Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

1M vs e36 M3

Warning: this is really long

Overall:
I really freakin’ enjoy this car. It is indeed a little bastard, who is just too damn fun for your own good. I love the bulging fender flares, love the bespoke alcantara interior, love-love-love the torque, love the over-sized wheels and brakes,…. and love the dynamics. An ocean of torque and wiggly rear end under hard acceleration are just so damn enjoyable.

Me:
I’m a weekend road warrior. I’ve done various track events like shifter kart days, Skip Barber classes, a track day w/ my M3, and one w/ my modded MKIII VR6 GTi waaay back in the day. I abuse others’ equipment whenever I can afford it. And, in general I modify to my to handle and have fun, rather than look fast. I’m coming from a mod’ed e36 M3 Coupe, and so I’m using that as a reference vehicle for my notes below. I also enjoy long walks on the beach at sunset.

1M Specs:
Week 36 production
AW, Bluetooth, iPod/USB, HK Audio, Heated Seats
630 miles at time of this posting

The 1M replaces my 99 M3:
e36 Coupe, cosmos black, electric vaders
TC Kline SA Koni-based Coilovers
Vorshlag camber plates, -2 degrees camber on the street
K1 Kosei 17*8.5 wheels at 17lbs per wheel
Turner front spacers & front hub extenders
Rebuilt motor to 11:1 compression w. forged pistons/rods, JB racing flywheel, DSR cams, M50 intake manifold, cold air intake, GIAC tuned, mild port/polish of the head, UUC catback – loud, booming and popping exhaust – 241 whp
UUC short shift w/ DSSR

Setup for street fun with moderate spring rates. I loved this car, handling was scalpel sharp, demanded my attention, rewarded generously,.. even if was a bit tricky to launch,… as power cane on in upper rpm band. Generally was, nimble, fast enough, forgiving, and a damned hoot. Immense fun wrapped in classic e36 proportions and practicality. However, I was always left wanting more power. So much so, that I never put more than a half-tank of gas in it, and usually drove around minus the back seats.

Other cars I considered:
e46 M3 – love the looks, but ultimately didn’t provide any appreciable performance gain over my modified e36. Let’s say I was able to handily keep up with e46’s, and outrun less-well driven e46’s. I would have had to dump the same mods into the e46 as I did in the e36 to outclass my car.

e90 M3 – Got very close to buying one, but dealer wouldn’t CPO it for what I wanted. Ultimately was fun and tech laden, but did lack the light-on-your-feet feeling I loved in the e36. In retrospect, I am really glad that deal fell through. I think this car would have made me feel mature. And old. I’ll let my actual age do that for me instead.
997.1S – love these cars, and the 997 is the first 911 I actually fit in comfortably. But I would have had to buy an 05/06, which well out of warranty. Furthermore for a high quality example I would have had to pay more than I paid for my brand new 1M.

1M impressions:

Handling:
The 1M feels like it sticks just as well and turns in just as well as my coil-overed M3. It isn’t quite as razor sharp, but turning the steering wheel elicits immediate and commensurate movement of the nose. I had more road feel coming through the M3’s wheel than the 1M’s, but I’m not gonna cry about it. While I haven’t driven it 10/10’s obviously, I have never felt the back-end step out unexpectedly, or felt any sort of fun-killing understeer. Stab the throttle in exit or mid corner though and be ready w/ opposite lock.

The very first night I had the 1M, and after the kids were asleep – I went for a run on my favorite local twisty back road. This road is a mix of smooth parts, broken-up parts, 35 MPH turns and 15 MPH turns. I was essentially ‘cruising’ the 1M through the corners, short straights and transitions simply by input-ing steering angle, tapping the brakes, and squeezing a bit of throttle – and was effectively jamming through there. Achieving the same pace in the M3 would have meant actively sawing the wheel and noisily keeping the motor on boil, through frequent up/down shifts. Also very fun, but a lot more effort for the same result. The 1M felt planted, safe, and fast. Achieving this pace was just so easy. Transitions in the 1M, as in the M3 are beautiful, simply turn-in, unwind, turn-in, repeat – both cars dance from left to right and do exactly what you want them to do. No funny business, just tons of feedback and effortless weaving and bobbing. Key difference is if you stab the 1M’s throttle,…. Just be ready – either with opposite lock or the tunnel vision which sucks you into the next corner. The M3 by contrast needed to be in the upper rpm band to bring the back end out,… and made a show or concert of achieving forward pace.

Ride quality is very nice for the performance, but I could do w/ a little less ‘bounce’ in the rear. Perhaps it is softly sprung from the factory back there to reduce oversteer or something. Either way, I would like it to have less rebound as I feel like the rear jumps up after absorbing a significant bump. Minor quibble though,…

Motor:
Torque. Did I mention torque? So nice to have it and have it in this prodigious quantity. Especially coming from the high strung 11:1 motor in my e36. I haven’t been past 5.5k rpm, so I can’t comment on the very top end power delivery. Power is there too. The throttle response and linear delivery of power in my e36 is tough to beat and the 1M compared to the M3 does fall a little short. But, so what! That freaking torque is just so fun. The 1M is no slouch, given it’s own lightweight flywheel, but this isn’t a NA motor. Additionally the power seems to surge a bit if you aren’t smooth w/ the throttle application. Perhaps this is what a few reviewers refer to the as boost coming in ‘abruptly’. I think it just a matter of learning how to drive the car.

Shifter:
The stock shifter in my e36 was a friggin wet noodle. Long throws – and just not as crisp as I wanted. The 1M shifter has throws similar in length as my UUS short sifter modified e36, but is much less notchy and more smooth. In short I’m very happy with the short throws and positive, affirmative feel that tells me the shift is complete. Good stuff.

Steering rack:
Only adding this here, because the bus-like steering wheel and bus-like turns required from lock to lock – was the last thing on the my e36 that was driving me crazy. Everything was great after mods, jus the amount of lock required was annoying. I was about to consider the Z3 rack mod, but had to draw the line somewhere. The 1M’s rack is just about perfect. I look forward to proper 1M hooning to get familiar w/ amount of opposite lock needed to keep from swapping ends.

Exhaust drone:
Get over it,…. sounds awesome. Get a Lexus if you want to nap in your car. I personally love this exhaust. It’s got enough attitude to display your attitude, but isn’t so loud to piss off the neighborhood. Or attract unwanted attention on the street. Perfect. I won’t be touching it.

Sport/MDM:
Why can’t BMW, please just default to Sport and MDM on for crying out loud? Every time I get in the car I hit the M button and the ESC button. I drive 100% in sport mode, as I love the earlier delivery of torque and the snappier throttle response. And of course as previously stated, the standard ESC mode is just too intrusive, it quashes just about any spirited take off and corner exit. MDM + sport lets to what feels like the perfect street launch – when tires are just scratching for grip and chirping ever so slightly. So much fun. Perhaps tuners can build this as an option into their tunes?

Stereo:
I opted for the HK upgrade. And I am VERY glad I did. I appreciate good sound and hate poor sound, but I’m not one of those audiophile-snobby types. Sound is plenty crisp with deep and punchy bass – compared to our 06 530 with logic7 audio – the 1M HK system also gets super loud w/out distortion, and in general I would say sounds almost as good. I did upgrade the e36’s door speakers w/ the BSW kit,… and that system can’t hold a candle to the 1M’s. Overall, very happy w/ the 1M. ipod integration w/out idrive is better than expected. Not as pretty, but just as functional with quicker access to functions given the buttons are right there. Bluetooth integration works like a charm, and again is just as functional as w/ idrive, but with quicker access to functions given the myriad of buttons available on the stereo. Very happy.

Seats:
I’m 6’4” and am glad I got the manual seats for the extra headroom. I still feel like I’m sitting a bit high in the car, but I’m also glad I’m sitting lower than if I had opted for electric seats. At the moment I have something like four fingers worth of space between the top of my head and the headliner. Should be just right w/ a helmet on. My electric vaders forced me to actually lay the seat back more than I wanted to in the M3 while on track. I won’t have that issue w/ this car thankfully. I do wish these seats had a bit more shoulder support, but for the street these seats are just fine, particularly w/ the heating elements. In the end I miss my vaders in comfort – those seats were just made for me.

iDrive:
I didn’t get it. This was the only decision I was second and third guessing on the car. But ultimately the way BMW NA put us in the package straight jacket – I really had no choice given my desire for manual seats. Ultimately, the phone / ipod funcitons work very well on the stereo, especially if have playlists and you program your most often called numbers. I’m happy w/ the decision. And I must say I never could warm up the to the pasted-on design of the center mounted hump. I love the clean look and the 100% driver orientation of having a smooth dash – with the only hump being the perfectly sized and alcantara covered gauge cluster. Another subtle note - non iDrive cars have the HVAC controls placed lower on the console, with the radio sitting where HVAC goes in iDrive cars. To me the overall aesthetic is much nicer. Weight savings? Eh,…. I consider it a little bonus – not a reason to forgo new tech. We’ll see if the lack of iDrive helps the car come across as less dated in 10-15 years time. At this point I’m not missing it.

What’s next:
Promised the wife no mods for a year (her starting negotiating position was none ever, then no engine, then she tried to put a dollar cap on the mods – we ended w/ OK, no modes in the first year). When the time comes, I’ll look into a decent coilover set. I have to believe the 1M should utilize different valving and spring rates than the much less tail-happy and heavier e9x M3. So I hope a 1M specifically tuned set appears. Will likely do camber plates and maybe spacers.

Some parting shots of the M3 – replaced, but not forgotten, sniff.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Nice review.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
speedM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

Great write up, having owned a 95 E36 M3 (albeit fairly stock) for 13 years, you hit the nail on the head. Steering feel was better in the M3, and the turbo motor's power delivery (surge) takes a little getting used to. The car is so much smoother and capable that it seems a lot slower than it is, until I glance at the speedo and realize I'm in danger of getting a ticket. Regarding the nav hump, if you're of average height (I'm 5'10), it's not even in the line of site. The hood sits higher than the nav, so it doesn't bother me. The inability to default to sport is really annoying, especially since you can basically customize most settings in the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
speedM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

And the drone hasn't bothered me. I hear it, but most of the other times the I find myself driving with the windows down to hear the exhaust because it's too quiet!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
ADVANT123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Good review- I kept my 97 M3 when I bought my 1M... now I'm wondering if I should sell it and buy a convertible or convert the M3 into a track-only car..
2015 Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Is that South Bay BMW your car is being delivered from ??

WB
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
DavidMc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Nice review. Mine is coming similarly equipped (+ heated seats).
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Well written but this is the best line in the entire post!

Quote:
I also enjoy long walks on the beach at sunset.
      11-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the kind words guys.

iDrive:
My issue isn't that it would get in my line of site, it's that I don't like looking at it because I think it's poorly integrated.

Dealer:
It's a dealer in norcal. Don't know where 'South Bay BMW' is.

Can't wait for the break-in to be over and pull a 'Dan Parker' on my 1M,... and melt some rubber! Your vids and mods really helped me feel better about buying a car sight unseen. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post

Dealer:
It's a dealer in norcal. Don't know where 'South Bay BMW' is.
They are in SoCal.

WB
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

I am interested to get mine broke in and out on the track/autocross because I just have a had time believing that my old STU modded M3 can't beat the stock 1m. M3adjuster has done some head to head testing of the two cars and the stock 1m was faster.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
I also enjoy long walks on the beach at sunset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Well written but this is the best line in the entire post!
I appreciated the review. The quote above did make me pause to reread it. I verified that I wasn't accidnetally browsing the personals section of Craigslist.

I have an identically spec'd car down to the color arriving in a week to a further-north California dealer. The driving impressions are similar to what I gleaned from a spin in a friend's recently-delivered 1M. Ordering the 1M without iDrive has been the major thing nagging me, causing repeated second thoughts.

Thanks for sharing your insight. I'm beyond stoked.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
FLEX///M
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.34]
Congrats on the car, and the choice!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
dominoM
Private Low Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 ZB 6MT

"I also enjoy long walks on the beach at sunset."

Don't forget Pina Coladas, and walks in the rain...

Seriously, nice writeup. After 10 years in a 98 M3 (with slightly fewer mods) this definitely hits home. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Thanks. Enjoyed the read.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0