E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Extended maintenance plan

12-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 G37S Loaded

Extended maintenance plan

Hey there guys and gals.

I have a 2008 328i E90 with 41,000 milea Currently im covered under the factory maintenance bumper to bumper. That is set to expire in may of 2012, then the CPO warranty takes over.

Has anyone bought the extended maintenance plan? My SA is quoting me 2095$ for the plan.

Do you guys think it\'s worth it? It doesn\'t extend the factory warranty, does it? I mean, will it cover all the little fraying and peeling pieces like the original warranty does? Or does it just cover the major things like brakes etc etc. Also, does it work at all dealerships like the original does? We\'re thinking of moving across tr country and I don\'t want to be stuck with a warranty only valid in San Francisco!

Let me know your feedback, I really appreciate your help and input.
      12-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
it will work at all dealerships
i'm pretty sure it's just maintenance, aka regularly changed items, such as brakes, oil changes, maybe spark plugs, air filters etc.

you're pretty much paying to have the dealer do your service. maybe some day i'll have enough money where I'd rather get my car serviced at the dealer than waste time calling local shops for the best price.
As for convenience, most service items are under an hour or two, and i know my dealer doesn't lend out loaner vehicles unless the service will take longer than 8 hours or so.

Bottomline, take your car to an indy and save $$. with the maintenance plan, you're just paying for dealer service. Who knows, you might end up only doing one set of brakes and two oil changes, or a full brake job and three oil changes. I think you'll end up on top at an indy either way, but basically you're gambling on whether you will use up the full potential of your plan.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:06 AM   #3
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

The extended maintenance plan is not worth it. As davidkneiber said, it covers 2 - 3 oil changes, maybe a set of brakes, wiper blades and a brake fluid flush. All of these services can be adequately performed by any independent BMW shop. There is no need to pay dealership labor rates for this type of work. Leave the dealership to repairing warranty items under the CPO and find a good independent BMW-trained mechanic. You'll save money. Just to make it clear, only take your BMW to a BMW trained mechanic for service; anyone else will eventually f'up your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 G37S Loaded

Thanks guys, very helpful. 2,000 for oil changes and brakes, oi.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Is it too late to get my money back? I bought the plan last August, I got a 4 year old car and I was the 3rd owner at 44,300 miles. I still have CPO for 2 years left.

Pretty much CPO is more on engine/fuel/transmission worries yes? No suspension?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
The extended maintenance plan is not worth it.
Absolutely agree.

Appreciate 0