10-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

1M Available! ... 15K Mark Up :(

Hello all,

I was contacted once again from a sales rep from Irvine BMW.
Unfortunately they are selling with a $15,000 mark up.
Here is the rest of the information

Franz Hlasny
Irvine BMW
(949)387-8258 Direct
(949)584-7769 Cell
(949)387-8142 Fax

2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe
Alpine White
Premium Package
Convenience Package
Heated Front Seats

MSRP $52,610
Selling Price $67,610

If anyone of you are willing to pay contact him quickly.
He says there are 6 more clients waiting to hear from him.
I'll let him know i have friends who are interested if that helps at all.
Best of luck guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
SNOOPY11
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Coupe

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

The same car is on eBay with a starting bid of 62k.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
GT1281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330e/F25 X3

I understand it's a rare car and it's absolutely badass but I still think they are douches for selling it at 15K over sticker
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
SOLD!

Only to an idiot...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Blue135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

crazy pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil335 View Post
I understand it's a rare car and it's absolutely badass but I still think they are douches for selling it at 15K over sticker
Agree 100%, and sadly there are enough people willing to allow this gouging, kind of a joke actually. I'd never pay MSRP, much less anything over that, for ANY car. Some people have money to burn I guess because they won't be smiling that hard when they see the value of their huge investment in 3 yrs. People can say rare all they want but just to give you my perspective, I had one of only 23 2006 E55 estates brought into the US by MB. Sticker on the car was close to 100k, luckily since it's such a sleeper car the dealers weren't trying to jack me and I paid mid 90's. Sold it 3 years later with 17k miles on it for $44k, less than HALF what I paid. If I had paid 15k over sticker I would have been even more depressed. Hope I'm wrong and all you guys paying ridiculous amounts don't take a huge bath in a couple years
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Well, the truth is that all these people that can afford to pay these predatory mark-ups and are willing to do so are doing all of us a favor of sorts. The limited production of these vehicles (keep in mind that we are talking limited production BMW M cars, not limited production Hyundai Genesis GTRs or some crap like that) combined with the average selling price of them will in the end boost the resale value of the 1Ms quite nicely. Not that it matters to me...I'm keeping this baby fo eva! But it will have a telling effect on the future value none the less.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

There has been a lot of debate on this board about these mark-ups. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but there are valid arguments from those who support ethical pricing and business practices and those who embrace the free-market and caveat emptor.

I've gone on the record here and viciously attacked the practice and practitioners of the vehicular mark-up--my position is clear.

My reasonable side, prefers to warn prospective buyers that very few cars go up in value. In fact, a car is probably the fastest and most reliable way to lose one's money, short of operating an airline. I only buy what I like, and what I like is M-cars. I'm the proud owner of another very rare, limited edition M--an S54 E36 M Roadster--and after 10 years, it can be had for just over half of what I paid. Does this bother me? Narp. Will I ever sell my M-cars? Narp. Would I pay over MSRP for the "privilege" of ownership? Narp. There's always another hot car coming out to buy. Am I satisfied with my purchases? Yarp. And that's what it boils down to.

Us 1M owners though, "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers" are truly blessed in the end.

By my math (680 cars in a nation of 350 million), we are the 0.0002 percent...

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
nebby
SoCal 1M
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Audi A8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue135i View Post
People can say rare all they want but just to give you my perspective, I had one of only 23 2006 E55 estates brought into the US by MB. Sticker on the car was close to 100k, luckily since it's such a sleeper car the dealers weren't trying to jack me and I paid mid 90's. Sold it 3 years later with 17k miles on it for $44k, less than HALF what I paid. If I had paid 15k over sticker I would have been even more depressed. Hope I'm wrong and all you guys paying ridiculous amounts don't take a huge bath in a couple years
That is an apple compared to my Valencia Orange.

I agree that rare alone doesn't equal high or increasing resale. However, I do like the combination of rare + highly sought after + highly regarded in nearly all reviews + first 1 Series M ever + first turbo M ever + other factors.

I personally like the mark-ups... especially more so knowing I didn't have to pay it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
PHANTOM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M, X5d

Quote:
Agree 100%, and sadly there are enough people willing to allow this gouging, kind of a joke actually. I'd never pay MSRP, much less anything over that, for ANY car. Some people have money to burn I guess because they won't be smiling that hard when they see the value of their huge investment in 3 yrs. People can say rare all they want but just to give you my perspective, I had one of only 23 2006 E55 estates brought into the US by MB. Sticker on the car was close to 100k, luckily since it's such a sleeper car the dealers weren't trying to jack me and I paid mid 90's. Sold it 3 years later with 17k miles on it for $44k, less than HALF what I paid. If I had paid 15k over sticker I would have been even more depressed. Hope I'm wrong and all you guys paying ridiculous amounts don't take a huge bath in a couple years
Would you pay under MSRP for a car? Either way it is simply a matter of supply and demand.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
GT1281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Dealership I work for refuses to mark up any car no matter how rare or in demand they are. I remember when the Porsche Carrera GT came out the owner would not allow it to be sold for a penny over sticker. Under sticker yes but never over. I respect that and that's why we do a ton of business.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
AI had one of only 23 2006 E55 estates brought into the US by MB. Sticker on the car was close to 100k, luckily since it's such a sleeper car the dealers weren't trying to jack me and I paid mid 90's. Sold it 3 years later with 17k miles on it for $44k, less than HALF what I paid.
Don't take this the wrong way, but the only take-away from your cautionary tale is that rarity alone doesn't make for an instant or future classic.

Maybe the mere fact that you were able to buy such a 'rare' car for under sticker should have clued you in to the fact that it was hardly considered a highly desirable car causing a frenzy in the media and the enthusiast community.

I paid MSRP less a little bit change (close enough to make no difference). I don't particularly feel like I did something stupid because I'm not planning to sell the car at a 50% loss in 3-4 years like you did with the Merc.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
Blue135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil335 View Post
The Dealership I work for refuses to mark up any car no matter how rare or in demand they are. I remember when the Porsche Carrera GT came out the owner would not allow it to be sold for a penny over sticker. Under sticker yes but never over. I respect that and that's why we do a ton of business.
now, that is a place I would buy a car.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #14
Blue135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but the only take-away from your cautionary tale is that rarity alone doesn't make for an instant or future classic.

Maybe the mere fact that you were able to buy such a 'rare' car for under sticker should have clued you in to the fact that it was hardly considered a highly desirable car causing a frenzy in the media and the enthusiast community.

I paid MSRP less a little bit change (close enough to make no difference). I don't particularly feel like I did something stupid because I'm not planning to sell the car at a 50% loss in 3-4 years like you did with the Merc.
Actually, it is quite desirable given its specific utility, sure that car was not meant for autocross or the like but I would be willing to bet it would beat your 1M in a straight-line 1/4 race, with two kids facing backwards in the 3rd row rear facing seats waving bye bye. Sorry, not trying to start a pissing match on here, I have a modded 1 now and it's 'quick' with the JB4 but in my opinion would not hang with my estate in a straight-line race. Anyway, not looking for a "this is faster than that, blah blah" argument, I just think that you may be getting ahead of yourself if you think your 1M is going to hold value like the last of the water cooled 911T's......I guess we'll need a couple years to see who wins that argument.

PS, if you got yours for just under msrp, well done. I am more annoyed at the dealers than the buyers on this, and totally understand supply and demand, its just unfortunate that the dealers take advantage of you guys
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

I was referring to the fact that the market does not seem to think the E55 is very desirable or recognize its rarity. Unfortunately, estates have always been given the short shrift in the US in favor of SUVs. Pity. In any case, it may still end up being a future classic 20 year from now.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I thought the 1M would hold value like a 993 or anything else. While I'm pretty sure it will hold it's value much better than the E55, I, personally, could care less.

I buy my cars for the long term and only buy cars I want to keep long term.

On the subject of greedy dealers and individuals, the market is the real 'villain' here. The flip-side of the equation is that if you want a less 'desirable' vehicle, there are quite a few bargains to be had as well. Who knows, you may prove to be prescient and the 1M values will plummet and someone will offer to to a straight up trade with your 135 in 3 years.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #16
PHANTOM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M, X5d

Quote:

Just like Ferrari 599s were selling for $500k and now they're $180k. Hopefully the 1M will be a little more resilient.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:25 AM   #17
Blue135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Who knows, you may prove to be prescient and the 1M values will plummet and someone will offer to to a straight up trade with your 135 in 3 years.
I doubt it will go THAT far....lol.......well I do keep it garaged....
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #18
JetDriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet :(

There is always going to be someone willing to pay the markup and that is why they do it. Look at the Honda S2000's when they came out. They were going for $45,000+. I was in love with the car, but couldn't afford it. 4 years later, I bought one for $2,000 under sticker.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #19
GT1281
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
now, that is a place I would buy a car.
Like I said. That's why we do a ton of business. You have to respect the fact that the customer works hard for their money and they shouldn't have to be cheated out of it because someone wants to be greedy.
Appreciate 0