BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

HALP! Advice needed for cleaning and waxing

What are your favorite and/or respected products for cleaning, sealing, waxing and detailing? My BSM 1M will be garaged and covered but it's not climate controlled and is somewhat exposed to salt air. I'm realizing I know nothing about new car paint care. Any advice will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Acidblast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1 Series M Coupé

i only use Zaino. its a multistage wax process. definitively worth the hard work once you see the results
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Used Zaino for a bit, now using Gloss-it products.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
orange flash
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Zaino for my VO looks great. Mucho compliments
about color and sheen.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Your best bet is to ask these questions under the detailing section, as you'll get alot more inputs. With that being said, here is a pretty good run down. Everybody has their own method to the madness, but here's most of mine. Yeah, I'm friggin OCD.

-Wash
Make sure you use the 2-bucket method and grit guards for the wash. Use a good wash mitt for washing and a good Waffle Weave towel for drying. Blot, don't rub. Try to sheet the water as best as you can off the surface. There are many cool water sheeting vids on youtube. Meguiars gold class wash is good and available over the counter. I'm using CG Maxi-suds or Honeydew Snow Foam in my foam gun first to loose the dirt. ONR is good for rinseless washes and as a detailer/clay bar lube. If striping wax, you'll want to use something stronger.

-Clay/Polish/Seal/Wax
Clay Magic clay bars are the best in the industry. If you clay, then you'll want to polish after. Some will say you don't need to clay a new car, but that's BS. There's a ton of shit accumulated on your paint that IS NOT visble with the human eye. You always want to start with a clean and pure surface. For polishing, I'm using the Meguiars M105/M205 combo. I'm also upgrading to either the Flex 3401 or the Griots 6" DA buffer. For sealant, I'm either going opti-coat or opti-seal. Opti-coat is permanent. Detailing is a labor of love for me, so I may stick with the opti-seal. As a wax topper, I'm leaning toward Collinite 845. As a part-time vehicle and mostly garaged, I will only seal/wax every six months and clay/polish annually.

- Wheels
Sonax or P21 will do great on the wheels. Either opti-coat or opti-seal can be used on the wheels to minimize dust build and shorten cleaning. Just make sure you clay the wheels first and lightly hand polish first. Tire dressing will vary depending on your preference for gloss.

-Interior
Interior, I'm using Lexol for the leather and 1ZEinszett cockpit cleaner for the other areas. I'll top the dash and other non-leather areas with 303. The 303 will also provide good protection for exterior trim surfaces.

-Micro Fiber
Make sure you get some really good micro fiber towels for the paint work.....the cheapo Sams Club/Costco ones are good for interior and glass ONLY. Autogeek has a BOGO every once in a while on the $6 cobra towels....so 2 for 1. They sell detergents specifically for cleaning MF towels to make them last. Also, don't use fabric softeners when drying MF towels. After you've cleaned them, keep them stored and separated by purpose in a ziploc bag.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Awesome, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 03:21 AM   #7
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
i love detailing cars and have tried many products throughout the years

upon recommendation from forum member chrisbuer i bought swissvax/swizöl products for my bsm

the swizöl concorso wax i bought is easily the best stuff i have ever used

extreme deep gloss and outstanding water beading effects - never had such a shiny, deep reflecting, glass-like surface before (hd video coming up sometime once editing is finished)

also their leather care products are awesome - after cleaning and conditioning the leather - be sure to try the leather gaze sealant on steering wheel, shift knob, side bolsters any exposed areas - very good protection

the quality convinced me - i am not going to buy anything else from now

thats for products - technique-wise i would agree with mikewills post above

enjoy your cars

Last edited by evolution80; 10-23-2011 at 03:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 03:37 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I love dodo juice. . Plenty of threads in the detailing section.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I really like: Menzerna Power Lock Sealant

It leaves the paint silky smooth and protects it a very long time(water beads forever). I love this stuff!

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Menze...-oz_p_323.html
Appreciate 0