2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications F10 550i xDrive Custom S.S. 3" Exhaust

12-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Frozen Grey M5

F10 550i xDrive Custom S.S. 3" Exhaust

Just got the first picture of the custom 3" exhaust that RD Fabs in upstate NY is building for my car. They replaced the stock piping starting from the first set of cats off the down pipe all the way back to the stock mufflers while deleted the second set of cats & the resonator and added a custom X-Pipe.

This is a true 3" exhaust all the way back and there is no reduction in diameter on the bends. They are going to replace the stock hex tips with 4 x 3.5" Dimisa Tips while keeping the factory exhaust valve assemblies intact. I was looking for a little more performace and a little more rumble but NOT a loud exhaust so thats why I decided to keep the stock mufflers.

I will post pics of the tips and some audio once I get the car back this Sunday.

I had a real hard time finding a shop that does mandrel bending...ie no reduction on the bends. RD Fabs uses pre-bent parts and welds them all together which gives you the same end result. He also polishes the whole exhaust for a very nice look.

He also uses a thicker SS pipe than most shops do which also adds a little more value to the job.

I really didnt want to spend $5000 on an exhaust that just makes a whole bunch of noise. The F10 is a fast luxary 4-dr sedan, NOT a modified sports car that makes a whole lot of noise. Im 38yrs old and I have been there and done that in my earlier years and dont need to go down that road again.

Total cost with new tips was about $2000. Pretty reasonable..

Cant wait to get it back........

First pic shows the exhaust before it was polished and the second shows it polished....
Attached Images

Last edited by dmetuning; 12-08-2011 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

That looks great! What about your electric cutouts?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
That looks great! What about your electric cutouts?
Thanks....F**K those cutouts....lol

Couldnt take the shitty job the local exhaust shop did removing the cutouts..ie losing like .5" on the bends. If anything, once I get the replacement cutouts back from the MFR, I'll have my in-house machine shop re-design them to not leak and then maybe Ill have one installed in the middle of the x-pipe facing back. Having only one will reduce any chance of a leak and provide a little more backpressure which the car needs....we will see but I think I will be happy the way it is....exhaust cutouts = headaches

I also saw an article that said you lose about 4% of your HP and 3% of your torque if the exhaust is not mandrel bent....They even showed a dyno to prove it so lets hope thats true and I get some better performance. They said the higher the HP and torque, the more noticable it is.......ie 4% of 500HP = 20HP and 3% of 580ft/lbs = 17ft/lbs torque....

Last edited by dmetuning; 12-08-2011 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
EBRSKIH
Chef
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

That looks real good..sound clip asap please. My exhaust isnt mandrel bent and I can definitely feel less power when launching it, but on the highway its the complete opposite as it seems to get to top speed faster than before I had the exhaust done.
2011 550i Sapphire Black
- 12.960@109 - lemon'd
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
Edman951
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3, Capparis White

Quote:
I really didnt want to spend $5000 on an exhaust that just makes a whole bunch of noise.
Yeah i agrea,
I don't get the 3000$ clamp on mufflers from EU.

nice work, cant wait to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
KRUZNM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Nice! Can't wait to hear sound clips! Great choice on the Dimisa tips! They're sweet!

https://www.instagram.com/kruznm3/
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
Susoa
4 Star General
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC

I think after doing all the research, this is the way I'm going to go also. I talked to the BMW shop foreman and he recommended starting with the x pipe. So that's what I'm thinking of doing. I'll keep the stock muffler and resonators. He said they don't give owners a hard time on exhaust mods, past the downpipes, and they don't care if you do a CAI.
I'm interested to see how it sounds with the center muffler and the resonators removed with stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

good shit!

any updates? n wut kinda tips u gett'n?

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Got the car back. We didnt install the tips yet because we would of had to remove the muffler flaps which I was a little worried about. I wanted to test around with the muffler flaps and see what the car sounded like with them wide open before removing them.

The car is so so much faster that I cant even believe it. On the highway the car rips like never before. The throttle response is amazing, it snaps your head to the headrest every time....WOW...Love it....

The car sounds completly stock except when you get on it which is exactly what I was looking for. You really wouldnt even know I have an exhaust which makes it even more amuzing....I would say that compared to stock, the car is about 10% louder which isnt much but pretty much all I was looking for. I take 4hour drives up and down the NY thruway between my NJ and Upstate house so its perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Susoa
4 Star General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by middly View Post
Got the car back. We didnt install the tips yet because we would of had to remove the muffler flaps which I was a little worried about. I wanted to test around with the muffler flaps and see what the car sounded like with them wide open before removing them.

The car is so so much faster that I cant even believe it. On the highway the car rips like never before. The throttle response is amazing, it snaps your head to the headrest every time....WOW...Love it....

The car sounds completly stock except when you get on it which is exactly what I was looking for. You really wouldnt even know I have an exhaust which makes it even more amuzing....I would say that compared to stock, the car is about 10% louder which isnt much but pretty much all I was looking for. I take 4hour drives up and down the NY thruway between my NJ and Upstate house so its perfect.

So, let me get this straight...You removed the stock resonators and center muffler and installed 3" pipe with x pipe to the stock exhaust?

As for the exhaust flap, did you leave this like it was from the factory?

Any drone?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

[quote=Susoa;10984730]So, let me get this straight...You removed the stock resonators and center muffler and installed 3" pipe with x pipe to the stock MUFFLERS?

YES

As for the exhaust flap, did you leave this like it was from the factory?

YES

Any drone?

NONE

The car sounds pretty much stock..........
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

here is a pic...not a great one but the only one I have right now....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susoa View Post
I think after doing all the research, this is the way I'm going to go also. I talked to the BMW shop foreman and he recommended starting with the x pipe. So that's what I'm thinking of doing. I'll keep the stock muffler and resonators. He said they don't give owners a hard time on exhaust mods, past the downpipes, and they don't care if you do a CAI.
I'm interested to see how it sounds with the center muffler and the resonators removed with stock exhaust.

BTW...The position of the xpipe is the most important aspect of this job. You need to position the xpipe as close to the engine as you can. With xdrive, the closest is the way I have it but with 2wd, you should be able to place it closer which is better. Also, the resonators should all be removed if you are installing a xpipe.

Last edited by dmetuning; 12-15-2011 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

I forgot to mention the best part.....my car was like 17mpg and now its like 20mpg....big savings....
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #15
dblock2151
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Msport DG

Awesome, would love to meet up one day to hear it. I wouldn't mind going to your shop as the quality is worth the 100+ miles
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #16
Susoa
4 Star General
Rep

Looks like this is the way I'll be going. Thanks for the write up!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #17
tws_andrew
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 AW CP M5, Turbo S, TT Ram

I am going down this exact path as well but I basically had my builder copy what he sees yet to be released on the magnaflow site. I have it all bent just need it welded up and need to decide on tips. I was going to go with some vibrant slanted 3" tips. What I am really waiting for is a tuner I can work with. I know the Dinan will make power and with a full 3" it should make more power but I would really like a tuner that I can dyno tune with to get the most out of this motor. With the numbers the X5M has put down you know there is a ton of headroom in this motor even with stock turbos. Just cannot find a tuner to work with. ESS made a bunch of claims and won't ever respond with a dyno sheet. Is there just not enough demand with this motor. Seems like if a few of us could get together and drop the 3k dinan wants with ESS or OE tuning we could get a proper pump gas and race gas tune that would put down an honest 500whp with a free flow exhaust without stressing things too much. Any thoughts
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #18
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tws_andrew View Post
I am going down this exact path as well but I basically had my builder copy what he sees yet to be released on the magnaflow site. I have it all bent just need it welded up and need to decide on tips. I was going to go with some vibrant slanted 3" tips. What I am really waiting for is a tuner I can work with. I know the Dinan will make power and with a full 3" it should make more power but I would really like a tuner that I can dyno tune with to get the most out of this motor. With the numbers the X5M has put down you know there is a ton of headroom in this motor even with stock turbos. Just cannot find a tuner to work with. ESS made a bunch of claims and won't ever respond with a dyno sheet. Is there just not enough demand with this motor. Seems like if a few of us could get together and drop the 3k dinan wants with ESS or OE tuning we could get a proper pump gas and race gas tune that would put down an honest 500whp with a free flow exhaust without stressing things too much. Any thoughts
Do not worry my friend. The ESS tune is indeed on the brink of release. We expect to have more information after the new year.
      02-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #19
Edman951
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3, Capparis White

from your Dinan stg 3 tune, you got your muffler all settled in.
Can you post soem picture of the final set-up?
How does it sound?
video would be cool too
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #20
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

BUMP
Appreciate 0