representation of the attention it gets! Mine is BSM. Loving this car!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978.530i View Post
3. Drove to the grocery store a couple of days ago. As I came out and walked over to the car, the lady collecting grocery carts had stopped and was walking around the car. She said, "Is this yours? I've never seen one of these looking so..." and she gave me the flex move like Hulk Hogan." LOL that was awesome.
Haha, feel the animal inside: the 1M as Alpha Male pocket-rocket appealing to the basic instincts.

Hm, on a Darwinian second thought, now I realize why my wife was not particularly amused when I told her I had ordered a VO 1M a couple of months ago ...and why my daughter loves it to bits.

Name:  AlphaMale.jpeg
Views: 4306
Size:  17.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #16
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMjunkie View Post
I've had my AW 1M since Monday and have had about 5 strangers come up and compliment me on it. 2 of these people actually knew what it was and mentioned it was the only one they've seen around the Seattle area. Even the big boss at work sent me an e-mail stating his admiration for the car and congratulating me.
Congratulations on finally getting it. I'll keep my eyes open for you. Still waiting on mine looks like it is just completing production and should be here mid December. Love to see it sometime. Yours is the second one out of Bellevue?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

funny thread

I expect folks posting all sorts of cool stories.

Not 3 miles after I left the Welt during ED pickup, driving down the freeway leaving munich. A car pulls up beside me, 20-something kid leans out the (moving) car and points to his camera. As if to ask "can I take a picture?" I nod "yeah" and give the thumbs up.

I had the car maybe 10 minutes when that happened. Awesome!

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Pictures don't do this car justice in any color!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #19
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

So when do we get the extensive review and comparison to your previous cars?
      10-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm making mental notes to compare the 1M to my modd'ed 99 e36 M3. Gathering notes for a worthwhile post. And then of course need to find time to pull it together....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #21
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

you bought an orange bimmer

that's not seen all day long
      10-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #22
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Funny this thread popped up today. I just went to lunch and in the parking lot a guy is on the phone. He see's me pull in and just stops talking. I get out and he (with the phone still stuck to his head) stops me to tell me "That's my favorite car!".

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0