BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

Smile Moo's Performance Center Delivery experience (with pics)

The day started with some hot laps with instructor Donnie Isley!

At the end of the hot laps session, we've worn down some clutch, brakes, fuel, and tires

Then we went to wet laps, doing 360 spins around the track...

Afterward, we had a round of instructor-driven M5 lightning laps: speeding, drifting, rotations, etc. No pics because it was not possible to hold a camera steady during this hooligan run!

We then went on to the long factory tour (1+ hour). The robots were amazing! Sorry no cameras were allowed.

Then, we came back for X5 off-road experience.

Zentrum museum was next!

007's Z3

Z8

Z1

Z4 Alpina

The hood = door

Some old motorcycles

M-Power racing engine

Z4M

Art Car

3.0 CSL

Taking delivery of my 1M... thanks Donnie!

Prep for the drive home.

Last shot at the Zentrum

Home, safe and sound! The bugs-covered painter's tape removed easily without leaving any residues... and back to a beautiful factory shine!

Conclusion: you simply must do PCD if it's ever an option for you!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
ethanh8791
Supreme Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: crazy

Garage List
2007 VW GTI  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
man with those track photos you've got me excited for PCD. I've never driven a car on any kind of track before....looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Nice job with the painters tape....might ask for some advice on technique: looks like you did majority of long strips horizontal.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Great shots man i bet it was a blast ! i had fun !
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

Moo,

Looks great with the tape on, nice blue color, you should have kept it wrapped, really good job

Can't wait for my PCD... a week left...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanh8791 View Post
man with those track photos you've got me excited for PCD. I've never driven a car on any kind of track before....looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Nice job with the painters tape....might ask for some advice on technique: looks like you did majority of long strips horizontal.
Yes, I taped the hood stripes horizontal. You can also see I put a couple of vertical stripes along the side creases of the hood.

Get the widest Scotch Blue 3M painter's tape you can; my roll was 3" wide x 60 yards from Home Depot. It took about 0.5 hour to apply, one single roll with leftover to spare. Donnie was able to find me a covered car port, so I didn't have to do it under the sun!

The tape held up remarkably well during the 500-mile trip, with some light rain, lots of squishy bugs, and construction zones. No need to reapply during the drive home. My maximum speed was probably around 85 MPH.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Moo, that is awesome. I've been going back and forth on taping for my drive home.

When actually putting on, was it one long strip across the hood or several strips? Did you layer much or was it a single layer all over. Sorry, for all the questions. Don't really have much experience with taping a car. I might be over complicating it. I mean it's like taping off a wall for painting right?

It was cool they let you tape it under cover. Did you ask about that? Would they be amenable to letting one stay on the premises to appease our OCD?
      10-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Nice pics & writeup Moo.

BMW should start selling B&W swirly painters tape! That would give us that "test car" look for the drive home from PCD.

PS: with the painter tape... what would happen IF you needed to open your hood?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Mooooaaarvelous!
      10-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Yes, I taped the hood stripes horizontal. You can also see I put a couple of vertical stripes along the side creases of the hood.

Get the widest Scotch Blue 3M painter's tape you can; my roll was 3" wide x 60 yards from Home Depot. It took about 0.5 hour to apply, one single roll with leftover to spare. Donnie was able to find me a covered car port, so I didn't have to do it under the sun!

The tape held up remarkably well during the 500-mile trip, with some light rain, lots of squishy bugs, and construction zones. No need to reapply during the drive home. My maximum speed was probably around 85 MPH.

Hope that helps!
30 minutes.....good to know. I know the trakktape would take longer to apply as you can't just rip-n-stick. It needs to be cut, which would slow you down. It is thicker though. I thinking I'm going the blue tape route or even the green. The covered car port is good to know, as well.

I'm also thinking of bringing some diluted ONR and a good MF towel to wipe down the surface before I tape.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Too much tape
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeremi View Post
Moo, that is awesome. I've been going back and forth on taping for my drive home.

When actually putting on, was it one long strip across the hood or several strips? Did you layer much or was it a single layer all over. Sorry, for all the questions. Don't really have much experience with taping a car. I might be over complicating it. I mean it's like taping off a wall for painting right?

It was cool they let you tape it under cover. Did you ask about that? Would they be amenable to letting one stay on the premises to appease our OCD?
I overlapped the horizontal stripes a tiny bit, so it's really just a single layer. I started at the middle of the hood and worked toward the front of the car.

I just asked my delivery associate (who was also the driving instructor) for a covered spot for taping - he got me a car port right on the other side of the main frontdesk, same building. Everyone there was really nice and courteous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Nice pics & writeup Moo.

BMW should start selling B&W swirly painters tape! That would give us that "test car" look for the drive home from PCD.

PS: with the painter tape... what would happen IF you needed to open your hood?
Yea I've always wondered about having a swirly tape/decal imagine the kind of confusion you'll cause if you show up at a car meet!

I don't really see the need to open the hood on your way home. But if you did for whatever reason, you can probably use a plastic knife and cut along the hood crease. Then re-tape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
Mooooaaarvelous!
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
30 minutes.....good to know. I know the trakktape would take longer to apply as you can't just rip-n-stick. It needs to be cut, which would slow you down. It is thicker though. I thinking I'm going the blue tape route or even the green. The covered car port is good to know, as well.

I'm also thinking of bringing some diluted ONR and a good MF towel to wipe down the surface before I tape.
It's about 30 minutes if you use the 3" tape and work briskly. It'll take you longer if you use a skinnier roll... size does matter

ONR/MF: they prepped the car nicely at delivery, no dust etc. However, a microfiber towel may not be a bad idea if you are paranoid about the tape not sticking. I didn't to a "final wipe" but the tape worked fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Too much tape
I'd error on the side of too much tape vs. the flying bugs of the Carolina states
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

I have a 1000+ miles trip home, so I'm considering this, but...
Did anyone make any comments to you about this taping process?
Taping is fairly common at the track, but did any non-enthusiast give you funny looks like thinking you have OCD?
Is this a common thing to do at PDC or were you the first one?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:

Hope that helps!

Since your so dissatisfied with nearly every aspect of the 1M, how much are you selling it for?

Anyone hear Cow Bells???
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
I have a 1000+ miles trip home, so I'm considering this, but...
Did anyone make any comments to you about this taping process?
Taping is fairly common at the track, but did any non-enthusiast give you funny looks like thinking you have OCD?
Is this a common thing to do at PDC or were you the first one?
Nah, I think they're used to people wanting to tape up new cars for the trip home. People do this all the time at PCD with Trak-tape, painter's tape, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
Since your so dissatisfied with nearly every aspect of the 1M, how much are you selling it for?

Anyone hear Cow Bells???
You have the wrong perception. I love the car. There are just certain things I'd like to see remedied/changed.

Meanwhile, the cowbell issue is real for M3 owners
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490597
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #15
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Nah, I think they're used to people wanting to tape up new cars for the trip home. People do this all the time at PCD with Trak-tape, painter's tape, etc.
Is that what you think or they actually told you that you're not the first one to tape?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #16
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Is that what you think or they actually told you that you're not the first one to tape?
I just asked the delivery associate for a shaded area, so I can apply tape protection to the car. He said, "Sure, painter's tape, right?"

If you search "painter's tape" in this forum, you'll get a handful of threads where people have done this.

Have fun on the long drive home!
Appreciate 0