BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
alphagamma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 WRX, 2011 1-series M

Steering noises

Do people get noises from their steering wheel? I come from a WRX, so maybe I just need to get use to the new vibrations and noises. However, when I turn my steering wheel while stationary (engine is running), I can hear two distinct noises, tire rubbing from the tire and ground contact, and this faint moan/whine close to the lock of the steering wheel. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I don't recall hearing any noise, but I did have a slight vibration at certain highway speeds. Nothing too serious.

By the way, I was the other guy picking up the AW 1M at the welt the day you were. You back from ED yet?
      10-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
alphagamma
Private First Class
Rep

Hey! Good to see you online. Nope, still on ED. Yeah, I wonder if I should have the car checked out when it gets to the states. Or I wonder if someone else with a 1M can let me sit in their car while they turn their steering wheel.

How was the Ring? I'm driving it in 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
flzrider
Captain
Rep

The ring was awesome. Because it was a Wednesday afternoon it was VERY empty. I think I passed a total of maybe 2 or 3 cars on my 4 laps. On the downside, there were no ringside photographers, so I only have the in-car video I took. Enjoy it while you can, I wish I was able to fit in a couple more laps but I ran out of time. Also, if you are looking for a place to stay nearby the ring, I stayed at a great B&B that was surprisingly cheap. I can give you the info on it if you want. Otherwise, take lots of pics and enjoy!
      10-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
M1one1M
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: nothing

No offense original poster but you should try to avoid turning the steering wheel a great deal while stationary. This puts pressure on the power steering pump, which by the way is the "faint whine/moan" you can hear. It is better to have a slight bit of foward or rearward movement to coincide with big turns of the steering wheel, this helps to alleviate the pressure on the power steering pump, which in turn will lead to a longer life of the unit. Other than that the noise you are experiencing is normal, just try to avoid it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #6
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1one1M View Post
No offense original poster but you should try to avoid turning the steering wheel a great deal while stationary. This puts pressure on the power steering pump, which by the way is the "faint whine/moan" you can hear. It is better to have a slight bit of foward or rearward movement to coincide with big turns of the steering wheel, this helps to alleviate the pressure on the power steering pump, which in turn will lead to a longer life of the unit. Other than that the noise you are experiencing is normal, just try to avoid it.
+1 unless you wanna see it leak
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

Excellent reply. When at each extreme the pressure in the system is highest. The whine you hear is the pump straining. Using full lock or especially keeping the rack at full should be avoided.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Steering noises

The only steering noise that I hear in the vehicle is when driving out of the underground garage. When the turning a sharp underground garage corner or coming up and out of a ramp and the steering wheel is returned to the "straight" position I hear a click come from the front end.

The noise is similar to what I am use to hear in my VW coil-over kit. The click has always been there so I don't take any notice that there is something wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #9
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
I don't recall hearing any noise, but I did have a slight vibration at certain highway speeds. Nothing too serious.

By the way, I was the other guy picking up the AW 1M at the welt the day you were. You back from ED yet?
The only vibration at speeds (above 120km/h) that I have been feeling in mine is as of recent cold weather. That means, after I do a little cold weather cornering with the Micheline Pilots and then jump on the straight highway I get some vibration through the steering wheel. I do believe this is do to the tire deform on the corner and taking a sweet time to get back into shape due to the cold temperature (under 10 degrees).

If I do not corner hard, I don't have any vibrations . Letting the tire's sit for a while I suppose puts them back into shape as there is no vibration to follow.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
alphagamma
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
The ring was awesome. Because it was a Wednesday afternoon it was VERY empty. I think I passed a total of maybe 2 or 3 cars on my 4 laps. On the downside, there were no ringside photographers, so I only have the in-car video I took. Enjoy it while you can, I wish I was able to fit in a couple more laps but I ran out of time. Also, if you are looking for a place to stay nearby the ring, I stayed at a great B&B that was surprisingly cheap. I can give you the info on it if you want. Otherwise, take lots of pics and enjoy!
What are the rules about filming at the Ring? I'm having a hard time navigating the website and finding out. I get conflicting anecdotes from "you can't take vids to only on track days to vids anytime".

Quote:
Ah thanks. I guess I was just surprised since my WRX doesn't do this. I understand that stationary steering puts more strain on the unit, and I try my best to avoid it; but Europe's sometimes got those really tight alleys or underground parking lots! I guess I should just get use to the noise or ask the VPC to check it out when I drop off the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamma View Post
What are the rules about filming at the Ring? I'm having a hard time navigating the website and finding out. I get conflicting anecdotes from "you can't take vids to only on track days to vids anytime".
In-car video is not permitted unless you are using their rental GoPro's or getting prior approval (media and such).

I went to the ring fully intending on renting a GoPro, but the little shop that manages them was closed. I had my flip video cam with me and just asked my passenger to film it once we got on the track. The guys at the gate barely look inside the car when you get on the track.