10-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Harman Kardon speaker locations in 1M

Hi everyone,

As I told before in my previous thread I keep on counting just 8 speakers in my 3 day old 1M. I ordered and paid for H/K and they appear in invoice etc., plus the front mirror triangle tweeters are in fact with H/K logo on them but at the back I just couldn't see any tweeters but only 2 mid range speakers. The rear tweeters are one distinguishing feature of H/K so I want to clarify this.

Documents are not helping, can someone who owns a 1M with H/K take a photo of its rear parcel shelf area where the speakers should be.

I hope they are integrated inside the same place together with the midranges, that's why I see only 8.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

http://bmw.harmankardon.com/en/index.aspx

EDIT: Nevermind...spoke too soon. I see why you asked the question. Perhaps they're in the same location as the rears?

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 10-31-2011 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Thanks anyway. I know that document, it is a beautiful document and according to that all I have from H/K is the front tweeters and who knows if I am lucky also the DSP which is even less visible.

Or, I really need to go and have my eyes checked.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

the thing is, those are definitely not JUST mid's in the back. there's definitely highs as well (hurts my ears if I turn EQ all the way up to highs and listen in the rear). my guess is that they are installed side-by-side?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

was going to add a post earlier but I was busy at work.

Coaxial speakers with component quality tweeters are becoming very common. I would imagine that is what is employed in the back..

Normally.. most coaxial speakers have a lesser quality tweeter... However many manufactureres are now using a true high quality tweeter (much like is employed in the separates line) placed on a bridge that goes over the midrange driver cone. In some cases the tweeter can even be positioned, and the there may even be separate outboard crossovers... here is an example of a high quality speaker with such a tweeter

http://www.focal.com/en/car-audio-so...ux/100-ca1.php

To be honest... There is very little reason for tweets in the rear of ANY car... unless you are talking separates mounted in the door. Tweeters behind the ears of back seat passengers make it hard to hear for those rear seat passengers, and they also destroy some of the sound stage for front seat passengers. Mid range drivers for rear fill are all that is needed in the rear, unless one is trying to replicate surround sound in the vehicle. If the HK sound system uses Logic 7 from the head unit.. . then this would be why they have full tweets in the rear.

True high end car audio.. including systems for high end car audio competitions.. typically use mid range or midbass drivers for rear fill rather than have directional sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. I have owned a Lexicon surround sound processor which uses Logic 7. It's a great system for home audio listening.. really a bit overkill for car audio purrposes.. but the manufacturer has to find a way to get people to tick the option boxes somehow...

Hope this helps Oz... stop counting speakers, starting new threads... and start driving or something.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 10-31-2011 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

M3 Adjuster, thanks for all the effort and good information; I know that you had been working in the business and have direct information on all this. Probably that is why you did not opt for H/K, if I remember correctly.

I'll take your advice and stop counting speakers...and things in general
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

M3 you're in the business? Now I'm just intrigued :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Hi everyone,

As I told before in my previous thread I keep on counting just 8 speakers in my 3 day old 1M. I ordered and paid for H/K and they appear in invoice etc., plus the front mirror triangle tweeters are in fact with H/K logo on them but at the back I just couldn't see any tweeters but only 2 mid range speakers. The rear tweeters are one distinguishing feature of H/K so I want to clarify this.

Documents are not helping, can someone who owns a 1M with H/K take a photo of its rear parcel shelf area where the speakers should be.

I hope they are integrated inside the same place together with the midranges, that's why I see only 8.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Seeing this thread made me look around my car searching for the speakers. I looked up that brochure @ http://bmw.harmankardon.com/brochures/bmw.pdf and thought it'd be easy. It's probably too dark right now but so far I can only find the side mirror mounted ones cos it's got the HK logo on it. I can see a box mounted to the bottom of the front seats(not to the floor) and I assume that's the woofer? I didn't feel it vibrating much if at all tho with my hands on it which is a bit odd. I also can't see any rear speakers as well as the DSP logic 7 amplifier. Are they in anyway concealed?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

A few days ago while I was driving I have noticed a car audio store and stopped by and asked the technician about my little mystery and he got inside the car and started the radio and told me that there are definitely tweeters behind under the same box with the midranges.

So counting the speakers and wondering their whereabouts officially ended for me, there are 8 visible but 10 physical speakers with the H/K. The brochures are somewhat misleading.

And the subwoofers are definitely under the front seats and visible.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

forgot to say;the amplifier is not visible, you have to open up the side (drivers?) cover material alltogether inside the trunk area to see it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I can't wait to hear this thing when my car arrives!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
I've lost most of my upper register on the left (firearms), so I'm just happy that I can move the balance over and make it feel more...balanced. I was wondering about the number of speakers as well. Will have to scope out the back again.
      11-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

I didn't feel the HK system was useful

The engine was more than enough for my years.

At any RPM range it drowns out the music for sure
      11-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
I didn't feel the HK system was useful

The engine was more than enough for my years.

At any RPM range it drowns out the music for sure
Good point. I'm type A...I prefer to have both.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
Good point. I'm type A...I prefer to have both.
I also wanted it all. That's why I ordered it.

But realistically, it's ALWAYS just background noise.