BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
djafactor
MINI Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 89 M3, 1M, e30 touring

My e30 M3 featured in a 1M comparo review

Last month I got a call from a local auto journalist who was looking to pit a 1M press car vs a e30 M3. I was more than happy to oblige. We took both cars out to the local track and turned some hot laps while a photographer took his shots. The article is in French (you can use google translate) but its worth it to check out the action pics.

Enjoy!

E30 M3 vs 1M

Amit

Loose Google Translation of the article:

When BMW unveiled its new M Coupe 1, many fans expressed their joy to see the builder back to basics with a more compact coupe powered by a "good old 6-cylinder in-line". On the official photos of the new small M, BMW had also been careful to park the first of the 80 M3, as if the marketing people wanted at all costs show that the manufacturer had done his homework by studying the first of the line, editing E30. They were not wrong! The M3 has been growing in size and power over the generations, which is a little distorted the product. The bomb V8 is still a formidable machine, but I must admit, it is light years ahead of the first concept. The project 1M Cup is much closer in terms of proportions of a BMW E30 M3 first generation, although the reason for the two models is quite different. The first M3 was launched on the market just to meet the rules the DTM at the time. For its part, the 1 M Coupe was developed after the regular working hours from parts taken from the catalog by BMW engineers who simply wanted to enjoy creating a unique car. These led all M vehicles of the past and one that always came to the forefront was the first M3. The 1M Coupe is strongly inspired by his ancestor of the decade 80. This explains our insistence on trying to find a legendary owner of the car in order to contrast it with the 1 M Coupe. Admittedly, the first M3 is not a very common car.

Fortune smiles
However, we came across a happy owner with a copy of 1989 in excellent condition. The only changes made ​​to his car were limited to a Borla exhaust more musical, Bilstein shock absorbers and strut bars front and rear to solidify the car somewhat. Given the two cars, we had no choice but to try them on a circuit. We thank also the Autodrome St-Eustache for lending us their facilities for several hours. Amit Ahluwalia is leading this relic of the past almost every day during the summer.

But the story of our passion does not end there, since it is also a future owner of the other vehicle involved in the M face to face. Indeed, a few weeks before our interview, he went to take delivery of its new 1 M Coupe in Germany, participating BMW European Delivery. At the time of this writing, the coupe is still on a boat for America. His father, an avid BMW and former owner of an M3 E36, accompanied him in this European tour. The perfect father-son trip what! Amit has obviously taken possession of his new beast, but he was also able to converse with people from the M division while visiting the facilities of the sports section. The height of his visit occurred when he was shown the first prototype of an M Coupe that was used as a test bed to refine the development of the car. To hear the main concerned European roads are much nicer than ours, while the Autobahn is an experience once in your life. On this point, we absolutely agree.

20 years apart But back a little by the comparison, if you wish. Both have similar dimensions M, M being the one greater than 122 mm, its length being greater than 33 mm only, while its wheelbase is longer by 76 mm. So far, no surprises! However, what is surprising is the total weight of the new 1M which is only 1495 kg 1300 kg compared to the M3 80s. The project engineers have worked hard 1M to keep a power / weight ratio favorable despite all the modern equipment on board. As for engines, the first M3 used a 4-cylinder version of the 6-cylinder of the first M1. This unit normally aspirated 2.3-liter engine was rated at 192 horsepower and 170 lb-ft of torque for America - Europe will be entitled to more powerful versions over the years. The 1M Cup has, in turn, entitled to the same twin-turbo engine housed under the bonnet of the Z4 sDrive35i, which is rated at 335 horsepower and peak torque of 332 lb-ft. The 1M is a "hot rod" next to his ancestor. As for manual transmissions, the oldest of the two used a 5-speed manual transmission short, the new report receiving more.

The first M3 was simply an approved version of the race car. So it was a car without compromising on driving. However, within the M3 lacked nothing in luxury. The 1 M Coupe, meanwhile, is rather a collection of BMW parts. Besides driving the Z4, the M is equipped with a suspension of the current M3, same for the brakes while the wheels are the same used on all of the M3 Competition or the most extreme M3 GTS. Add to that the typical K-4 exhaust chrome tips under the rear bumper and, of course, a characteristic feature of modern M, the famous M button on the steering wheel that turns the reactions of the car, lorsqu'enfoncé.

On Track Surely this comparative test is uneven from the start. The 1 M Coupe is a supercar next to the E30 M3. Rather, the essence of both designs is very similar. Both offer very high mechanical and revolutionizing it's the same story at the gear levers with short, which is accurate in both cases. The suspensions of the M3 were a bit more worn than the 1 M Coupe, but again there were similarities in the reactions. The rear end remains neutral in situations of turn and if you push too much, both cars are incredibly easy to control, although I must admit I prefer the M3.

What is absolutely identical, however, after making a few laps in one or more of these machines Germanic, the smile displayed by the driver. Yes, the M Coupe is a faster, more comfortable and more stable because of the modern tire, but the M3 does not have to blush before this modern development. The old M3 is less sophisticated, its direction is not even assisted, while the steering wheel position is not ideal, but in the end is in it that I leave and, despite the fact that the 1 M Coupe is my favorite heart of 2011. The sound of the 4-cylinder engine, the dirty side of the BMW and the body taken directly from the German touring are elements which I can not resist. At 100 km / h, one can feel the reactions of the M3. In the M 1 is more subdued and at the same time, less exciting. Nevertheless, BMW has given birth to an authentic M 1 M and with her ​​inspiration for this is found in gray on our photos.

-- October 31, 2011, by Vincent Aubé

Last edited by djafactor; 11-03-2011 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Added translated article
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Gawd those Google translations are headache inducing!

That said, thanks for sharing and nice pics!

I was lol'ing at the imiage of you "eading this relic of the past almost every day during the summer"

Also, I am insanely jealous of you for having the E30.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
djafactor
MINI Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 89 M3, 1M, e30 touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Gawd those Google translations are headache inducing!

That said, thanks for sharing and nice pics!

I was lol'ing at the imiage of you "eading this relic of the past almost every day during the summer"

Also, I am insanely jealous of you for having the E30.
LOL...eating his relic of the past! The funny thing is I'm such an M nut I probably would.

When I see them sitting on the driveway together I usually have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming.