E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Stock exhaust repair question

11-30-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
Haydrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI Coupe

A question for all the exhaust experts out there:

So I got hit from the rear.. bumper getting repaired. The right exhaust tip was scratched in the process. Insurance company will pay for the repairs. So an upgrade is not an option.

Now.. apparently the stock tips come as part of the silencer units:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...84&hg=18&fg=20

Here is the questions.. from the factory, all the exhaust pipes are welded together:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80136

But with replacements they are connected via CLAMPING BUSHes per the link above.

My question is.. is that an issue? I would have thought a weld is better? What should I be aware off / ask the repairer.

Apparently the clamping method is the BMW recommended repair method...

How are upgraded systems connected? clamped?

Many thanks

Last edited by Haydrick; 11-30-2011 at 04:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

just like real oem / it's cut and clamp.
clamp is not an issue.
it's a nice design actually.

it's not an option for performance exhaust?
if ur gonna get another oem muff/ why not pay the diff
for a performance one. talk to ur bodyshop.
      11-30-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
Haydrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI Coupe

But why then does the car come from factory welded:

Well the difference would be quite large. The insurance is only paying for the part that connects to the exhaust tip which is just the 1 silencer. An entire upgrade would cost 10x more I'm guessing.

Doesn't a cut-and-clamp setup result in leakages / increased moisture risks or even increase the number of 'vibrating' parts?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
MJR63
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i X-Drive Sedan

Garage List
The factory exhaust is fully welded...one piece. For the BMW PE exhaust you need to cut your stock exhaust and clamp-on the new one. BMW would not use clamp setup if it did not work without issue.
2011 335 X-Drive E90 MTECH 6MT • AST4100's • Vishnu 3.5" DP • Helix FMIC • Procede V5 • M3 Strut Brace • M3 Trunk Lip • LUX H8 • 19" Alufelgen SF-71: 8.5' front, 9.5' rear • Continental ExtremeContact DW Tires
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydrick View Post
But why then does the car come from factory welded:
It comes from the factory welded because it is easier for them to install and manufacturer there.

You do not get a while new exhaust during a repair because the cost would be rediculous. It is all ONE piece from the where it bolts to the downpipes to the exhaust tips. Its about 11feet long and very wide. This would be very expensive for them to ship from Germany to the states if you only needed one muffler, and you would be replacing un-necessary parts. Its more cost effective. Why ship that large exhaust, with 2 secondary cats, all that piping, and 2 mufflers if you need an exhaust tip?

Like mentioned, the OEM repair if you need a muffler, is a cut and clamp method. Nothing wrong with it. Done tons of them, no fitment issues, or leaks either. The BMW Performance exhaust is done the same way. Cut off the old stuff and clamp the new one on.
Appreciate 0