BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
kjmez
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Help. To Nav or not to Nav. That is my question.

So, week 49 production for my 1M. Means i can still play with the config., colour, everything. I\'ve had a courtesy 1 series for last month. Dealer sold it, so today I swapped for 3 series with Sat Nav and all the buttons that come with. I was sure I didn\'t want to spend 2k(pounds, is that the right price), but after 10 mins playing, I\'m questioning my decision.

Background - I\'m an IT guy and love gadgets, but can\'t (or at least couldn\'t) justify 2k on stuff in the car. I don\'t drive to work and will prob do 6k in miles per year.

I rarely, if ever, need Sat Nav. and planned to put iPod doc under the arm rest. What does 2k give me? Not that convinced by the resell argument. By the time I sell, I suspect the tech will be dated.

Hmmmm. I\'m sure this has been debated before, but wondered if anyone can convince me one way or the other!?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

If you're a techie and love gadgets (as you mention), you will regret not getting BMW Apps capability. Don't know about UK, but in the US you need Nav to get Apps.

I'm guessing that you have either an iOS or Android device? BMW Apps are about to explode next year.

You heard it right here folks.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Last edited by b33g33; 10-22-2011 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
i just picked up my BSM 1M yesterday...i was also debating between getting the sat/nav or not and there were no 1Ms near me that I could go look at and decide. I decided to go ahead with the sat/nav....ppl have been debating this issue and some people say the sat/nav screen seemed liked an After thought and was just placed there and is distracting to the driver...and when looking at pics of the car interior, you can see validity in that statement...HOWEVER...after picking up my baby yesterday, I kept noticing that, not only is the sat/nav NOT distracting at all, but it adds a certain class to the interior. Without it, the interior seems really plain to me for a 50k dollar car...some ppl prefer this simplicity bc its a drivers car not meant for luxury but I feel like sat/nav is a basic necessity in the 21st century, not a luxury...pictures do not do justice to this car, inside or outside...I am realllly glad I went with the sat/nav and i know now that i would have regretted not getting it...if anything, its a great screen to be able to look at when scrolling through music, radio stations as opposed to the little tiny feild of view you have to work with, without the screen...I suggest you go for it, it is deff worth it!!! specially if you are a tech guy...and you can always just turn the screen off when its distracting you or you dont want to use it...i did that yesterday and the screen just blended into the dash as if it wasn't there...it is not at alll distracting....

it also depends on what you will be using the car for...if its your weekend ride and you have another DD and can live without the screen, I would say save the extra 2k....but if this 1M will be your daily driver...i seriously suggest you go ahead with the sat/nav...the improvements in the i-drive are also great and it isnt as glitchy and annoying as it was a couple years ago....ALSO THE HK STEREO IS AMAZING!!!

Last edited by torquedemon; 10-22-2011 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Oh man, here we go again . This has been discussed at length multiple times and brings out some serious passion.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
kjmez
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Got to love passion. No?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmez View Post
Got to love passion. No?
Absolutely .
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
So, week 49 production for my 1M. Means i can still play with the config., colour, everything. I\'ve had a courtesy 1 series for last month. Dealer sold it, so today I swapped for 3 series with Sat Nav and all the buttons that come with. I was sure I didn\'t want to spend 2k(pounds, is that the right price), but after 10 mins playing, I\'m questioning my decision.

Background - I\'m an IT guy and love gadgets, but can\'t (or at least couldn\'t) justify 2k on stuff in the car. I don\'t drive to work and will prob do 6k in miles per year.

I rarely, if ever, need Sat Nav. and planned to put iPod doc under the arm rest. What does 2k give me? Not that convinced by the resell argument. By the time I sell, I suspect the tech will be dated.

Hmmmm. I\'m sure this has been debated before, but wondered if anyone can convince me one way or the other!?
I wondered the same thing before I ordered my 135i earlier this year (not getting your 1M through Sytner HW are you by any chance?) and ended up going the whole nine yards and ordering the Nav + HK audio + Bluetooth.

I would say though that in your situation, no Nav and the USB is probably all you need. If you don't use Nav and it's not a daily drive, there's no real reason for it.
I still keep thinking I should have saved the 2k as I only use Nav occasionally.
      10-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
kjmez
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Sytner Maidenhead - though I moved to Bfield a few weeks ago, so prob should have gone to HW. I guess I only plan to do 1 long trip per month and will be concentrating on corners and listening the the roar at all other times. Still, I have the Nav in the courtesy car, so will see how I feel in a couple of weeks.

Anyone know how many weeks before production I can make this final decision? Maybe I'm just cheap.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Damn I know where this is going....but if I must make a recommendation, I'm a computer engineer and absolutely love gadgets, went with the NAV (which also includes iDrive integration) and man this thing is wicked!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Sytner Maidenhead - though I moved to Bfield a few weeks ago, so prob should have gone to HW. I guess I only plan to do 1 long trip per month and will be concentrating on corners and listening the the roar at all other times. Still, I have the Nav in the courtesy car, so will see how I feel in a couple of weeks.

Anyone know how many weeks before production I can make this final decision? Maybe I'm just cheap.
To nav or not to nav that is the question !

Answer is simple i loaded my car up with everything, i even cancelled my first 1M to get the internet option which became available after my car was on the production line. You have until the car is confirmed for production toi make your last minute changes, this is usually about 2 weeks before your build week.
Seriously just get all the tech you can as the updates to BMW apps should be cool over time.
Remember after all that you are one of 450
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Can the Nav screen be read with Polarized sunglasses?
      10-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Can the Nav screen be read with Polarized sunglasses?
Yes.
      10-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
biggles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3/1M (ordered)

After lots of thought I went for it and glad I did. I don't need nav but didn't want to lose the screen/idrive functions. I personally think that the (already fairly basic cabin) looks a whole lot poorer without it.

Also bear in mind the big price drop with the recently introduced "media package"! Made it a no-brainer for me after that announcement.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

I ordered mine without it. I use the satnav between the ears. Most of the time I know where I am going, so I decided not to get it. I personally like the dash without it, but to each his own, and different strokes for different blokes!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
u2silly
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: X5/1M/F80M3

Long story short I got my allocation from someone else after the production date so have no chance of adding sat navi and this is probably the only thing I don't like abt the car.

Without the screen, the interior is just so dated. I had Bluetooth and plug my iPod nano into aux but it is just too complicate to operate without the screen (had iDrive in my x5 so I know). Searching for songs and phone # are just so much easier to do with the iDrive knob.

Having said that, if u look at the interior of the new F20 1s and F30 3s, u can totally tell our screens are after thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #16
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I was ardently against NAV and any packages that would add weight. Lo' and behold a fully-loaded VO dropped in my lap and I'm luvin' it. Comfort access is a dream. Dialing up calls using the iDrive is easier and SAFER. All in all, I'm not finding any downsides.

To reduce distraction, I even programmed short cut button to turn OFF the screen. Handy when ready to charge into action.
Attached Images

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #17
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2silly View Post
Without the screen, the interior is just so dated.
exactly. without nav it looks like my old 2003 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #18
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
I was ardently against NAV and any packages that would add weight. Lo' and behold a fully-loaded VO dropped in my lap and I'm luvin' it. Comfort access is a dream. Dialing up calls using the iDrive is easier and SAFER. All in all, I'm not finding any downsides.

To reduce distraction, I even programmed short cut button to turn OFF the screen. Handy when ready to charge into action.
I'm exactly the opposite; I wanted a loaded car and ended up getting a stripper and I'm not missing the nav at all. Never had one before, so it's not a big deal to me. Saved over $5K too, so I got that going for me...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #19
AM1N
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

get nav....all i have to say, get it!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #20
biggles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3/1M (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post

I must be honest I've never understood the wanting a "stripper" to save weight argument. Firstly does anyone actually have any idea what different options weigh, and even if it does weigh 7kg/15Ibs i doubt even an experienced racing driver could tell the difference when giving it the beans round a track, never mind a normal joe public out on the road!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 04:30 AM   #21
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
I must be honest I've never understood the wanting a "stripper" to save weight argument. Firstly does anyone actually have any idea what different options weigh, and even if it does weigh 7kg/15Ibs i doubt even an experienced racing driver could tell the difference when giving it the beans round a track, never mind a normal joe public out on the road!
I agree.

If you were talking about saving several hundred kilo's then I could understand it, or the car was being bought as a weekend track day toy only (like a E46 CSL) but I'd be surprised if the difference between a no-option 1M and a fully loaded one is much more than 50kg.... if that much, and on a road car that would be virtually undetectable.
      10-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #22
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post

sorry... this is a ridiculous statement.... Whether or not the driver can "FEEL" the weight... it is there. Many of us DO compete with our vehicles... whether it be now or in the future. If one is autocrossing or doing time Trials which are both competitive sports where trophies/prizes/tires/awards may be available ... then indeed... hauling extra weight around the course.... even a mere 7kg is NOT desired. On my E30 M3... I removed the spare tire from the trunk to save weight each event.... It only takes a few minutes to drop almost 50 lbs by removing a 15x7 stock wheel that's a 16lb wheel and a 28-30 lb street tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
I agree.

If you were talking about saving several hundred kilo's then I could understand it, or the car was being bought as a weekend track day toy only (like a E46 CSL) but I'd be surprised if the difference between a no-option 1M and a fully loaded one is much more than 50kg.... if that much, and on a road car that would be virtually undetectable.
I don't fill my FUEL TANK up all the way when I autocross... Why would I haul an extra 7-10 gallons of fuel (at roughly 6 lbs per gallon) around the course? Same with the options.... Even if I am just zipping around the track on a trackday.... why I would I want the extra weight? Whether or not one can FEEL it... it's THERE... and slowing the car down.

Now then... clearly you both value the creature comforts... and that's fine..... and certainly this is an individual decision based on what one is doing with their vehicle.... but don't attempt to say that 50kg (wow.. 110 lbs....that's the weight of a smokin' hot chick.... or a 12-14 year old child for you parents...) can't be felt by an intermediate driver...

Hopefully now you have a better understanding...

On a personal level... I don't need Nav on a daily basis... or even weekly.. I generally am familiar with the city I live in. When I need assistance... my iphone 4 works just fine, and the mapquest app dictates directions to me. Heck.. iphone 4s owners can ask SIRI to map the route for them..... No idrive button needed because only one button push is needed to get directions!! For those who haven't seen this......it's going to make NAV devices in cars seem outdated... 5 years from now... people will wonder why you would push buttons to get directions when you can just ask your NAV device/iphone to find the route for you!

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 10-23-2011 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0