10-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
What's the magic temp for planting power?

For those of you in a climate that have owned your 1M long enough to experience warm and cool ambient temps, at what temperature do you notice a big drop off in your ability to effectively plant the power of your car? I've been driving my car in low 60 degree temps since getting her back from ED (a small miracle here this time of year), not what I would consider substantial enough to significantly alter the effectiveness of 3 season rubber (i.e. 40s). Unfortunately, I can't get her to plant aggressive throttle inputs in 1st or 2nd without squirreling around and heavy traction intervention, even in MDM (not talking WOT here). So...what is the magic #?
      10-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
YVES1M
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m aw (kwv3) meisterschaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu View Post
For those of you in a climate that have owned your 1M long enough to experience warm and cool ambient temps, at what temperature do you notice a big drop off in your ability to effectively plant the power of your car? I've been driving my car in low 60 degree temps since getting her back from ED (a small miracle here this time of year), not what I would consider substantial enough to significantly alter the effectiveness of 3 season rubber (i.e. 40s). Unfortunately, I can't get her to plant aggressive throttle inputs in 1st or 2nd without squirreling around and heavy traction intervention, even in MDM (not talking WOT here). So...what is the magic #?
Cold temp for high speed, warm for 0 to 100 for warm tires..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

It's more about tire temps then ambient temps. The stock tires are great for street driving but big torque will quickly put them over the limits.
      10-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

Street tire setup to put power down is going to require toe in it the rear. I would start at about 1/4 inch total toe in. The down side is you are going decrease the life of the tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
It's more about tire temps then ambient temps. The stock tires are great for street driving but big torque will quickly put them over the limits.
Fully agree at these temps (ambient temperature eventually plays a significant role), I would say this is in the context of generating as warm tire temps as normal street driving facilitates. I suppose I could turn off electronic assist altogether and do a few burnouts