E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > crash!

12-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

crash!

Last week, some chaps van rolled down the hill and landed in the back of my car. The tow bar left a sizeable dent in the right corner of the bumper and cracked it along some of the crease through the middle - along with scrapes to parts of the bumber, boot.

I rang the guy (number on the van) - and was very pleasant with him. The local community beat officer was on the scene too and took a few notes. I wasn't nasty with the guy - told him not to worry and that these things happen. I told him I'd get a few quotes and he can either pay for it or he can call his insurance. A few days later, I rang him with a quote from a BMW approved body shop (£1200) - he started to get a bit funny and said he'd call his insurance. That was on Thursday, last week. I asked him to pop into the Deli and pick the quote up on Saturday, to which he said he would - he never showed. I then asked him to come on Tuesday or Wednesday - he didn't. I text him yesterday, asking if he could pick the quote up and call his insurance soon - as I'm wanting to get the car up for sale and can't do so until the car is fixed.

He's not been today and he's blanked my message.

I know it's not the best time of the year to be making a claim off your insurance - but I need it fixed quickly for my own needs. Should I back off and leave it until after Christmas? give him a few more days? or call my insurance?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
JJD
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

You gave him a chance, he KB it. I'd get onto the insurance.

He was probably thinking it'd be a couple of hundred quid (maybe it could be if you went somewhere else) £1200 is enough to make anyone wince.

Keep in mind that if it goes through the insurance you will have to declare a claim at each renewal, some insurance companies want to now about these things over the last 5 years! Unfair? I know, I paid for an uninsured driver running into me.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Cheers JJD.

If I call my insurance, does that mean I will have to pay an excess for a non fault claim?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Drop him a Text or a recorded letter giving a time limit to respond. If you don't hear anything then let your insurers deal with it.

Hope all gets sorted quickly.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
I would be tempted to call in someone like accident exchange. They'll set their dogs on him and pursue the claim aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
buckethead
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 320d msport

i would be getting a quote from a good indy bodyshop, so i could come to a deal with the van owner instead of having my insurance premium loaded for years to come

a bmw approved workshop is nothing special apart from a bit of warranty but if your selling the car does it matter
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

I would call the police and get them to call him, in my opinion he is taking you for a mug.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
buckethead
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 320d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
Cheers JJD.

If I call my insurance, does that mean I will have to pay an excess for a non fault claim?
you wont have to pay the excess for a non fault claim.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
I would call the police and get them to call him, in my opinion he is taking you for a mug.
plus one.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:38 AM   #10
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcampbell View Post
I would be tempted to call in someone like accident exchange. They'll set their dogs on him and pursue the claim aggressively.
I don't often agree with the use of these types of companies but I think in this case it's the right thing to do.

If it was me I'd speak to the Police to see what their advice was although I doubt they will want to get involved unless it was a case of the guy not having insurance. I'd then contact the van driver and inform him of what my next course of action was going to be (probably claims management company or Police involvement) as this may make him realise he's not getting off with this one.

If the claim goes through insurance it will need to be declared for the next 3 to 5 years come renewal time. It will be regarded as a non fault claim which will affect your insurance premium but only minimally. You will not have to pay any excess or any other costs for the claim no matter what.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #11
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Sounds like a right tosser to me . He should do what ever it takes to make you happy, It wasnt your fault get it fixed were you want and make his insurance pay up,

It makes my blood boil , frickin guy is defo trying it on , Call your INS company now and get the ball rolling .
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Personally, I'd do this...

1 - speak to the rozzers, then record their 'couldn't give a fuck' response for posterity
2 - advise the gent in writing that you have spoken to the rozzers, include any documented numbers or other shit that they include as part of their 'couldn't give a fuck' response and state you will be contacting the money grabbing bastard type lawyers next. If you feel kind, include a non BMW repair quote - but personally I would go with who I wanted to use, if that was BMW then so be it
3 - contact the money grabbing bastard lawyers and unleash hell

Simples. Why waste your time chasing up some cockroach? Only word of caution would be to bear in mind that he may think your having it on with the quote from BMW - so make sure he has everything he needs to prove it is legit, including someone to contact at the dealer etc.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Personally, I'd do this...

1 - speak to the rozzers, then record their 'couldn't give a fuck' response for posterity
2 - advise the gent in writing that you have spoken to the rozzers, include any documented numbers or other shit that they include as part of their 'couldn't give a fuck' response and state you will be contacting the money grabbing bastard type lawyers next. If you feel kind, include a non BMW repair quote - but personally I would go with who I wanted to use, if that was BMW then so be it
3 - contact the money grabbing bastard lawyers and unleash hell

Simples. Why waste your time chasing up some cockroach? Only word of caution would be to bear in mind that he may think your having it on with the quote from BMW - so make sure he has everything he needs to prove it is legit, including someone to contact at the dealer etc.

Matt
+1

That has been my experience of Dorset's finest when I reported damage to one of my cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
dakhu1
love the 'GT ROAD'....bruuuaaah!
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport & 118D M Sport

I would do what you have to do as you have given him ample opportunity to do the right thing. The longer it goes on the weaker your case gets and the more likely he will try and wriggle out of it.

I had a similar incident years ago (on Xmas Eve) when a slightly drunk idiot hit my car and played the compassionate card, about how he would lose his job as a taxi driver and kids would go hungry and all that. He said he would pay for the damage out of pocket. Days later, he denied the whole thing....

Never will I make that mistake again.

Good luck with it mate!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

vaheed - sent you a PM
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #16
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Just goto ur insurance and say this twat hit my car on said day. they will sort the rest out. non fault claims dont add to your premium. maybe if u have a few it might. if u have protected no claims then ur even less likey to get increased premiums. i think the 1200quid is way to much for the fella to swallow and he will just take the hit on his insurance. if u ever bother to tell them!!!! Hes almost counting on u not to. if this dude has no insurance then ur insurance company would take them to court etc....maybe
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Do you know if he actually has insurance?

This site allows you to check your own car is on the insurance database. You can check others too although that's not really allowed, but who knows?

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

I'd accidently punch his reg in just to see.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #18
spandeli
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320D M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
Really? Iam an autobolile assessor for an insurance company over here.

When these things happen, both ins companies will send as assessor to estimate the damage. Your company will take care pf that.

Then your insurance company pays the damage, you will have to pay for the excess as well, and then your ins. company will go and demand the paid amount from the guys ins. company.

You do nothing at all..

As soon as they get paid, they will refund your excess..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #19
mv57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by spandeli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
Really? Iam an autobolile assessor for an insurance company over here.

When these things happen, both ins companies will send as assessor to estimate the damage. Your company will take care pf that.

Then your insurance company pays the damage, you will have to pay for the excess as well, and then your ins. company will go and demand the paid amount from the guys ins. company.

You do nothing at all..

As soon as they get paid, they will refund your excess..
Really? I've had a few
Knocks not my fault and never been out o pocket or
Made to pay excess. That was with directline. They dealt with everything.

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 05:16 AM   #20
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Well chaps, still no contact and the quote is still the Deli. I will ring him today and if there's no response, i'll give the PO-lice a call and ask them to contact him.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 05:49 AM   #21
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Have you checked if he has insurance yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 05:53 AM   #22
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Have you checked if he has insurance yet?
I would but have left the details at Work!
Appreciate 0