E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > AUDI a stiff competitor to BMW

05-16-2007, 06:35 AM   #1
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

AUDI a stiff competitor to BMW

As im so innocently waiting for snail pace BMW AUS to make the M-sports kit official on the e92 so i can put my order through for a 335. What AUDI does is put out a marvellous S5 for me to drool over.
i have had a chat with an AUDI dealership to find out an estimation on the price of an s5, sales rep said around 130k. That is very close to the ONO price of a 335 with my options. If the s5 is around this price then im definately going to opt for the Audi muscle instead of the 335.

i have always loved V8's and all sorts of muscle cars and im only hoping for AUDI to be smart with pricing here in AUS. If the S5 is going to compete with the 335 the price must be similar, so that leaves the RS5 to compete with the M3 (my logic speaking). i can't wait till the october release of this car, i need to have a test drive. Some opinions on this car from fellow members are appreciated. (if you are going to knock the cars looks then don't post)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.G View Post
As im so innocently waiting for snail pace BMW AUS to make the M-sports kit official on the e92 so i can put my order through for a 335. What AUDI does is put out a marvellous S5 for me to drool over.
i have had a chat with an AUDI dealership to find out an estimation on the price of an s5, sales rep said around 130k. That is very close to the ONO price of a 335 with my options. If the s5 is around this price then im definately going to opt for the Audi muscle instead of the 335.

i have always loved V8's and all sorts of muscle cars and im only hoping for AUDI to be smart with pricing here in AUS. If the S5 is going to compete with the 335 the price must be similar, so that leaves the RS5 to compete with the M3 (my logic speaking). i can't wait till the october release of this car, i need to have a test drive. Some opinions on this car from fellow members are appreciated. (if you are going to knock the cars looks then don't post)
I know i will be condemed, but yeah i wouldn't mind having an S5 either mate. Mind you i think the 335i with an M sport package will look better, but the engine of the S5 does appeal to me a little more. Keep us posted with which way your leaning.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep

im glad im not the only one that likes this new beast by AUDI. I hate waiting for things, if only the details on this car were confirmed so i could make my decision. ill definately keep posting details.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 07:18 AM   #4
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
im glad im not the only one that likes this new beast by AUDI. I hate waiting for things, if only the details on this car were confirmed so i could make my decision. ill definately keep posting details.
Cool, so you going to sign up for the revived cruise/meet, looks like a bit more interest this time...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep

^thanks for reminding me
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
^thanks for reminding me
No probs mate!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

The S5 looks like it will be a winner. It will deffinitly be something more exclusive than a BMW with an M-sport kit which are only marginally differentiated visually by a badge on the trunk. Don't get me wrong, the BMW is still a great car but the Audi is also a worthy competitor. Tougth choice to make but good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
BMW3FXD
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport (on order)

There is a first drive review of the S5 is this month's UK What Car magazine. It doesn't live up to their expectations and their conclusion is basically that it is OK but doesn't have the driver appeal of a 3 series coupe.

I personally also think both the exterior and interior look a bit plain but the fact that the rear seats are difficult to access, as the front seats don't slide on tilt is the killer for me! (I have kids and an MPV but they still regularly ride in the e92)

I also think we will see quite a lot of S5's on the roads over the next couple of years - an e92 M Sport is likely be just as exclusive in the UK at least. I've done nearly 2k mile since I got mine last month and haven't seen another one yet!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
The S5 looks like it will be a winner. It will deffinitly be something more exclusive than a BMW with an M-sport kit which are only marginally differentiated visually by a badge on the trunk. Don't get me wrong, the BMW is still a great car but the Audi is also a worthy competitor. Tougth choice to make but good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks, its just a waiting game now till the release of the s5 and the M-sports kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #10
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3FXD View Post
There is a first drive review of the S5 is this month's UK What Car magazine. It doesn't live up to their expectations and their conclusion is basically that it is OK but doesn't have the driver appeal of a 3 series coupe.

I personally also think both the exterior and interior look a bit plain but the fact that the rear seats are difficult to access, as the front seats don't slide on tilt is the killer for me! (I have kids and an MPV but they still regularly ride in the e92)

I also think we will see quite a lot of S5's on the roads over the next couple of years - an e92 M Sport is likely be just as exclusive in the UK at least. I've done nearly 2k mile since I got mine last month and haven't seen another one yet!
I really did hope the reviews on this car would be similar to the ones on the 335. In the end it all comes down to a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
*sigh* Double posting... My attempts to cull this phenomenon are fruitless I see…
      05-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #12
daninsyd
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

i'd swap my 335 in a second for a S5 however i think they will be in the order of 140-150- drive away.... being that a rs4 is 170 drive away
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 04:03 AM   #13
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3FXD View Post

I agree with you, the side view of the S5 looks like a RIP OFF of the 335 anyway and I personally cannot stand the big ugly gaping mouth that is so distinctive to most new Audis (that's what turns me right off). If you want driving dynamics in an Audi then it has to be an RS- then you pay through your teeth.

It's already a 6 month wait for a new E92 so by the time the M sport package becomes available from the factory Australians will be waiting a year or more from now for an E92 M sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninsyd View Post
i'd swap my 335 in a second for a S5 however i think they will be in the order of 140-150- drive away.... being that a rs4 is 170 drive away
Curious to know why? The E92 335 is a great car (I've done over 7500 kms already), you haven't even driven the S5 and expect to pay more for it? Is this a case of the grass being greener or a desire to be the first guy on the block with one?

By the way no one has mentioned the severe depreciation which Audi vehicles (somewhat unjustly) are saddled with (no one wants a second hand Audi). I know that was a consideration when I was looking for a new car.

05-18-2007, 04:17 AM   #14
steve02492
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbeemer View Post
I agree with you, the side view of the S5 looks like a RIP OFF of the 335 anyway and I personally cannot stand the big ugly gaping mouth that is so distinctive to most new Audis (that's what turns me right off).
I agree with you! That front grill is an eye sore in my opinion, and I suspect that it will bother me even more when I see an S5 in person. What were they thinking?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 06:33 AM   #15
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbeemer View Post
I agree with you, the side view of the S5 looks like a RIP OFF of the 335 anyway and I personally cannot stand the big ugly gaping mouth that is so distinctive to most new Audis (that's what turns me right off). If you want driving dynamics in an Audi then it has to be an RS- then you pay through your teeth.

It's already a 6 month wait for a new E92 so by the time the M sport package becomes available from the factory Australians will be waiting a year or more from now for an E92 M sport.

Curious to know why? The E92 335 is a great car (I've done over 7500 kms already), you haven't even driven the S5 and expect to pay more for it? Is this a case of the grass being greener or a desire to be the first guy on the block with one?

By the way no one has mentioned the severe depreciation which Audi vehicles (somewhat unjustly) are saddled with (no one wants a second hand Audi). I know that was a consideration when I was looking for a new car.

I'd reserve judgement till I drove it at least. As for the grill ... each to their own as I personally don't mind it.

Depreciation has been an issue with Audi in the past but I think this is somewhat changing. Audi's market perception is changing for the better. I have a customer with the RS4 wagon and he purchased an RS6 for his wife about 6 months ago trading in her M3 convertable. I've been told he also has an order in for an R8. This guy was a die hard BMW "M" man and now has badly gone off them. His view is that the quality in the Audi is much better than BMW. I can't argue as I have never owned an Audi and again everyone will have their own perception.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 06:37 AM   #16
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

I don't know much about the S5 but I love the RS4.

I had a RS4 drive past me once at full throttle. It sounded unbelievable.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #17
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep

What’s the point of saying “I don’t like the look of the car” etc etc, I mean its not like any of us care what you as an individual like about a car.
As for most of us, especially members on this forum have a great liking for the looks of this new coupe by AUDI. As for dynamics of the car, Audi isn't stupid to make an S model with little dynamics. After all Audi does recognize BMW as a competitor and this model was made to directly compete with the 3 series coupe. It would be illogical to make an S model that is inferior to a 335.

Some people in here have bought a 335 coupe or sedan and have the mentality that nothing that is made by competitors will be in anyway better then there rides. I mean the S5 hasn't even landed here yet and talk of poor dynamics has been hinted in posts. I know that this car has an average review by a BRIT mag/show but one review doesn't mean anything. I mean the 335 has received a lot of negative reviews but instead we had members here disagree to what has been said and still bought there cars. its sad but unfortunately there are members here who are major BMW FANBOYS. If you haven't driven the car then don’t post irrelevant comments that are easily recognisable as bullshit.

Last edited by Chris.G; 05-18-2007 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #18
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post
I don't know much about the S5 but I love the RS4.

I had a RS4 drive past me once at full throttle. It sounded unbelievable.

Cheers.
they had one for a pace car at the A1 gp here in syd!!
      05-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #19
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Quote:
I didn't bring up the notion of looks to drool over and I didn't wait to buy a car just so I can pay a few thousand more for a different steering wheel and some bits of plastic (the 335 already has m-sport suspension so what are you really waiting for besides cosmetic changes to an already great car) to make it look faster.

Quote:
What’s the point of saying “I don’t like the look of the car” etc etc, I mean its not like any of us care what you as an individual like about a car.
As for most of us, especially members on this forum have a great liking for the looks of this new coupe by AUDI. As for dynamics of the car, Audi isn't stupid to make an S model with little dynamics. After all Audi does recognize BMW as a competitor and this model was made to directly compete with the 3 series coupe. It would be illogical to make an S model that is inferior to a 335.

Some people in here have bought a 335 coupe or sedan and have the mentality that nothing that is made by competitors will be in anyway better then there rides. I mean the S5 hasn't even landed here yet and talk of poor dynamics has been hinted in posts. I know that this car has an average review by a BRIT mag/show but one review doesn't mean anything. I mean the 335 has received a lot of negative reviews but instead we had members here disagree to what has been said and still bought there cars. its sad but unfortunately there are members here who are major BMW FANBOYS. If you haven't driven the car then don’t post irrelevant comments that are easily recognisable as bullshit.
I may sound like a fan boy but, you know, I know there are plenty of great cars out there and some great competition for the 335. The 335 did NOT get "a lot of negative reviews" and not liking the cup holder design does not count. If you have evidence, please use it and refrain from rash generalisations. "As for most of us" - who are you referring to? I express an opinion (which we are all entitled to - perhaps your very defensive and personal vitriol would have been more restained had I prefaced each sentence with "IMHO") and I get "I mean its not like any of us care what you as an individual like about a car." This is a forum and a BMW forum at that. If you want unrestrained gushing complements about Audis then go to an Audi forum. I can take criticism very easily but I actually DO care what people think and value others opinions. Not everyone has to agree with you pal and they don't deserve to be shot down on their aestheic tastes. We should be glad that we're all different.

Yes, the S5 hasn't landed here yet but there IS a review of the S5 dynamics and it is NOT overwhelmingly positive like the E92's was. So I'm happy to be corrected when more reviews come out and I'll even take one for a test myself and give the forum my opinion (don't worry- you won't have to read that one, or ANY other thread which contains peoples opinions because you DON'T CARE)

The number of times I've had to bite my tongue on this forum when I wanted to say something really negative or to point out someone's poor taste/ignorance/stupidity/narrowmindedness, but I restrained myself to keep a positive feeling- at least in the Australian section. But I must be tired or something because I felt I couldn't let you go this time.

By the way, what sort of "informed" comments were you after when you said "Some opinions on this car from fellow members are appreciated.", since none of us have driven or even seen this model in the flesh?

Rant over.

Buddy, you need to chill out a bit and realise that not everyone here has the same ideas, perceptions, expectations or opinions about cars and that there will always be a BMW bias in a BMW forum. I'm actually a nice guy and happy to forget about all this and keep the Aussie section as friendly as possible.

05-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #20
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good post above, everyone's here for an enjoyment of cars. Your always going to get differing opinions so it's something to get used to. Just because someone doesn't like the look of a car or the cup holder etc shouldn't take away from the owners enjoyment of it. I buy cars that I like and enjoy, alternatively I've never lost sleep because some person I've never met on the internet says X about Y.

It's just a car forum at the end of the day and a place to post and check out other peoples toys etc, it's all in good fun I reckon!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #21
scheps
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TTMK2

yea i cant wait till S5 comes out .. to just test drive.. not to buy... cant afford it
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #22
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

I don't care what motoring journalist say because I don't buy cars just because someone said it was fantastic. It's got to be "fantastic" to you and everyone has a different view of what makes it "fantastic". I like reading the articles but I make up my own mind.

All I'm trying to say is let's keep positive and respect and understand the benefits of diversity.
Appreciate 0