E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Hit and Run advice

11-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Hit and Run advice

So earlier this evening ... went out to get some food.

Parked up wifes discovery and went into kebab shop (petts wood kebab shop - house special thoroughly recommended btw!!).

Anyway.. i hear a car alarm going off, look out of the window and can see the disco but no hazards going off or anything, but behind it is a massive range rover who was trying to reverse park in a space.

They has stopped for a few secs and i was going to pop out to see if they had hit me, but as no hazards on my car and alarm had stopped at this point i didnt bother.

Anyway ... range rover did a u-turn and sodded of ... but i took down the reg plate just in case.

So kebab ready ... popped to car and walked round the back.. and bumper def been hit as 'footrest' part of it has popped out. Must have been a fair whack as that bumper is designed to take a hit of two. Cant see much other damage as too dark to see out there at the moment.

Anyway .. just called 101 (non emergency police line - which costs 15p to call!!!) and they took the details etc and said the car that hit me was local. Been advised to goto the local police station, fill a form in etc and their traffic department would then contact the people directly.

Just wondered if anyone else had this happen to them - and what happens next?

Thanks
      11-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Not good.

The only real problem I can see is even you can't actually say that you witnessed the incident conclusively.

It does not read 100% if you are sure you know what happened.

Any small claim or insurance claim would be thrown out if you can only say I think this is what might have happened.

Unless the RR driver admits once approached.

Wonder what the damage to his car was?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

there are police camera's right there .... and i know the kebab shop owners well enough to ask them to see if they had cctv on it
      11-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
there are police camera's right there .... and i know the kebab shop owners well enough to ask them to see if they had cctv on it
That would help loads and hopefully they have caught what happened beyond doubt.

Hopefully the shop camera will have caught it as the likelyhood of the police making the effort to look through CCTV footage is not great.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Hmm... lets just hope they say they hit it when police knock on their door.

Just wish damn hazards had gone off when alarm went!!
      11-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
jjbirch530d
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw 5 series

feel for your m8 but in todays world of hardship people dont stop and think and drive off, sometimes its easier this way
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

The quicker that you fill in the self reporting form,the quicker someone can be allocated.Hopefully,this will be before any possible damage on the other car,if any,can be repaired.
Secure the CCTV at the kebab place asap as dependent on what sort of system they have(if it's working at all),may mean that it's recorded over in a couple of days.
The Police/council cameras should be available for 28 days,so plenty of time.This is only of use if the camera was pointing at the incident,at that particular time!
As mentioned,damage on the other vehicle only builds part of the 'picture' as you mentioned that you didn't actually witness anything.
If it goes anywhere-your account on a decent statement,possible CCTV footage of either the incident or to show that there's was the only vehicle moving near to yours at the time,should help.
Re possible outcome,it will probably be argued as they had a large 4x4 that they were unaware of any collision.Extent of damage may help to negate this.
Unfortunately,the reality of this sort of situation is that this will probably end up as a battle between insurance companies...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Hmm.. i do wondr though. surely those things have rear sensors??

I need to wait til daylight tomoro to see any other damage - if there is any
      11-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #9
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

What colour was the Range Rover?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 03:59 AM   #10
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Dark coloured!

Looked at the damage today - and it only looks like a bit of platic has popped up - but thinking it might have taken some force to do that and might be worth having it checked out.

Either way ill fill the form in - least if i do find some damage later on then i have done somethign about it. Thing that concerns me a bit is that i parked with both wheels touching the kerb.. so any big knock would have pushed them against the kerb.
      11-25-2011, 04:14 AM   #11
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I find drivers of dark coloured Range Rovers are usually wankers. Hence the question about the colour.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
Fat bassa!!!

Seriously, Gav, you're having no luck with motors this year. Sorry to hear this but it sounds like not too much damage done this time which is good.