11-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Tilting of Side Mirrors

I know that when the exterior mirror adjust button is pressed to the right, it locks the mirrors so they don't tilt down when in reverse, but mine is pressed to the left and only the passenger side mirror is tilting down and not the driver side.

I'm pretty sure both were working before...also the driver side mirror folds about half a second slower than the passenger side...does anyone else's do this?

Is this a mechanical issue I need to get the dealer to check or is it a setting or something?

Last edited by arvinz; 11-03-2011 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
gkmunch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Only the passenger side tilts with this setting.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

I thought only the passenger side mirror dipped...
      11-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

only passenger side dips.

for drive side, just move up
      11-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Really?? Wow ok...maybe I am going crazy, I thought both tilted.

What about the mirrors folding...do both of them fold at the exact same time on your cars?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
de85275
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 424/740

Garage List
Do you have to have the conv or premium package for this? My delivery expert told me my stripper car would do this, but it does not. No tilting in reverse, no folding either.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Only Passenger Side Tilts To Curb Op
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
mine is fully loaded....only passenger side tilts in reverse and yes my driver side mirror also folds a second slower than the passenger side....I have yet to test the mirror adjuster to the right side and see if it locks the mirrors when in reverse
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by de85275 View Post
Do you have to have the conv or premium package for this? My delivery expert told me my stripper car would do this, but it does not. No tilting in reverse, no folding either.
I'm in Canada and we only have 3 options: Executive Package, Navigation Package and BMW Apps Package. I got the Exec and Nav package. Not sure if the folding or tilting is part of these packages.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquedemon View Post
mine is fully loaded....only passenger side tilts in reverse and yes my driver side mirror also folds a second slower than the passenger side....I have yet to test the mirror adjuster to the right side and see if it locks the mirrors when in reverse
Ahh ok good! Phew...I thought something was wrong with my driver side being a tad slower...the mirror adjuster to the right does indeed lock the passenger mirror to not tilt, 100% sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Again, only passenger side tilts in reverse. Both fold simultaneously on my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
wabbit
wabbit!
Mexico
Rep
Drives: ///1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Again, only passenger side tilts in reverse. Both fold simultaneously on my car.
x2 only passenger tilts and both fold simultaneously
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
hmm wonder why ours folds a little slower on the driver side if yours doesn't
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #14
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Quote:
just depends on the motors....mine are not insync
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Ok, given my engineering nature and the curiosity that this thread planted in my head, I went to my car and folded the mirrors multiple times while observing them VERY closely. While the whole operation seems simultaneous, the driver side lags by a split second, but barely noticeable. Again, I had to watch very closely and try it multiple times. So I guess we are all in sync, and I find it interesting that we share the same side in common...I'm willing to bet that due to driving ergonomics and design of the mirrors, the driver side mirror possibly has to travel a bit more than the passenger side mirror. Since we sit closer to the mirror, there's probably a wider angle created by the line of sight and plane of the mirror's surface.

Now if we could only confirm this theory by having a UK driver prove the opposite that would be great lol

Quote:
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, given my engineering nature and the curiosity that this thread planted in my head, I went to my car and folded the mirrors multiple times while observing them VERY closely. While the whole operation seems simultaneous, the driver side lags by a split second, but barely noticeable. Again, I had to watch very closely and try it multiple times. So I guess we are all in sync, and I find it interesting that we share the same side in common...I'm willing to bet that due to driving ergonomics and design of the mirrors, the driver side mirror possibly has to travel a bit more than the passenger side mirror. Since we sit closer to the mirror, there's probably a wider angle created by the line of sight and plane of the mirror's surface.

Now if we could only confirm this theory by having a UK driver prove the opposite that would be great lol
agreed...i was thinking along the same lines. Perhaps due to ergonomics and design of the vehicle, maybe the driver side receives a more segmented amount of power from the grid while folding as opposed to the passenger side, or as you said, it might have to travel a longer distance to initiate the action.

But you would think the driver side (left) would be the faster side since the button is on that side
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #17
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

For sure only the passanger side tilts, my former E90 330i was also the same and it is written in the manual and documents describing the options that way.

About folding, I also did not notice any difference but it might well be what 1SerieStud just explained, maybe a very minor difference.

Unlike my 330 with the remote of 1M I am not able to fold the exterior mirrors from outside after locking the car by pressing a second or so longer, folding function operates only from the button inside; is it supposed to be this way or am I doing something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #18
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by de85275 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. Has to do with coding perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #19
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
agreed...i was thinking along the same lines. Perhaps due to ergonomics and design of the vehicle, maybe the driver side receives a more segmented amount of power from the grid while folding as opposed to the passenger side, or as you said, it might have to travel a longer distance to initiate the action.

But you would think the driver side (left) would be the faster side since the button is on that side
No, the signal travels first to the passenger door at the speed of light and is tired once it it comes all the way back to the driver door

Seriously, the delay between the both mirrors folding, if any, might be deliberate to lower peak current draws.

Also, in the coding (that from the factory only enables curb monitor when option folding mirror option 313 is purchased) there is a curb monitor parameter that defines the side of the car with the steering wheel, you can change that but it is unlikely that you can get them both to tilt. The good news is that if you have a stripper, the curb monitor can be enabled with 'just' coding your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
For sure only the passanger side tilts, my former E90 330i was also the same and it is written in the manual and documents describing the options that way.

About folding, I also did not notice any difference but it might well be what 1SerieStud just explained, maybe a very minor difference.

Unlike my 330 with the remote of 1M I am not able to fold the exterior mirrors from outside after locking the car by pressing a second or so longer, folding function operates only from the button inside; is it supposed to be this way or am I doing something wrong?
Nothing wrong with you (after all, you own an 1M ;-). Folding mirror on FOB close is a coding parameter that is not enabled stock on the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #21
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

I think you misread what I said...I wasn't referring to signal travel distance, I was referring to physical folding/unfolding distance

Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #22
elro
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Glacier Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
No, the signal travels first to the passenger door at the speed of light and is tired once it it comes all the way back to the driver door

Seriously, the delay between the both mirrors folding, if any, might be deliberate to lower peak current draws.

Also, in the coding (that from the factory only enables curb monitor when option folding mirror option 313 is purchased) there is a curb monitor parameter that defines the side of the car with the steering wheel, you can change that but it is unlikely that you can get them both to tilt. The good news is that if you have a stripper, the curb monitor can be enabled with 'just' coding your vehicle.
So who do I get this code changed. Do i ask the dealer to change it so that the passenger side mirror tilts? I have had this feature on all my BMW's and i am very used to parking with it, now even more with the wide wheels.
Thanks to advice
Appreciate 0