E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > BP fuel burns cleaner than Shell - soot on exhaust tips??

10-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Question BP fuel burns cleaner than Shell - soot on exhaust tips??

This may sound funny but I have noticed that after filling with a couple of tanks of BP 98 octane that there is very little soot on my exhaust tips after a run. Whereas with Shell VPower they become black very quickly.

Is there something in this - does BP burn cleaner or something? Has anyone noticed a difference in these fuels?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

All I can say is that I use shell and I drive pretty hard and the tips are black
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:17 AM   #3
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Its interesting that you have posted this OP. I have been trialing Shell Optimax and BP Ultimate as part of a crude experiment regarding associated octane levels, my driving style and the effect this has on Procede Autotuned boost settings.

I have settled on one service station that is relatively new a couple of kms from where I live and a service station that has just been built in the Newcastle area which I travel to weekly. They are both BP service stations and my autoned settings settle to between 15.5 - 16.0 psi when filling up using them. See sig for mods. With Shell I would see autotuned boost settings of 14.0 - 14.5psi. It's funny, I also have noticed that after 10 days of driving my exhaust tips are clean using the BP product.

It's important to note the quality of the fuel depends on the proprietor of the service station ensuring the quality of fuel that they sell. I can personally attest to this. When filling up my E46 325Ci from a supermarket branded service station on the north shore in Sydney (Caltex), I had a couple of concerning moments in the morning where the car would not start "off the key" like usual and when it did fire up would stall after a couple of metres. I have had the E46 since 2002 and these are the the only two times that this has happened. Funny how a change of service station solved that problem never to occur again. So, I would suggest there would also be some variances in BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax depending on the service station.

Anyway back on topic, BP Ultimate ftw.

My automotive (and albeit cultural) heritage resides with "larger displacement" high comp, push rod, NA engines on pump gas. All the guys I know and myself run BP Ultimate in these cars. Driveability just seems to be better on it.
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i-boy View Post
Its interesting that you have posted this OP. I have been trialing Shell Optimax and BP Ultimate as part of a crude experiment regarding associated octane levels, my driving style and the effect this has on Procede Autotuned boost settings.

I have settled on one service station that is relatively new a couple of kms from where I live and a service station that has just been built in the Newcastle area which I travel to weekly. They are both BP service stations and my autoned settings settle to between 15.5 - 16.0 psi when filling up using them. See sig for mods. With Shell I would see autotuned boost settings of 14.0 - 14.5psi. It's funny, I also have noticed that after 10 days of driving my exhaust tips are clean using the BP product.

It's important to note the quality of the fuel depends on the proprietor of the service station ensuring the quality of fuel that they sell. I can personally attest to this. When filling up my E46 325Ci from a supermarket branded service station on the north shore in Sydney (Caltex), I had a couple of concerning moments in the morning where the car would not start "off the key" like usual and when it did fire up would stall after a couple of metres. I have had the E46 since 2002 and these are the the only two times that this has happened. Funny how a change of service station solved that problem never to occur again. So, I would suggest there would also be some variances in BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax depending on the service station.

Anyway back on topic, BP Ultimate ftw.

My automotive (and albeit cultural) heritage resides with "larger displacement" high comp, push rod, NA engines on pump gas. All the guys I know and myself run BP Ultimate in these cars. Driveability just seems to be better on it.
Interesting in regards to the PROcede autotune settings. I shall investigate in the name of science.

Datalogs from two different tanks of fuel would be very helpful too.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I just filled up with another fresh tank of BP Ultimate last night and the tips remain clean still.

I know that by now on Shell they would be carboned up like anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Interesting in regards to the PROcede autotune settings. I shall investigate in the name of science.

Datalogs from two different tanks of fuel would be very helpful too.
You're right datalogs are probably the best diagnostic tool we have. I didn't want to monitor boost settings only, but also every day driveability and response. I would love to datalog 1.5hrs of city and highway driving. My test track is now the F3 freeway. 160 km each way. There are 2 sections where I do a 3rd - 4th gear pull pretty safely depending on traffic. Would suspect jail time if caught though. Combine this with some spirited city driving in Sydney or the other end in Newcastle and hopefully you will get a mean value for Autotuned parameters, providing you don't change your driving style much in both directions.

Of course the Procede doesn't require anything like those distances to do it's thing. I use it more of an overview of where things have settled after longer periods of sustained driving with a particular fuel.

Also in Alext's case, it gives plenty of time for exhaust tips to carbon up.
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |

Last edited by 335i-boy; 10-30-2011 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 03:02 AM   #7
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You're right datalogs are probably the best diagnostic tool we have. I didn't want to monitor boost settings only, but also every day driveability and response. I would love to datalog 1.5hrs of city and highway driving. My test track is now the F3 freeway. 160 km each way. There are 2 sections where I do a 3rd - 4th gear pull pretty safely depending on traffic. Would suspect jail time if caught though. Combine this with some spirited city driving in Sydney or the other end in Newcastle and hopefully you will get a mean value for Autotuned parameters, providing you don't change your driving style much in both directions.

Of course the Procede doesn't require anything like those distances to do it's thing. I use it more of an overview of where things have settled after longer periods of sustained driving with a particular fuel.

Also in Alext's case, it gives plenty of time for exhaust tips to carbon up.
Sounds like a great mixed-driving situation to pull some datalogs. I'll definitely look into do some for community research sometime next month after exams.

My selection of roads isn't nearly as varied as yours though, and nowhere for me to do 3rd/4th gear pulls!

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Very interesting observation OP. I had noticed a similar thing but didnt think to follow up until i saw your post.

After yesterday's forum meet i noticed my exhaust tips were pretty clean given I did 275kms of pretty hard driving (it was raining like a b*tch, but i doubt that cleaned anything given the state my car looks now). I had filled up with BP the night before as my regular Caltex was closed...

Usually with Caltex, my exhaust tip would be coated in carbon the next day - on much less kms.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
I have been trialing Shell Optimax
You mean Shell V-Power. Yes?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:43 PM   #10
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

It's amazing what difference the fuel makes. Any engineers, mechanics, techies have a plausible explanation for this cos it's got me stumped?

Perhaps BP fuel promotes a more complete combustion in our engines thereby producing less carbon by-product?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #11
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
It's amazing what difference the fuel makes. Any engineers, mechanics, techies have a plausible explanation for this cos it's got me stumped?

Perhaps BP fuel promotes a more complete combustion in our engines thereby producing less carbon by-product?
It's probably down to the different additives they put in the fuel before pumping it out.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe there is only ONE refinery in Australia anyway where every company gets their fuel from.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 04:38 AM   #12
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia View Post
You mean Shell V-Power. Yes?
Yes. Optimax is a pretty old school reference for what is now Shell V- Power.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #13
graham999au
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

For what it's worth, BMW have told me to stay clear of any fuel other than BP 98 octane. In particularly stay away from Shell. I drive a 335i N55.
2011 E92 335i M Sport Coupe/DCT/Black Sapphire/Oyster/Bamboo Grain/Sunroof/OEM Performance Exhaust/Individual Audio/Heated Seats/TV/Folding Mirrors/6FL iPod/6NF Extended Connectivity/Internet/ACS Roof spoiler/ACS Aluminium Peddles
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #14
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham999au View Post
For what it's worth, BMW have told me to stay clear of any fuel other than BP 98 octane. In particularly stay away from Shell. I drive a 335i N55.
I'd take that with a grain of salt, us N54 boys will do some datalogs and verify fuel qualities.

Appreciate 0