BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
crumbelieve
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

Thoughts on delaying 1200 mile service?

Hey guys,

I have about 1250 miles (mostly highway) on the clock, and a run-in service appt scheduled for Saturday (by which point I'll have done 1300 miles). I was planning on completing the run-in service and mounting winter tires in the same appointment, but my delivery from tirerack has been delayed. If I postpone the service appointment to accommodate the tire delivery, it will be another week, and likely another 300 miles (putting me at a total of 1600). Is this far too many miles over the limit? Is the car liable to be damaged? Normally, any damage to my car would not be worth the risk, however I have seen other posts where owners were discouraged from bringing the car in before 1200 miles (implying it was ok to "break in" for longer?)

I'd ask my SA, but I don't particularly value his opinion over yours!

Thanks in advance,

Crumb
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
AMP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E34, E39, & E60 M5; E92 M3

Although the delay likely won't cause any mechanical issues, it may pose a problem should you choose to sell the car. On an M car most buyers specifically look to see that the 1200 mile service was completed and that is was done so in a timely manner. 1300 miles? No big deal. 1600 miles, though, may turn off some buyers.
'08 M6 Coupe Stratus/Black
'03 M5 Sedan Imola Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
crumbelieve
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

Thanks for the feedback AMP, I think you're right.

I'm just going to get it serviced. Although I agree that it will mechanically be fine, I know I won't be able to sleep with that possibility on my mind. Selling it, however, will not be on my mind anytime soon!

-Crumb
Appreciate 0